The Juicing Thread

tropo

I haven't juiced in some time and my previous juicer was a chore to clean, the juicers discused seem much improved.

Has anyone tried bitter melon ? it's an acquired taste but I'm curious in it's raw form if it's overwhelming and what other fruit or vegetable could be used to mask the bitterness? Raw and cooked it's a good source of vitamins and a quick google search on health benefits may surprise some, the research isn't conclusive but I've tried to incorporate it into my diet and like the idea of it being juiced.

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-bitter-melonbitter-gourd/

I know that as "bitter gourd". I've cooked it for my wife, but I can't handle it myself. She calls it "ampalaya" - they love it in the Philippines.

You may have noticed that I incorporate lemon and lime in my concoctions. This is mainly to counter the bitter taste of some of the vegetables. You could try that and report back as I'm sure this bitter vegetable has many health benefits. I would suggest experimenting with the quantity of lemon to make it palatable.

• Like 1

I love bitter melon!

My wife makes a fine dish of it precooking it and throwing away the first boil water to lessen

the bitterness ( after I found out I asked her not to precook and we liked it both more, full bitterness

for the max taste bud pleasure ).

Juiced bitter melon is very rewarding, I like it mixed with guava and/or pineapple.

• Like 1

I love bitter melon!

My wife makes a fine dish of it precooking it and throwing away the first boil water to lessen

the bitterness ( after I found out I asked her not to precook and we liked it both more, full bitterness

Juiced bitter melon is very rewarding, I like it mixed with guava and/or pineapple.

I don't want to add sweet fruit juices to make it palatable. How bitter is the bitter melon juice on it's own? It doesn't really need to taste that good as I just skull my vegetable juice anyway.

I'll grab one of those next time I shop and give it a go.

New ingredient today - long green beans.

• Like 1

I love bitter melon!

I don't want to add sweet fruit juices to make it palatable. How bitter is the bitter melon juice on it's own? It doesn't really need to taste that good as I just skull my vegetable juice anyway.

Pretty fkn bitter. It's not just a name.

I love bitter melon!

I suspect it would be pretty nasty. I'm going to try a small quantity mixed up with all my other ingredients. I'm just not into bitter. Coincidentally, last night I was watching a news story on BBC about the huge price increase of bitter gourd in India... apparently it's an extremely popular vegetable there. It's really hard for me to believe this vege (or is it a fruit?) has so many fans.

How much did you pay for your Hurom juicer?

Edited by tropo

I love bitter melon!

I would locate it somewhere between a badly prepared unsweetened coffee and an infusion of Artemisia absinthium (absinthe wormwood, green ginger), still bitter enough to let a child vomit... but then, you are already grown up, aren't you?

I love bitter melon!

I would locate it somewhere between a badly prepared unsweetened coffee and an infusion of Artemisia absinthium (absinthe wormwood, green ginger), still bitter enough to let a child vomit... but then, you are already grown up, aren't you?

I'm done with growing up - I'm growing back down again.biggrin.png

If you could convince me that there's benefits to swallowing juice from that horrible plant, then I'd take it. The juice that I'm currently making is not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.

I love bitter melon!

I suspect it would be pretty nasty. I'm going to try a small quantity mixed up with all my other ingredients. I'm just not into bitter. Coincidentally, last night I was watching a news story on BBC about the huge price increase of bitter gourd in India... apparently it's an extremely popular vegetable there. It's really hard for me to believe this vege (or is it a fruit?) has so many fans.

How much did you pay for your Hurom juicer?

You can take the bite off the bitterness by cooking or even just dunking it in hot water / soup. Some of the Thai dishes that use it I quite like (as with most Thai dishes, they are seasoned so that there isn't just one dominant flavour). Perhaps it's an acquired taste; very good for you anyway.

I bought the Hurom H-500 for 11900.

For the extra 2000 Baht over the H-200 you get less RPM, an outlet cap that allows you to adjust the mix / flavour concentration of your juices and some other stuff that's apparently quite good according to some online reviews. The two that I mentioned stood out the most to me and what the hell, I was feeling flush!

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

...If you could convince me that there's benefits to swallowing juice from that horrible plant, then I'd take it. The juice that I'm currently making is not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.

That's the fun about juicing; gustatory sense liminal experiences!

ToddWeston gave an interesting link about bitter gourd... with your diabetic history maybe worth a try.

Personally I drink it because I can't get my hands on Papaver somniferum for the heavenly bitterness

I am longing for.

...If you could convince me that there's benefits to swallowing juice from that horrible plant, then I'd take it. The juice that I'm currently making is not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination.

ToddWeston gave an interesting link about bitter gourd... with your diabetic history maybe worth a try.

Personally I drink it because I can't get my hands on Papaver somniferum for the heavenly bitterness

I am longing for.

I took the first step. I have one in the fridge ready to go.

• Like 2

Congrats on the juicing!

Here is a nice chart although some of the greens have to be substituted pending availability.

http://www.superhealthykids.com/uploads/files/11375/xlarge/howtomakeagreensmoothie.jpg

Also a PEELED frozen banana is a nice way to make it a bit more "smoothie like" and make it sweeter. Also coconut water.

