I Do Get Impressed......

theblether

We save up all our recyclable stuff and give it away also, last hoard was several buckets and bags of all stuff.

Decided to give it to the garbos this time so they could share some extra coin.

The xxxxxxx stole our rubbish bin lids as well which were stainless steel.

Last time they'll be gettin anything for nuttin.....work ethic...humph

Was funny watching the missus chase them down the street on the bike to return the lids.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another rich farang being "jai-dee" by handing over his vouchers from 7-11 and his empty bottles to the poor hardworking natives!!

As for the work-ethics of young Thai ladies, let me just say, I don't share your view. Having had (and still have) 50-60 young ladies working for me at any given time in more than 10 years, my experiece tells me, that they don't even know the meaning of the word work-ethics.

The ladies you mention (all respect to them) simply don't have a choice!

Maybe your sour ass attitude makes you a magnet for negative people and no respect!

What do you know about my attitude?? whistling.gif

I invested money here to create a workplace for Thais. All I want in return is a honest days work. To much to ask?

Unlike the OP, I live and work here, so the rose-tinted has gone a long time ago. My staff are not my friends, they are simply people working for me, as we got almost nothing in common. If they don't like me or the workplace, they are free to leave with 5 minutes notice!

My wife, who is Thai, agrees with me 100%, to that extent that we have been in touch with the local workoffice to see, if we can get staff from Myanmar. That is a Thai persons evaluation of her fellow Thais work-ethics (or lack thereoff) !

But it is good for the industry, as long as the majority believes in the stories and fake smiles from the Thais in the service-industry, it is business as usual .thumbsup.gif

If you knew how many times, I have overheard my staff lying to customers about their hardship with long working hours and almost no pay. In hope of yet another sponsorship, or at least a stupid high tip !

After that the girl takes her small car (!) and drives home, and the customer logs on to Thaivisa to tell about the hardworking Thai ladies! rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Another rich farang being "jai-dee" by handing over his vouchers from 7-11 and his empty bottles to the poor hardworking natives!!

As for the work-ethics of young Thai ladies, let me just say, I don't share your view. Having had (and still have) 50-60 young ladies working for me at any given time in more than 10 years, my experiece tells me, that they don't even know the meaning of the word work-ethics.

Sad story of yours. Owner bar ?

Maybe your sour ass attitude makes you a magnet for negative people and no respect!

I invested money here to create a workplace for Thais. All I want in return is a honest days work. To much to ask?

Unlike the OP, I live and work here, so the rose-tinted has gone a long time ago. My staff are not my friends, they are simply people working for me, as we got almost nothing in common. If they don't like me or the workplace, they are free to leave with 5 minutes notice!

My wife, who is Thai, agrees with me 100%, to that extent that we have been in touch with the local workoffice to see, if we can get staff from Myanmar. That is a Thai persons evaluation of her fellow Thais work-ethics (or lack thereoff) !

But it is good for the industry, as long as the majority believes in the stories and fake smiles from the Thais in the service-industry, it is business as usual .thumbsup.gif

If you knew how many times, I have overheard my staff lying to customers about their hardship with long working hours and almost no pay. In hope of yet another sponsorship, or at least a stupid high tip !

After that the girl takes her small car (!) and drives home, and the customer logs on to Thaivisa to tell about the hardworking Thai ladies! rolleyes.gif

Well to be fair you have earned your crust off the back of Thai women for years. Only you are of the opinion that your investment is some form of largesse, close tomorrow and see how much of a ripple it makes on the Thai economy.

So rather than coming on here and boasting about how you employ staff that spend their working day ripping off farangs online, try a bit of silence. Unlike you, I am a nett contributor to the Thai economy, every coin I spend here is derived from the West. I am of more value to this economy than you will ever be, I pour money in, you leech it out and complain about not getting your pound of flesh from these poor third world women.

Oh the irony.

....................................................................................................

I might be stupid, but not that stupid!!w00t.gif

If you care to read my post just above yours, do you think, I would ask the local labor office to help me find hookers in Myanmar??whistling.gif

• Like 1

I might be stupid, but not that stupid!!w00t.gif

If you care to read my post just above yours, do you think, I would ask the local labor office to help me find hookers in Myanmar??whistling.gif

One doesn't need to ask for hookers. Ask for service staff for restaurant bar...

