A question I always wanted to ask

White Christmas13

Given the epidemic about graffiti all over the world mostly western countries

yes I have seen some in Thailand I must admit, but what would happen

in Thailand if some idiot comes along with a spray can and sprays graffiti

all over a temple you might say that will never happen but if it does

are there any laws to punish the culprit I ask my family and nobody knows

they say it never happens so I ask if it would happen would the person

just get a slap on the wrist like in the west or are there any laws for punishment ?

Silly question I know ( and I am not a graffiti artist )

So up to your discretion

some drunken idiot farang spray painted on a picture of the king in CM a few years ago because he was upset that they wouldn't sell beer due to the holiday....I believe the king in a very kind gesture ultimately pardoned the MORON.....

In a foreign country you want to know what would happen to an idiot that spraypainted a temple, hopefully they would throw them in jail for a very long time then have then kicked out of the country never to return.

• Like 1

some drunken idiot farang spray painted on a picture of the king in CM a few years ago because he was upset that they wouldn't sell beer due to the holiday....I believe the king in a very kind gesture ultimately pardoned the MORON.....

Not before he had been given a twelve year sentence though.

• Like 2

OP ... I lie awake at night pondering the same question.

Praise be that you have asked the same for me ... wink.png

Tonight I will rest easy.

EDIT

^^ ... theblether ... the big L does come to mind BTW.

Edited by David48

Well I guess another wasted post no concrete answers to my question coffee1.gif

Perhaps if your question wasn't 103 words long someone may have attempted an answer.

Better still, put it in the title.

Come on Old Croc I posted in the past and I was advised to put in more words

which I did now is that all you have to say? If I put in Thailand Temple and

\graffiti would it make any different? I just like an answer not an question of my

question maybe you should enrol in Australian Politics

Like so many of the laws in Thailand, it depends entirely on who wants to enforce it, to what degree, and what mood they are in, this is also compounded by area, location and whether or not there is any money to be made......in short...amazing Thailand!

So,I asked the wife and her answer , surprisingly, was that it would be treated no differently than any other considered 'petty' offence . This was in relation to any local temple ...any famous temple or such patronised by the Royal Family being a different kettle of fish .

Similarly , de-facing an election candidate's poster would get you in deeper water than doing the same to one advertising an hotel or such .

Normal rules ,of course, do not apply to Farang offenders !

would the person just get a slap on the wrist like in the west?

Actually, the last case of tagging I read about in the west was in Florida, just a few weeks ago.

They didn't "slap him on the wrist." They tasered him multiple times.

He died at the scene.

Thankfully, Thai cops don't have tasers.

From the Thai Criminal Code:

TITLE IV OFFENCE RELATING TO RELIGION

Section 206 Whoever, to do, by any means whatever, to the object or place of religious worship of any group of persons in the manner likely to insult such religion, shall be imprisoned as from two years to seven years or fined as from two thousand Baht to fourteen thousand Baht, or both.

Section 207 Whoever to cause a disturbance at an assembly of religious persons lawfully engaged at the time of meeting in religious worship or performing religious ceremonies shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding two thousand Baht, or both.

Section 208 Whoever, wrongfully dressing or using the symbol manifesting that oneself to be Buddhist monk or novice, holy man or clergyman of any religion so as to make the other person to believe that oneself to be such person, shall be imprisoned not out of one year or fined not out of two thousand Baht.

• Like 2

Perhaps if your question wasn't 103 words long someone may have attempted an answer.

Better still, put it in the title.

Come on Old Croc I posted in the past and I was advised to put in more words

which I did now is that all you have to say? If I put in Thailand Temple and

\graffiti would it make any different? I just like an answer not an question of my

question maybe you should enrol in Australian Politics

OP, thanks to sustento you've got your concrete answer.

As to being annoyed by somebody asking you a question here is one for you:

A set of 12 old wise men were asked the following: - "Is it proper to answer a question with another question?"