Congrats on the juicing!

Here is a nice chart although some of the greens have to be substituted pending availability.

http://www.superhealthykids.com/uploads/files/11375/xlarge/howtomakeagreensmoothie.jpg

Also a PEELED frozen banana is a nice way to make it a bit more "smoothie like" and make it sweeter. Also coconut water.

Thanks for the link, but I need my drinks to be as liquid as possible to make their passage as fast as possible. As it is, with the Hurom juicer I get a fair bit of pulp in the juice...but I consume that for extra benefit.

I am longing for.

I took the first step. I have one in the fridge ready to go.

I did it! I threw a 5 inch chunk of apalaya (bitter gourd) into the mix. It didn't affect the flavour at all - it's just as disgusting as without it.

When my wife comes downstairs to the kitchen she remarks how she can smell "grass" after I've juiced and my breath smells like that of a carabou (buffalo). I said the only difference is that the carabou definitely enjoys consuming grass more than I do.biggrin.png

I must say that my energy levels are way up on what they were pre-juicing.

• Like 2

Hi tropo, I have been juicing for years in Europe, had 3 different juicers, the last one brand a "Twin health" but since it weight 24pounds it did not come with me, smile.png I am retired definitely in Samui.

My question where do you bought your juicer? Not sure I understood? online? I must buy one in Thailand for juicing is magic for one health.

For instance red beetroot for the liver, pomegranate for prostate, water melon for the bladder, blueberries for the eyes, I stop here but there are many many more, and of course the chlorophylle! The hemoglobin of the red blood cell and the chlorophylle of the plants are almost identical in molecular structure, with a difference in the central atom, In hemoglobin it's iron in chlorophylle it's magnesium. (You can Google simply chlorophylle+health)

So go on with your new hobby clap2.gif

Hi tropo, I have been juicing for years in Europe, had 3 different juicers, the last one brand a "Twin health" but since it weight 24pounds it did not come with me, smile.png I am retired definitely in Samui.

My question where do you bought your juicer? Not sure I understood? online? I must buy one in Thailand for juicing is magic for one health.

For instance red beetroot for the liver, pomegranate for prostate, water melon for the bladder, blueberries for the eyes, I stop here but there are many many more, and of course the chlorophylle! The hemoglobin of the red blood cell and the chlorophylle of the plants are almost identical in molecular structure, with a difference in the central atom, In hemoglobin it's iron in chlorophylle it's magnesium. (You can Google simply chlorophylle+health)

I bought the Hurom juicer at Central Department store in Pattaya. I'm not sure where you'd find one down in Samui.

I bought the Hurom juicer at Central Department store in Pattaya. I'm not sure where you'd find one down in Samui.

I am going for one week in Bangkok... next week, in the meantime I did found where to find it in Bangkok, problem I hope it is not too heavy for I will flight with Nok Airways sad.png

robblok. I have noticed that organic veggies will start to spoil after a day, or 2 if lucky. Chemically grown veggies have lasted well over a week in my fridge. Theres food for thought right there!

In Thailand I do not know if Hydrogen Peroxyde preferably food grade can be found?

For if vegetables are washed with it, H2O2, a few drops in water they will last much longer in good shape. Plus it will kill bad germs dangerous for health!

I am going for one week in Bangkok... next week, in the meantime I did found where to find it in Bangkok, problem I hope it is not too heavy for I will flight with Nok Airways sad.png

It's surprising how heavy these units are.

• 2 weeks later...

Try this link

http://justjuice.org/2012/when-does-fresh-juice-lose-its-freshness/

Juices are best absorbed through the glands in the mouth by swilling the juice around in your mouth for maximum effectiveness. That is the theory according to the purists.

They had a cold pressed juice shop in Singapore where i was working last year and the juices there were the best i have ever had.

The only problem i have with juices if you are doing them yourself is that it is very labour intensive and most people give up after awhile.

It takes about 25 minutes out of your day after you clean the veggies, juice them and then clean the machine.

Having said that I believe that nothing beats fresh veggie juices for a health boost.

I seriously doubt the nutrients are being absorbed in the mouth...
Some information about saliva: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saliva

Try this link

Juices are best absorbed through the glands in the mouth by swilling the juice around in your mouth for maximum effectiveness. That is the theory according to the purists.

They had a cold pressed juice shop in Singapore where i was working last year and the juices there were the best i have ever had.

The only problem i have with juices if you are doing them yourself is that it is very labour intensive and most people give up after awhile.

It takes about 25 minutes out of your day after you clean the veggies, juice them and then clean the machine.

Having said that I believe that nothing beats fresh veggie juices for a health boost.

Great, thanks for the Wilipedia link.

Once again, I seriously doubt any of the nutrients of the vegetable juice will be absorbed in the mouth or that it will aid in the digestion of juice

Have a good look at the wiki article you just linked about saliva:

Digestion[edit]

The digestive functions of saliva include moistening food and helping to create a food bolus. This lubricative function of saliva allows the food bolus to be passed easily from the mouth into the esophagus. Saliva contains the enzyme amylase, also called ptyalin, which is capable of breaking down starch into simpler sugars that can be later absorbed or further broken down in the small intestine. Salivary glands also secrete salivary lipase (a more potent form of lipase) to begin fat digestion. Salivary lipase plays a large role in fat digestion in newborn infants as their pancreatic lipase still needs some time to develop.[5]

The function of saliva is to help food pass down the esophagus by moistening it. It starts the process of starch and fat digestion.