From cup-O-coffee:

You don't know much about bees.

Drones never work. It's the female worker bee that works.

Want to educate yourself before your next post ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worker_bee

Dear God!

I am certain that you got the point I made. Nevertheless, thank you for descending from on high to hijack a thread so you could exert your almighty powers and correct my errant ways. Regrettably, you are invisible to me, and you are not my friend. Hence, Sir, I will continue to post until you strike me with a bolt of lightening.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that there are lots of hard workers in Thailand, same as everywhere...I have met some.

I think it's safe to say that it's not so easy for a foreigner to employ them.

Now, if somebody's telling me that Thailand is world famous for work's ethics, i admit i would be slightly surprised..

• Like 1

I imagine the OP is easily impressed.

Some know only hard working impressive Thais. Some seem to know only lazy ones. Most of us I would suspect fall somewhere in the middle. While anecdotes are good, statistics would be better.

Most of us have a strong feeling that it is much harder to find Thais of good work ethic and values than it might be to find locals in other countries, from Japan to Norway, with those values.

On being so impressed by the Thais we see who appear to be working very hard, some of them may be, but let's not forget that working long doesn't mean efficient or effective. I see plenty Thais working long but for some odd reason, I don't need to and still turn out an order of magnitude more good work.

Carry on then

Edited by PaullyW
  • Like 1

The falang bit is a little misplaced. Most of us have ancestors who in the not so distant past toiled and struggled and fought, bled and died doing various forms of no-brain, physical work. Most of us wouldn't do that now simply because WE DONT HAVE TO. :-) So, are you then far less impressed with our modern day brethren using their brains to work less physically hard then you are with our ancestors?

Most of you all, have not really witnessed life in a hardworking Thai rice-growing village, where all work dawn to dusk in the rice fields come home and then do the normal house hold chores. and on days off help the family and friends pour concrete. Not only the men but the women more so, my wife and her mother have mixed most of the cement that has been used to build our house, they are much better workers that the pro's of construction that I had work with in the states.The one lazy mentally challenged town drunk is the exception to the work ethic I have witnessed in my 8 years living in our Thai village! Most falang's would not or could not put in 12 hours a day , seven days a week on a job that gives you one or two days off per month. as most rural Thai's do year after year.Most have never seen a Thai work outside of a bar or GO-Go joint and then act like he knows every thing about Thailand, look at the physical condition of the majority of the Thai work force and the overweight expat population and that should indicate to you who are the lazy, pampered ones and who is the hard worker. Cheers:wai2.gif
Edited by PaullyW

I agree 100% with original point (and get a bit depressed by the TV bickering - we need another flood to get all of us to pull together .... oh ... hang on .. )

The team in our office (female and male) are an incredibly hard working and dedicated group of professionals. They also have a 'family' approach to work and I see this as another positive aspect rather than some cultural conditioning. Give me the Thai family culture over the 'me-me-me' of some other cultures any day.

I've also seen the same in India and a 'corporate' version in Korea - Asia's economy is growing faster than Europe because people work harder - it's not rocket science.

Most of you all, have not really witnessed life in a hardworking Thai rice-growing village, where all work dawn to dusk in the rice fields come home and then do the normal house hold chores. and on days off help the family and friends pour concrete. Not only the men but the women more so, my wife and her mother have mixed most of the cement that has been used to build our house, they are much better workers that the pro's of construction that I had work with in the states.

The one lazy mentally challenged town drunk is the exception to the work ethic I have witnessed in my 8 years living in our Thai village!

Most falang's would not or could not put in 12 hours a day , seven days a week on a job that gives you one or two days off per month. as most rural Thai's do year after year.

Most have never seen a Thai work outside of a bar or GO-Go joint and then act like he knows every thing about Thailand, look at the physical condition of the majority of the Thai work force and the overweight expat population and that should indicate to you who are the lazy, pampered ones and who is the hard worker.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Yeah! Sounds pretty impressive, except this is 2013, and work like that was common about 2000 years ago. Isn't Thailand supposed to have a HUB category for being up to date on things like that, or something?

