Bail denied to Thai woman who tricked professor out of millions with past life scheme

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

deceived tutorial school owner Prakitpao into believing they had been a couple in a past life and that he had abused her

That seems to be just the family's version.

the tutor was later diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder

He had two of those?

The tutor was later diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder and treated in hospital for four months. Police and Srithanya Mental Hospital said the illness was likely to have been caused by an unusually high level of the stimulant ephedrine found in his body.

Bipolar disorder is not caused by ephedrine or and other stimulant. A stimulant will only trigger a manic episode, but a preexisting condition is necessary for this to occur. This man was obvioulsy mentally ill and his fragile condition allowed the woman and her friends to prey on him with an absurd story he would otherwise not believe.

• Like 1

While this it totally unbelievable as an atheist I wonder how many of the people commenting here are Christians as that is as unbelievable as the multiple lives of Buddhists. Just an other brand of mental illness that has never been supported by proof. I mean you can't slander a religion while believing in one yourself as there is no proof for any religion. Then the religious say that is done so by god to make believing a task else its too easy (there is an answer for everything)

Good point. This is really not much different than a Christian televangelist telling their sheeps,....eh, followers, that they should give generously to the church to assure themselves a place in heaven. But those televangelists don't go to jail. They get to buy vacation homes on the alps and live the life fit for a king.

What about the Thai women that con the felangs out of millions in fixed assets, can they be prosecuted too?

Your point is correct, BUT there is a difference, taking money from an es-trial terrestrial (ET alien) is noooooooooooo problem, from their own might be the problem here. sad.png

Two questions beckon:

1) Does an academic who believes in and so easily falls for such a hocus pocus tale deserve to be fleeced?

and

2) If Pemmika were the heir of a multi-billion-baht empire, would she perhaps already be in Singapore, gravely ill and unable to attend court hearings, of course?

"Oh, look at my boobies. You squeezed them quite a few times in your previous life. Now pay up for it!"

Edited by Misterwhisper

How did the court established she was lying? Maybe she said the truth. cheesy.gif
The distinguished professor obviously must have some vague recollection
otherwise he wouldn't have departed with so much cash. crazy.gif

Did they go "Back In Time" to check out if she said the truth?
Do they have a time machine? (Must be from the same manufacturer as their metal detectors) facepalm.gif
Did they ask the spirits? burp.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by JoeLing

The weirdest thing about this is that she convinced an Applied Physics professor of something so nonsensical. I mean, of all the disciplines, surely Applied Physics would be the one least likely to believe in nonsense such as past lives.

Good grief.

Yes, but you're talking like students actually learn something in Thai government universities. Nobody fails in the Thai school system (due to government policy, I suppose.) So, I would never assume that a Thai Applied Physics Prof. knows his subject or has any more common sense than a northern rice farmer. I would assume this man is in his teaching position due to one or more of the most likely reasons: nepotism, cronyism, or corruption. And I think this situation show that very well.

However, what's particularly perverse about this situation is not giving bail to a woman who used no violence in her "crime" (if preying on someone's stupidity and superstitions really is a crime). However, a drugged up drunkard with no integrity who plows down a Bangkok motorcycle police officer while driving in extreme excess of the speed limit is released on a laughingly low bail because daddy is one of the richest men in the country.

I think this proves that Thailand's "face saving" is a crock of hogwash. There is obviously no need for it in the Thai "justice system".

Edited by Wavefloater

Unbelievable to see that murderers in Thailand (as long as they are Thais) get bail and bail is denied for a fraudster who managed to trick a person into throwing money at her... I think Thailand has to rearrange it's priorities if this country and the Thai people ever want to be taken seriously in the world out there...

The tutor was later diagnosed as suffering from bipolar disorder and treated in hospital for four months. Police and Srithanya Mental Hospital said the illness was likely to have been caused by an unusually high level of the stimulant ephedrine found in his body.

Bipolar disorder is not caused by ephedrine or and other stimulant. A stimulant will only trigger a manic episode, but a preexisting condition is necessary for this to occur. This man was obvioulsy mentally ill and his fragile condition allowed the woman and her friends to prey on him with an absurd story he would otherwise not believe.

Which is the risk that a family takes for not taking someone who is mentally ill and getting them diagnosed in hospital, and take control of their legal affairs, with the associated potential loss of face for admitting you have someone with a mental problem n the house. He wasn't drugged. That is twaddle.

Thus, mentally disturbed man remains free to sign and do what he likes, comes under the spell of a younger woman, and gives his money away. I mean honestly, are they convicting a woman for getting money out of a man? My god, Thailand might become the capital of the world for redress for this type of thing.

Why didn't she get bail when the likes of Sondhi and Thaksin et al all seem to get bail for everything they do wrong? She didn't offer enough in bribes to the right people?

If she had murdered him and stolen the money she would have gotten bail.

• Like 1

A fool and his money are soon parted cheesy.gif

There should be a forum on Thai Visa exclusively for (auto)biographical vignettes that support that thesis (most of which will start off with " I have a friend who ..." or "I knew a bloke who ...").

Maybe an applied physicist or two amongst those who have ponied up for a dead ox back in Issarn or bought a house in his (former) wife's name.

fantastic......hes a bright lad isnt he.....w00t.gif

Of cause he is, you don't get to be a professor by being silly.Do you? No ones immune from a scam,keep your think cap on.

The term "Professor" is an over worked term. Depends on the educational institution involved (and the recipient).

Imagine a professor of Thailand's top university believing in ghosts. It is another example why rural people should not be impressed with the academics that belittle them all the time.

Why stop at rural people. I am coming to the view that when someone introduces themselves to me as a professor or teacher, I might just burst out laughing, and ask them for 1000 baht.

Worth a try..

why is the girl in Jail....

seems that the "Professor" is deceiving everyone with that title.....

The girl gave a BS and then he gave money in return.... How is that a Crime?

Any other Non - Professor would laugh it out and at most give an "D" for her grades... 9 Million Baht? Past life couple? dang... someone hire her for a Marketing Gig....

Edited by Nepsydaz

The weirdest thing about this is that she convinced an Applied Physics professor of something so nonsensical. I mean, of all the disciplines, surely Applied Physics would be the one least likely to believe in nonsense such as past lives.

Good grief.

To you and i it might seem nonsense, but to many Thais this is part of their belief system - They believe in reincarnation so what's weird about it to them? Remember a couple of weeks ago the head of the airport in Thailand or some big wig reckoned bad spirits were responsible for the crash and they were making offerings to the bad spirits and all that malarkey? People iin the west believe in a God floating up in the sky which to me is even more ridiculous than evil spirits!!

Personally I'm amazed at all of the people here being amazed that a professor believes in past lives and ghosts. Buddhists believe in reincarnation, it's part of their belief system and while it sounds ridiculous to us to them it's normal. What about westerners who believe that some chap floats around in the sky being benevolent to them that get down on bended knee and worship him and sending others to hell? Tell me how that is less ridiculous? PLenty of well educated and powerful people believe in God with no proof, only a book written in Hebrew and poorly translated hundreds of years ago.