There's no starch or fat in vegetable juice and there's no reason to "chew" a liquid.

Try this link

Great, thanks for the Wilipedia link.

Once again, I seriously doubt any of the nutrients of the vegetable juice will be absorbed in the mouth or that it will aid in the digestion of juice

Have a good look at the wiki article you just linked about saliva:

Digestion[edit]

The digestive functions of saliva include moistening food and helping to create a food bolus. This lubricative function of saliva allows the food bolus to be passed easily from the mouth into the esophagus. Saliva contains the enzyme amylase, also called ptyalin, which is capable of breaking down starch into simpler sugars that can be later absorbed or further broken down in the small intestine. Salivary glands also secrete salivary lipase (a more potent form of lipase) to begin fat digestion. Salivary lipase plays a large role in fat digestion in newborn infants as their pancreatic lipase still needs some time to develop.[5]

The function of saliva is to help food pass down the esophagus by moistening it. It starts the process of starch and fat digestion.

There's no starch or fat in vegetable juice and there's no reason to "chew" a liquid.

About the digesting part you maybe right...

But as you could read, your salvia is very beneficial for you; it contains nutrients and helps in many ways

just a small example from the Wiki link:

"Haptocorrin, a protein which binds to Vitamin B12 to protect it against degradation in the stomach, before it binds to Intrinsic Factor"

I think that's an interesting point while consuming juice.

Learn to enjoy your juice, gulping it down is for beginners.

But as you could read, your salvia is very beneficial for you; it contains nutrients and helps in many ways

"Haptocorrin, a protein which binds to Vitamin B12 to protect it against degradation in the stomach, before it binds to Intrinsic Factor"

We were discussing the benefits or not of swishing vegetable juice in the mouth. I gulp it down very quickly because the taste is vile. The alternative would be to spend a considerable amount of time swishing 500 ml of this liquid around in the mouth.

I would still be interested to know what I'm missing out on by not swishing although I don't know if I could even if I wanted to.

We were discussing the benefits or not of swishing vegetable juice in the mouth. I gulp it down very quickly because the taste is vile. The alternative would be to spend a considerable amount of time swishing 500 ml of this liquid around in the mouth.

I would still be interested to know what I'm missing out on by not swishing although I don't know if I could even if I wanted to.

to swish or not to swish,that is the question?................frankly i'd just drink the bloody stuff down.just getting back to the original question about the benefits of juicing vegies,just google for info,its all there.

i juice everyday,carrots,broccoli,beetroot and celery/parsley,and i think its bloody brilliant,certainly for energy levels,and as a cleanser of the vital organs,dont think it necessarily cures anything but its good as a preventative.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you spice up your juice?

Pepper and/or sea salt?

I've just read that Piperine is helping absorb nutrients quite effectively - looks like I am doing

the right thing without knowing it... fresh or dried pepper complements my juices nearly all the time,

the pepper for the taste and the salt to reduce acidity.

Greetings, CB

Edited by Chonburiram

For those having trouble finding a Hurom... I just ordered a Hurom HD-WWF09 from Korea on eBay. $295 with free EMS shipping. I will let you how much duty I have to pay when it arrives.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My only question is ... WHY?

Health David

Though fruit juices are not that good (missing out on the fibers) The same cannot be said for vegetables.

I'm interested to know how juicing makes either fruit or veg more healthy? Or is it just the convenience factor?

I always have smoothies because I hate anything with lumps or seeds in it. I am thinking about a juicer, but can't get some of the fruits you see mentioned here. Where I live you only get the most common fruits, apples oranges, bananas, pineapples, you don't get blueberrys, lemons etc, I love blueberry and lemon flavour. I have banana and pineapple smoothies every day, and only add water. My wife makes delicious pumpkin smoothies.

OK, this arrived from Korea today. Total VAT and duty came to 1173 baht. The people that sent it put a value of $100 on the waybill.

IMG_20131219_170256_zps5a581f70.jpg

Just made my first glass of raw V8 juice. Not bad at all, and full of good stuff. smile.png

So you paid about 10,300 baht in total. You did well as that model was 12,900 in Central. It has the foam cap on the front of the juice exit tube. That could become a bit of a nuisance if you're juicing lots of green vegetables with threads as it may become clogged.

OK, this arrived from Korea today. Total VAT and duty came to 1173 baht. The people that sent it put a value of $100 on the waybill.

IMG_20131219_170256_zps5a581f70.jpg

Just made my first glass of raw V8 juice. Not bad at all, and full of good stuff. smile.png

So you paid about 10,300 baht in total. You did well as that model was 12,900 in Central. It has the foam cap on the front of the juice exit tube. That could become a bit of a nuisance if you're juicing lots of green vegetables with threads as it may become clogged.

It looks impressive.

Have you seen any of the hand press juicers on your travels?