We all have ancestors who worked like that at some point in the past. D'ja ever wonder why you aren't whipping a quarter horse whilst plowing taters in a field, and instead observing that rice paddy scenario? Maybe your ancestors saved up and moved up, instead of wasting their hard earned cash on lottery tickets, rice whine, and whatever else.

So, I guess hard work in and of itself is a self-defeating purpose. Admiring it for what it is realy is asking a lot.

• Like 1

@cup-of-coffee, there's nothing naive about a statement of fact, no matter how much you rant and rave about it. I know plenty of businesses in this area that have excellent staff retention, I would look to the only consistent's in a business to identify a problem and if it's the same management from day one and all the rest of the staff have changed, well, it's not rocket science is it?

So rather than bump your gums about your failings, go find a solution as to why your track record with employees is so deplorable. Look within sir, look within. thumbsup.gif

Well to be fair you have earned your crust off the back of Thai women for years. Only you are of the opinion that your investment is some form of largesse, close tomorrow and see how much of a ripple it makes on the Thai economy.

So rather than coming on here and boasting about how you employ staff that spend their working day ripping off farangs online, try a bit of silence. Unlike you, I am a nett contributor to the Thai economy, every coin I spend here is derived from the West. I am of more value to this economy than you will ever be, I pour money in, you leech it out and complain about not getting your pound of flesh from these poor third world women.

Oh the irony.

....................................................................................................

Blether. I don't know how to break it to you? But here we go. You are wrong!

Almost all our customers are tourists. So the girls salaries are paid by tourist$, brought into Thailand by visitors!

With all the money transferred from our staff to parents and children in the north, our shops are probably supporting around 200 people. All with money coming from abroad! coffee1.gif

You need a lot of vouchers and plasticbottles to match that.

I will give you the same advice, you gave a previous poster: Grow up!!

So every succesfull businessowner here with Thai employees are leeching on the poor natives??

Unfortunately I get to see both sides. my wife works from 7 am to 7pm sometimes even later(late night/early hours calls when something breaks down as no one can think for themselves) 5 days a week and then she is expected to work weekends when the company has overseas executives visit on weekends, last weekend she was gone from 7 am till 8.30pm both days running after them. She is the manager but she does not get any extra for any of this "overtime". What gets me is her sister, she comes over here, speaks to noone and eats all the food, sleeps all day & night, will not wash, clean or cook as she "does not know how" then after a few days goes back to her husband. She has kids but never takes care of them and expects all of her family to do that for her. I have seen several great workers in Thailand but I have also seen the layabouts, these ones usually have a bought uni degree and consider themselves to good to do anything that raises a sweat. We have this all over the world but here we do have a lot more of those that use/abuse their families after all it is part of their culture. Its just a pity that the good ones get tarred with the same brush quite often

Edited by seajae
  • Like 1

The falang bit is a little misplaced. Most of us have ancestors who in the not so distant past toiled and struggled and fought, bled and died doing various forms of no-brain, physical work. Most of us wouldn't do that now simply because WE DONT HAVE TO. :-) So, are you then far less impressed with our modern day brethren using their brains to work less physically hard then you are with our ancestors?

Most of you all, have not really witnessed life in a hardworking Thai rice-growing village, where all work dawn to dusk in the rice fields come home and then do the normal house hold chores. and on days off help the family and friends pour concrete. Not only the men but the women more so, my wife and her mother have mixed most of the cement that has been used to build our house, they are much better workers that the pro's of construction that I had work with in the states. The one lazy mentally challenged town drunk is the exception to the work ethic I have witnessed in my 8 years living in our Thai village! Most falang's would not or could not put in 12 hours a day , seven days a week on a job that gives you one or two days off per month. as most rural Thai's do year after year. Most have never seen a Thai work outside of a bar or GO-Go joint and then act like he knows every thing about Thailand, look at the physical condition of the majority of the Thai work force and the overweight expat population and that should indicate to you who are the lazy, pampered ones and who is the hard worker. Cheers:wai2.gif

Since you are the one attempting to manipulate the context of my post, you would be the one that needs to answer your question.