After long dispute and deliberation their answer was: - "Why not?" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Actually, the last case of tagging I read about in the west was in Florida, just a few weeks ago.

He died at the scene.

I congratulate the American cops.

Go ask a policeman.

If all your questions are going to be as interesting as this one you will get through a lot of cups of coffee.

Have to say, that, according to the OP, we, have let him down on a number of occasions by not answering his questions in a timely manner.

There are standards to be met and, apparently, we've, on more then one occasion, missed those marks.

Will be a restless sleep tonight.

How about you?

• Like 1

re

Well I guess another wasted post no concrete answers to my question

i can tell you after walking the streets ,

sois of chiang mai for the last six years ive never seen any graffiti on a public building , school , temple . monument

or government / tessaban building !

apart from these two which were painted on the side of chiang mai commercial college last month

a few small ones were painted there before but they were painted over in days unlike these two big ones which were still there yesterday !

i punched in graffiti in my picture file and 540 pictures came up !

95 % of them in chiang mai

dave2

ps .. the face fish one is opposite the prince hotel the ghost with a halo is in chiang moi road !

post-42592-0-55658800-1380719658_thumb.j

post-42592-0-14328100-1380719680_thumb.j

post-42592-0-77010300-1380719720_thumb.j

post-42592-0-41217600-1380719742_thumb.j

Go ask a policeman.

If all your questions are going to be as interesting as this one you will get through a lot of cups of coffee.

Have to say, that, according to the OP, we, have let him down on a number of occasions by not answering his questions in a timely manner.

There are standards to be met and, apparently, we've, on more then one occasion, missed those marks.

Will be a restless sleep tonight.

How about you?

Serves him right if he's only paying the minimum wage whistling.gif

From the Thai Criminal Code:

TITLE IV OFFENCE RELATING TO RELIGION

Section 206 Whoever, to do, by any means whatever, to the object or place of religious worship of any group of persons in the manner likely to insult such religion, shall be imprisoned as from two years to seven years or fined as from two thousand Baht to fourteen thousand Baht, or both.

Section 207 Whoever to cause a disturbance at an assembly of religious persons lawfully engaged at the time of meeting in religious worship or performing religious ceremonies shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding one year or fined not exceeding two thousand Baht, or both.

Section 208 Whoever, wrongfully dressing or using the symbol manifesting that oneself to be Buddhist monk or novice, holy man or clergyman of any religion so as to make the other person to believe that oneself to be such person, shall be imprisoned not out of one year or fined not out of two thousand Baht.

BTW I'm no great expert on the Thai Criminal Code but I can type "thai criminal religion" into Google rolleyes.gif

He died at the scene.

one down, 999,000 to go.

They are criminals, and the death was an accident. Usually nothing is done.

well white christmas,

ill say one thing, you soon get the hump,

10 posts on your thread, well 7 as 3 were your and you calling one of the other members an old crock,

youll be having to change your name again soon and make another comeback.

jake

still the same name since 2006

To me Graffiti belongs to brain dead folk. Folk who have nooooooo future, do not have any brain cells, but expect/want admiration for the daub. bah.gif

Not all of them it would seem. In today's news.

British street artist Banksy begins month-long show on the streets of Manhattan

October 03, 2013

http://www.news.com.au/travel/world-travel/british-street-artist-banksy-begins-month-long-show-on-the-streets-of-manhattan/story-e6frfqai-1226731923290

Banksy’s street artworks have sold for millions at auction, after being pulled from walls in the UK and California. He also directed the street art documentary Exit Through The Gift Shop.

http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/ForResidents/StreetCleaningandGraffiti/GraffitiStreetArt/Pages/Whatisstreetart.aspx

Edited by cpofc

But are they any laws? I am talking about graffiti on a temple. like anybody I ask they don't know

it is not just a building it is a temple

No laws, just a thorough a$$ whopping by any bystanders and cops that are in the neighborhood.