I Do Get Impressed......

theblether

ding, ding, ding,

round 2

Nope, not from me, I'm a good boy. coffee1.gif

More like that you agree with me in my saying "you don't know, what you are talking about"

If not, please advice someone "not in your class" how to handle the scenario I described in my latest post!

Or is it going to be the usual Blether-style: Big style OP, earning you 10 "likes" from your followers, if someone dare to question you, you get personal and finally, if everything else fails, you hit the ignore-buttom.

On this trip, you have almost become Thai. They too tend to ignore "unpleasant" facts!whistling.gif

Well put, but I fear it falls on deaf ears. Just stick with your instincts. Far more people believe the way you do than you think. For them, calling someone a racist or changing the rules or subject matter in midstream is textbook behavior. It is a good sign, because it means you are on the right track; when people come at you with everything BUT the truth and the facts, and attack your character.

I think it is safe to say that we are both... Still Not Impressed!

• Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ding, ding, ding,

round 2

More like that you agree with me in my saying "you don't know, what you are talking about"

If not, please advice someone "not in your class" how to handle the scenario I described in my latest post!

Or is it going to be the usual Blether-style: Big style OP, earning you 10 "likes" from your followers, if someone dare to question you, you get personal and finally, if everything else fails, you hit the ignore-buttom.

On this trip, you have almost become Thai. They too tend to ignore "unpleasant" facts!whistling.gif

My opinion on likes, as you have brought that issue into the discussion, likes come from a cross section of readers of many backgrounds and thoughts. If a guy amasses many likes then ''I'' am sure he has ticked many boxes from many different members perspective.

Don't knock it, cos you have not achieved it yet, perhaps look at yourself and not have a go at a successful poster. smile.png

Blether you keep banging on about being a great manager, maybe you were back home, but working here is vastly different to back home, you may as throw all your ideas out of the window.

At my company we have the full range of Thai workers from the cleaners up to the managing director, they are all different, some would hold their own doing the same job in the West, others would not know how to board a plane there.In general though most of our staff, both male and female do a good job.

As for staff retention, as someone else said the Thai economy is doing fine with plenty of work for those that want it. This had led to problems with both hiring new staff and retaining them. The majority of our staff have been here a long time, it's the newer, younger staff that tend to leave, believing the grass is always greener and knowing there are plenty of other vacancies. Those that accuse some business owners of not paying enough and site that as a reason are also off the mark. As a MNC our company provides a good package, the staff who stay realise this, the younger ones, just like back home,want the top salaries now but don't want to work for it.

• Like 1

Blether you keep banging on about being a great manager, maybe you were back home, but working here is vastly different to back home, you may as throw all your ideas out of the window.

At my company we have the full range of Thai workers from the cleaners up to the managing director, they are all different, some would hold their own doing the same job in the West, others would not know how to board a plane there.In general though most of our staff, both male and female do a good job.

As for staff retention, as someone else said the Thai economy is doing fine with plenty of work for those that want it. This had led to problems with both hiring new staff and retaining them. The majority of our staff have been here a long time, it's the newer, younger staff that tend to leave, believing the grass is always greener and knowing there are plenty of other vacancies. Those that accuse some business owners of not paying enough and site that as a reason are also off the mark. As a MNC our company provides a good package, the staff who stay realise this, the younger ones, just like back home,want the top salaries now but don't want to work for it.

Tell me any part of your post that you think doesn't apply to Western companies?

• Like 1

With almost 8900 posts in 2 years I'm wondering to which category the OP belongs biggrin.png

Woe there Ranger ... theblether's birth-date (on the Forum) and mine are similar.

Be careful with with whom you tar with that brush.

Generalisations do not apply universally.

While he and I disagree on a number of issues, I believe we share the same common belief that intrinsically Thailand is a good or great place to be and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.

I think you should look again at those dates David, they differ more than a year.

By the way I didn't generalize, i only responded to the generalization Theblether made in his post.

• Like 1

...and it is not as if one is describing intensive and demanding skills in manufacturing, research, development, engineering, designing, information technology innovation, innovation in general, science, development, planning, integrating, ergonomics, etc. which produce positive results in a short time-span, and at the lowest cost.

One is describing such major, sought-after skills as making beds, punching user-friendly buttons on a touch pad, loading and unloading, driving a bike, car, minivan, truck, entering information someone else wrote using a keyboard, answering phones, creating and maintaining paper empires, picking up and delivering, cleaners, washers, waxers, pencil sharpeners, massagers, laying pipes for water to run uphill, electrical installations and power grids that look like a plate of spaghetti and without a ground, mixing concrete, using a bucket and spade to apply the concrete and on and on... which produce fair to poor results at a cost that results in waste of time and money when compared to other countries.