Some Falang's on this thread state that the Thai's are lazy and lack a work ethic, Also on this forum on another thread some Falang's also cite the outrages increase of the minimum wage to 300 baht ($10.00 U.S.) a day for a 12 hour work day doing as you state "no brain, physical work." As the cause of the recent rise in the cost of living.

How many of these whiners would be willing to do that type of work for the same pay,

The same song and dance has been sung in the States, that the U.S. unemployed could do the work that immigrant workers were doing and offered $13.00 a hour for crop pickers and no one applied for the jobs, not because THEY DID NOT HAVE TO DO IT, because they remain on food stamps and would not do physical labor! That is lazy and a total lack of work ethics, making 10 times the money Thai's make for their labor!!

@cup-of-coffee, there's nothing naive about a statement of fact, no matter how much you rant and rave about it. I know plenty of businesses in this area that have excellent staff retention, I would look to the only consistent's in a business to identify a problem and if it's the same management from day one and all the rest of the staff have changed, well, it's not rocket science is it?

So rather than bump your gums about your failings, go find a solution as to why your track record with employees is so deplorable. Look within sir, look within. thumbsup.gif

You are a very curious person. Indeed...

Nothing wrong with statement of fact(?). You must mean your opinion, and how much you approve of your opinion? Nice one!

You know plenty of businesses with a retention rate that you qualify as excellent. Another opinion. And you say it is excellent, despite your distaste over earning crust off their backs? Brilliant!

The third point in the first paragraph does not make clear sense, yet it is clearly another opinion; moreover from an "armchair quarterback" who does not run a business here in Thailand, and therefore is not experienced with the ins and outs of dealing with Thais at a grassroots level. Hut One! Hut Two! Hut! Hut! ...Doh!

Finally, you bless me with a fourth opinion about my personal character, which is also unsupportive of any fact, and consigns you to Fourth team backup quarterback in my estimate. Hut! Hut! ...Doh!

My track record relates to the bottom line: good customer service and a good profit margin. My customers come back and they bring their friends. Most of the success of my business is word of mouth. What success do you have here, besides giving back your money to the people who worked hard and made the crust for the foreign corporations who pay taxes to the government who pays your pension? Hut! Hut! ...Doh!

You want my left-overs? You are more than welcome to them; ... but then again, you don't do business here in Thailand, do you? You simply consult in other people's personal affairs and experiences without their approval? Fourth and 20!

Punt!

Working the hours in a cafe seems great to me compared to the soggy back breaking work of the rice fields. No tips out there! For that matter hacking down sugar cane isnt much fun either.

Neither is planting a 100000 pineapples but I always get them at least a couple of drinks a day, not water to perk them up.Id say the pineapple people I use are probably the best Ive met out here.................the builders are the worst.

The question really should be are the majority hard working or not?

Edited by kannot

@soi41 Touched a nerve have I? You're the same guy that came on this forum boasting about watching your staff ripping off farangs on the internet during working hours. Now your on here claiming that your some type of international investor single handedly saving the Thai economy. If I lost 60 employees in 9 years is it? I'd be reaching for the managerial rope.

The fault lies entirely with you, you wandered into the country, took on the work conditions set by the Thai state, and then set about a master class of mismanagement. One of the marks of a successful company is staff retention. Any new manager makes mistakes, however they are supposed to learn from them. It appears that you have failed to do so. So go ahead and get a grip on yourself, a grip on your staff and a grip on your company. Report back next year that you have actually managed to retain some staff and I will be mightily impressed.

@cup-o-coffee, it's obvious you are struggling. That's because you know I am right. The most successful managers find every excuse to blame themselves. If you have as deplorable a managerial record as you yourself have stated, go back to the start and try again. There's a flaw in your company management structure, go fix it and stop moaning at us for your failings.

So you are saying that you or your lady cannot control local staff ? You a farang set up a business in LOS, l assume pay good wages, which will or should be a plus, but you choose to import very poor folk to perhaps be subservient to you to make your life easier.