Where is that list of their number one exports? Ahh... here it is:

The world's largest exporter of canned pineapple and canned tuna,

The world's number one exporter of rice, rubber, chilled fish and prawns,

The world's largest exporter of precious stones,

The world's second largest exporter of sugar and tapioca products,

The world's third largest exporter of hard disks and integrated circuits (coc: assembling parts sent from other countries - a.k.a. "Put this square peg in this hole... here... NO HERE! Turn that phone off!).

The world's fourth largest exporter of frozen chicken, maize and cut flowers.

I'm sorry, but I am still not impressed.

Hard work? Hard physical work? Yes! But this is, after all 2013, and not 1320. The thought touches upon so many other issues that it really is quite intriguing; regrettable, but intriguing.

Woe there Ranger ... theblether's birth-date (on the Forum) and mine are similar.

I think you should look again at those dates David, they differ more than a year.

I'm wrong. Never a problem to admit when I'm wrong .. . facepalm.gif

Generous serving of Humble Pie to the guy sitting at the table by himself mumbling something about 'he always thought that ... '

• Like 1

Bad managers spend all day on the internet splurging about their woes and getting touchy when someone says it's your fault.

@theblether....your last sentence in the above post, sums it up totally.

With almost 8900 posts in 2 years I'm wondering to which category the OP belongs biggrin.png

You must have meant 8900 likes....coffee1.gif

Bad managers spend all day on the internet splurging about their woes and getting touchy when someone says it's your fault.

bletherer

good thing they do not have a dislike button or we would have an overflow error there wouldn't we jbrain smile.png

Edited by harrry

No I didn't, but if you want to judge on likes, you probably realize that it takes only 1 hardcore supporter to amass as many likes as posts.

When did the Likes system start? 18 months back?

ding, ding, ding,

round 2

My opinion on likes, as you have brought that issue into the discussion, likes come from a cross section of readers of many backgrounds and thoughts. If a guy amasses many likes then ''I'' am sure he has ticked many boxes from many different members perspective.

Don't knock it, cos you have not achieved it yet, perhaps look at yourself and not have a go at a successful poster. smile.png

Thanks transam!!thumbsup.gif A penalty with an open goal!

If the "likes" are anything to go by, to measure the success of a poster, I hate to inform you, that my rate of likes per post, is way higher than both yours and your masters!!whistling.gif

Have a nice day. You just made mine!

No I didn't, but if you want to judge on likes, you probably realize that it takes only 1 hardcore supporter to amass as many likes as posts.

Oh come on be fair, you have to recognize my genius in some way. coffee1.gif

@Bookman, it was January 2012.

• Like 1

This topic really just comes down to the denial in the farang community about the Thai economy. It is just not that hard for Thais to make money these days and you are not going to attract the hardest workers by paying them the minimum salary.

I think its a lot more than that.

Whenever the topic of Thai abilities comes up, the discussion falls swiftly into two camps - Those who take a positive view and see the real improvements in skills and abilities and those who are only want to reinforce negative views of the abilities of the Thais.

One group see Thais growing in confidence of their own abilities, becoming less subservient, more self assured. Others see no change same same as it ever was.

I like to think myself in the former group, as I have said before I have had the privilege of working for many years in a professional environment in Thailand and the very great privilege of seeing first hand improvements in education, growing skills and that growing confidence and self assured attitudes - Its a pleasure to see and I'm very proud of the part I have been able to play helping a few along that path.

Thailand is developing and the Thai people are enjoying many of the benefits of that development - Thais increasingly do not need to grovel for a few Bht in the service industry from foreigners and they are very able to discern who treats them with respect and who does not.

The days of Farangs being treated with respect simply for being a Farang are fast coming to an end - Thats a good thing.

Each individual Thai person working for a better life, studying part time to get better qualified, putting an effort in at work to learn and develop their careers - each one of them is developing themselves and ultimately Thailand too.

In doing so they are leaving behind Farangs who's only way of dealing with Thais is to see them as subservient, less educated, less able to work hard.

Thailand, is moving on - It should not surprise anyone that people who got off the bus in their own life are unable to keep up with the changes or accept the inevitable truth that they are being left behind.

Agree, but there is still a North/South divide on the issue.

Cup of Coffee ,

I never call a person something I never meant, decency is not one of your virtue, I know which side of this issue I am on, As very few Falang's are among my friends or acquaintances by my own choice.

You post in circles, read your own posts are they the thoughts of a rational person "Thai mentality of greed, desperation, manipulation, and a lot of other sordid caveats germane to their mind-beggaring culture, All that crap comes bottled up inside each Thai who comes to an interview"

The only time I have heard that kind of description of a people was at a Klan cross-burning in Dixie. Sound like the ranting of a person with racist views to me,

Yes I have come to the realization, that it is impossible to have an intelligent discourse with a person that has all of that hate, built up inside of him and will just place you on my ignore list, please also place me on yours.

Cheers:bah.gif

And you think that will continue for ever?

I think for a long time cos there isn't much farang integration here. I am still treated like a film star, which I don't like much, but as l am an integrator with the locals, it makes their day.

Must add, went to a party here of a very famous retired Thai boxer, his chum, a famous Thai super star singer turned up, came straight to me and we past pleasantries, yep, l was the only farang present but yeh, he headed straight for me.

• Like 1

I think for a long time cos there isn't much farang integration here. I am still treated like a film star, which I don't like much, but as l am an integrator with the locals, it makes their day.

Must add, went to a party here of a very famous retired Thai boxer, his chum, a famous Thai super star singer turned up, came straight to me and we past pleasantries, yep, l was the only farang present but yeh, he headed straight for me.

Did he ask for your autograph ?

I got asked once in the Philippines, they said very politely...."Mr Bean, can you sign this for me"

Another rich farang being "jai-dee" by handing over his vouchers from 7-11 and his empty bottles to the poor hardworking natives!!

As for the work-ethics of young Thai ladies, let me just say, I don't share your view. Having had (and still have) 50-60 young ladies working for me at any given time in more than 10 years, my experiece tells me, that they don't even know the meaning of the word work-ethics.

The ladies you mention (all respect to them) simply don't have a choice!

Sir, could this be something to do with your man management skills ??

• Like 1

I got asked once in the Philippines, they said very politely...."Mr Bean, can you sign this for me"

I don't believe, in the Philippines they speak decent English and can pronounce Mr Bum.

Nooooooooo, but I can tell you that ALL the ladies were ''near'' kneeling at this old guys feet........giggle.gif .........smile.png

This topic really just comes down to the denial in the farang community about the Thai economy. It is just not that hard for Thais to make money these days and you are not going to attract the hardest workers by paying them the minimum salary.

I think its a lot more than that.

Whenever the topic of Thai abilities comes up, the discussion falls swiftly into two camps - Those who take a positive view and see the real improvements in skills and abilities and those who are only want to reinforce negative views of the abilities of the Thais.

One group see Thais growing in confidence of their own abilities, becoming less subservient, more self assured. Others see no change same same as it ever was.

I like to think myself in the former group, as I have said before I have had the privilege of working for many years in a professional environment in Thailand and the very great privilege of seeing first hand improvements in education, growing skills and that growing confidence and self assured attitudes - Its a pleasure to see and I'm very proud of the part I have been able to play helping a few along that path.

Thailand is developing and the Thai people are enjoying many of the benefits of that development - Thais increasingly do not need to grovel for a few Bht in the service industry from foreigners and they are very able to discern who treats them with respect and who does not.

The days of Farangs being treated with respect simply for being a Farang are fast coming to an end - Thats a good thing.

Each individual Thai person working for a better life, studying part time to get better qualified, putting an effort in at work to learn and develop their careers - each one of them is developing themselves and ultimately Thailand too.

In doing so they are leaving behind Farangs who's only way of dealing with Thais is to see them as subservient, less educated, less able to work hard.

Thailand, is moving on - It should not surprise anyone that people who got off the bus in their own life are unable to keep up with the changes or accept the inevitable truth that they are being left behind.

More like an In/ Out of Bangkok divide

i agree with guest house,

working in the oil and gas industry, we always saw good welders from phils, thailand ect,

but now you are also seeing engineers/welding inspectors,and the likes,

at the moment, and i might be shot down here, i dont think they are as good as in the west, but believe me they will get there, you dont see as many expats now working off shore in the gulf as there once was,

the thai people are catching us up,

i had engineers under me in bkk, they were good, but you do have to keep your eye on them,

i found they treid to rush to try and impress and made silly mistakes in drawings, ide pick them up before it got into production, and explain, slow down take your time and do it right, better to do it one time and get it right then 2 times to get the same result,

i found they are just lacking the experiance of the western engineers and the welding inspectors, just because its new to them,

i had 30 years in the welding game before i went into inspection, so i had the grounding,

jake

• Like 1

i agree with guest house,

working in the oil and gas industry, we always saw good welders from phils, thailand ect,

but now you are also seeing engineers/welding inspectors,and the likes,

at the moment, and i might be shot down here, i dont think they are as good as in the west, but believe me they will get there, you dont see as many expats now working off shore in the gulf as there once was,

the thai people are catching us up,

i had engineers under me in bkk, they were good, but you do have to keep your eye on them,

i found they treid to rush to try and impress and made silly mistakes in drawings, ide pick them up before it got into production, and explain, slow down take your time and do it right, better to do it one time and get it right then 2 times to get the same result,

i found they are just lacking the experiance of the western engineers and the welding inspectors, just because its new to them,

i had 30 years in the welding game before i went into inspection, so i had the grounding,

jake

And that is the whole problem with this country Jake, and also the reason they never will catch up. Because they don't have any honor in their job. They consider 70% finishing good enough, and that has nothing to do with being new on the job.

Watch a tradesman, be it a roof-worker or an electrician or whatever, working at your place. He will never complete the job to a standard we're used to in the western world, however he has all the materials and tools available, and he might be doing the same job for the past 20 years already.They want to move on quickly because they get bored fast.