• Like 1

I can only state to what I lived and witnessed personally, "as Mohammed Ali said those Viet Cong never called me n######r" The dwellers of the Amazon rain forest have never done anything to me.

You made see it as a chip I only see it as the Truth!

WISE UP, ALi, did not go to Nam. thats why they did not call him a n####r

Most of you all, have not really witnessed life in a hardworking Thai rice-growing village, where all work dawn to dusk in the rice fields come home and then do the normal house hold chores. and on days off help the family and friends pour concrete. Not only the men but the women more so, my wife and her mother have mixed most of the cement that has been used to build our house, they are much better workers that the pro's of construction that I had work with in the states. The one lazy mentally challenged town drunk is the exception to the work ethic I have witnessed in my 8 years living in our Thai village! Most falang's would not or could not put in 12 hours a day , seven days a week on a job that gives you one or two days off per month. as most rural Thai's do year after year. Most have never seen a Thai work outside of a bar or GO-Go joint and then act like he knows every thing about Thailand, look at the physical condition of the majority of the Thai work force and the overweight expat population and that should indicate to you who are the lazy, pampered ones and who is the hard worker. Cheers:wai2.gif

Since you are the one attempting to manipulate the context of my post, you would be the one that needs to answer your question.

Some Falang's on this thread state that the Thai's are lazy and lack a work ethic, Also on this forum on another thread some Falang's also cite the outrages increase of the minimum wage to 300 baht ($10.00 U.S.) a day for a 12 hour work day doing as you state "no brain, physical work." As the cause of the recent rise in the cost of living.

How many of these whiners would be willing to do that type of work for the same pay,

The same song and dance has been sung in the States, that the U.S. unemployed could do the work that immigrant workers were doing and offered $13.00 a hour for crop pickers and no one applied for the jobs, not because THEY DID NOT HAVE TO DO IT, because they remain on food stamps and would not do physical labor! That is lazy and a total lack of work ethics, making 10 times the money Thai's make for their labor!!

If I may...

I did do work like that when necessary. I do not do it now. Why is that? Why do poor people stay poor, and well-to-do people stay well-to-do or gain even more? And if well-to-do people fall on their ass, they usually recover and gain back what they lost. Why is that?

I do not know what song and dance you are talking about. The United States is the United States. Thailand is Thailand. You want to compare those two with each other? Be my guest.

If you peel back the layers and look within, you'll find that people in the United States do recover. Time and time again, even when the government is against them, they recover. The key word being recover. I guess that bring thoughts of a healthy immune system (metaphorically speaking), or in this case, a healthy and active mind which does not continually slide off the edge into dormant, catatonic lock-down.

What I mean by that is something as simple as observing what people do with what they have got. Cleanliness and hygiene / replacing a broken tail light for 10 bahts / tidying up the few things one has as if those things were priceless, instead of allowing them to appear as if they were hand-me-downs from the Ayuttayah kingdom; a sense of pride, so to speak, instead of pissing everything you have away and not giving one thought towards tomorrow.

Customer service. It does not exist. Maybe those teenagers at Swensons impress you, but I daresay, they are still under the protection of naievity and haven't really gotten a taste of real life yet. Being 20 and growing older until you are 50 is a big leap in reality, and it takes an unusual will and constitution to get better with time, instead of letting time wear you down (Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum). Thais wear down. YOu want to compare that with US citizens as a whole?

Taking the demographic you described as lazy US citizens on food stamps does not even begin to suggest any means whereby to debate lazy Thais, who do not have food stamp programs and do not have to experience freezing temperatures, to name just a few real-life issues. No! There simply is no measurable means to compare the two.

I will remain in my opinion that the definition of lazy, and hard work in these two countries bear no legitimate similarities.

Edited by cup-O-coffee

So you are saying that you or your lady cannot control local staff ? You a farang set up a business in LOS, l assume pay good wages, which will or should be a plus, but you choose to import very poor folk to perhaps be subservient to you to make your life easier.

I employed two Myanmar staff after speaking to a long time employer in Thailand who told me they were willing but lacked education.

He was right, nothing to do with sub serviance in fact wrongly some would say I try to take care of them too much..........want an example of how I am? on the first day at work the girl ( man wife team) threw up in my sink, it was full and blocked floating rice and yellow gunk, I gave her a towel sent her to MY bedroom and let her lie down, brought her a glass of water and left her there for the rest of the day, she tried to get up but i told her forget it.

I then went back to the sink and stuck my bare hand (yummy) down to the blocked holes and cleaned it out, it was full to the top virtually.

An awful lot of conjecture in your reply to Soi41

Edited by kannot

Most of you all, have not really witnessed life in a hardworking Thai rice-growing village, where all work dawn to dusk in the rice fields come home and then do the normal house hold chores. and on days off help the family and friends pour concrete. Not only the men but the women more so, my wife and her mother have mixed most of the cement that has been used to build our house, they are much better workers that the pro's of construction that I had work with in the states.

The one lazy mentally challenged town drunk is the exception to the work ethic I have witnessed in my 8 years living in our Thai village!

Most falang's would not or could not put in 12 hours a day , seven days a week on a job that gives you one or two days off per month. as most rural Thai's do year after year.

Most have never seen a Thai work outside of a bar or GO-Go joint and then act like he knows every thing about Thailand, look at the physical condition of the majority of the Thai work force and the overweight expat population and that should indicate to you who are the lazy, pampered ones and who is the hard worker.

Yeah! Sounds pretty impressive, except this is 2013, and work like that was common about 2000 years ago. Isn't Thailand supposed to have a HUB category for being up to date on things like that, or something?

We all have ancestors who worked like that at some point in the past. D'ja ever wonder why you aren't whipping a quarter horse whilst plowing taters in a field, and instead observing that rice paddy scenario? Maybe your ancestors saved up and moved up, instead of wasting their hard earned cash on lottery tickets, rice whine, and whatever else.

So, I guess hard work in and of itself is a self-defeating purpose. Admiring it for what it is realy is asking a lot.

You get what you sow, if you can not get quality people to fill you positions then you must look at your pay and working conditions, What are you paying these Thai employees and what are their working conditions?

You need to grow up as a person as well as an employer, you need to sort out what is wrong with your company, if you are not willing or unable to abide by the employment laws of this country, then your business (if in fact you have one) should not be allowed to do business in Thailand, period. Most business shysters have opted to open businesses in Thailand because of the low wages and unenforced working conditions.

The Wages you stated of 40,000-60,000 Baht is starting well below the minimum wage you would have to pay your employees in the states for a Thai with a college degree.

Our daughter a recent graduate of the University, just resigned her first job because of the work load she was expected to do and her employer kept piling extra work on, and against the pleads of her employer, she quit to open her own business.

If you want good employees you MUST pay a decent wage and Must Provide good working conditions.

• Like 1

You get what you sow, if you can not get quality people to fill you positions then you must look at your pay and working conditions, What are you paying these Thai employees and what are their working conditions?

You need to grow up as a person as well as an employer, you need to sort out what is wrong with your company, if you are not willing or unable to abide by the employment laws of this country, then your business (if in fact you have one) should not be allowed to do business in Thailand, period. Most business shysters have opted to open businesses in Thailand because of the low wages and unenforced working conditions.

The Wages you stated of 40,000-60,000 Baht is starting well below the minimum wage you would have to pay your employees in the states for a Thai with a college degree.

Our daughter a recent graduate of the University, just resigned her first job because of the work load she was expected to do and her employer kept piling extra work on, and against the pleads of her employer, she quit to open her own business.

If you want good employees you MUST pay a decent wage and Must Provide good working conditions.

Ive found the salary and conditions really dont make a blind bit of difference BY ME.

I advertised once on an electric post with a salary of 500 baht a day never got a single response, this was for someone just to help me dig holes weed land etc. Wife said it was too much at the time.

I stand by my statement if your business does not pay a decent wage and proper working conditions, you should not be allowed to do business in Thailand.

Plain and simple, do not blame the natives for your lack of knowledge in how to run o profitable business!

Cheers:bah.gif