New Kanchanaburi border crossing open?

Can you explain a bit more about how you went about this? So the Thai Immigration guy told you you couldn't go through the crossing, and you ignored him and went through? Then what happened? Did you have to ride your bike far to get to Burmese Immigration, or just a case of going through and turning straight around and coming back?

I've only ever handed my passport over to the chap in the office and gone and waited at the coffee shop, as that seems to be the only way they will allow you of doing it. Like the idea of saving 300 baht of course but don't want a run in with Thai Immigration for the sake of it!

Hi,

I was told I could go through, but not on my bike. The minivan was the method suggested, which led me to suspect I was about to be given a special price...

I pretended to follow his advice, left my bike at the coffee shop and went into the waiting area. Once the immigration officer was dealing with a cute lass, I crossed over to the Customs office and waited patiently while he finished a conversation with a Thai bringing vegetables back... I asked the Customs officer if I needed to pay any fees to ride my bike up to the Burmese Immigration office for a stamp before returning here in short-shrift. "No need to pay" was his response.

Walked back to my bike, told the Immigration officer that I did not have to pay anything and rode over. A border patrol police officer clicked open the gate for me.

I rode up the hill passed a security hut, down to the Immigration office, had my mugshot paid my 600 Baht, talked bikes with the officers for 10 mins and made my way back in a total of 30 minutes. Stopped to talk bikes with the Customs officer, but saw the Immigration officer head into his office when I turned up...

The two stamps I collected at the Burmese Immigration office take up 1/3rd of a page total - nothing untoward there...

I hope that helps.

Hi,

Just got back from the new border crossing yesterday. They would not let me cross the border. I was told that border hops cannot be done at this crossing any more. I have a non imm visa so that wasn't the problem. Have to go all the way to Cambodia now. Don't waste your time.

Can you explain a bit more about how you went about this? So the Thai Immigration guy told you you couldn't go through the crossing, and you ignored him and went through? Then what happened? Did you have to ride your bike far to get to Burmese Immigration, or just a case of going through and turning straight around and coming back?

I've only ever handed my passport over to the chap in the office and gone and waited at the coffee shop, as that seems to be the only way they will allow you of doing it. Like the idea of saving 300 baht of course but don't want a run in with Thai Immigration for the sake of it!

Hi,

I was told I could go through, but not on my bike. The minivan was the method suggested, which led me to suspect I was about to be given a special price...

I pretended to follow his advice, left my bike at the coffee shop and went into the waiting area. Once the immigration officer was dealing with a cute lass, I crossed over to the Customs office and waited patiently while he finished a conversation with a Thai bringing vegetables back... I asked the Customs officer if I needed to pay any fees to ride my bike up to the Burmese Immigration office for a stamp before returning here in short-shrift. "No need to pay" was his response.

Walked back to my bike, told the Immigration officer that I did not have to pay anything and rode over. A border patrol police officer clicked open the gate for me.

I rode up the hill passed a security hut, down to the Immigration office, had my mugshot paid my 600 Baht, talked bikes with the officers for 10 mins and made my way back in a total of 30 minutes. Stopped to talk bikes with the Customs officer, but saw the Immigration officer head into his office when I turned up...

The two stamps I collected at the Burmese Immigration office take up 1/3rd of a page total - nothing untoward there...

I hope that helps.

Hi,

Just got back from the new border crossing yesterday. They would not let me cross the border. I was told that border hops cannot be done at this crossing any more. I have a non imm visa so that wasn't the problem. Have to go all the way to Cambodia now. Don't waste your time.

that sounds strange! weren't they letting any farang cross?

Living on Samui, what is the easiest way to get a visa for Myanmar as i would like to drive into the country, maybe to Yangon, make the trip worthwhile.

Also, would there be any problems driving my Surat Thani registered car into Myanmar

Hi,

Find that hard to believe. Was there a week ago and all was as normal. Are you sure there wasn't some issue specifically with you? For example, were you trying to do the border hop by yourself rather than use the company that ferries you over and back again by minibus?

Hi,

Find that hard to believe. Was there a week ago and all was as normal. Are you sure there wasn't some issue specifically with you? For example, were you trying to do the border hop by yourself rather than use the company that ferries you over and back again by minibus?

Sounds strange to me:i done it last week:all was ok.maybe u done it alreat three times:in that case the officer told me cannot border it again.

Is there anywhere to stay near the border? On either side (if they even let you stay on the Myanmar side?)

Of course they will let you stay on the Myanmar side. It's one of the 4 crossings that has opened for visa holders so show up with a visa in advance. However, my research tells me that there is nowhere to stay near the border on the Myanmar side, you'll have to travel to somewhere like Dawei, some 140km from the border for accommodation.

Visas on arrival will apparently be available soon, but for now show up with a visa in advance if you want to travel further into Myanmar or stay overnight. No idea about the one day visas but when I do show up at that crossing, I will show up with a visa as I have done 3 times already at the Mae Sot crossing.

The Myanmar authorities should consider stopping one day visas altogether since they have opened the land borders to foreigners holding visas and force everyone to buy a visa on arrival (or show up with a visa in advance as is currently the case) that allows for access to the whole country like other countries do (reportedly they will start implementing this system sometime later this year). For example, Laos does not allow foreigners to access their country on a 1-day stamp or something like that. You get a 15 or 30 day stay permit depending on your nationality (the 15 day ones are free) and it's up to you about how long you want to stay. Spending US$30 for just a 20 minute stay to satisfy the requirements of a Thai visa run is a waste of resources I think, but it's up to the individual if they want to travel further or just spend a few minutes getting a stamp. Personally, I'd always choose to spend at least a night or so (with the exception of day trips to Myanmar in the past but even there I'd always spend at least a few hours inside the border town).

It is now about 5 months since you posted that VOA's will be available. Is this facility up and running yet.

I can confirm that they are no longer issuing 30 day stamps at this border. I went today and was denied. This was my 3rd in a row, not my 4th. I was told in no uncertain terms that they are simply not doing 30 stamps here at all anymore (LOL Thailand, thanks for the warning!). I was not even able to get 7 days so I am pushed into overstay. Avoid this border unless you have an actual visa.

Bangkok tomorrow and a flight home. It's been fun Thailand.

Edited by orbital777

Hi,

Sounds strange to me:i done it last week:all was ok.maybe u done it alreat three times:in that case the officer told me cannot border it again.

They stopped doing crossings here on the 1st of this month. Just missed it by 4 days........

Hi,

They stopped doing crossings here on the 1st of this month. Just missed it by 4 days........

I guess you can only cross there if you have a visa now ?

I have a non imm and still refused.

So I guess this border is now pretty much useless unless you want to go right into Myanmar on one of their visas.

I wonder how many days you need to stay inside Myanmar before the Thai's will let you back in.

Heard today that as from the 1st of the month it is only open for Thai and Myanmar citizens and to other nationals with a visa for Myanmar already in their passport.

What a bad decision:with border or visa run they pretty make a good amount of money.What is the point to open just to thai people or people with already a local visa,instead in that border there is nothing,and the nearest touristic point is about 5 hours driving?

I can confirm that they are no longer issuing 30 day stamps at this border. I went today and was denied. This was my 3rd in a row, not my 4th. I was told in no uncertain terms that they are simply not doing 30 stamps here at all anymore (LOL Thailand, thanks for the warning!). I was not even able to get 7 days so I am pushed into overstay. Avoid this border unless you have an actual visa.

Bangkok tomorrow and a flight home. It's been fun Thailand.

Thanks orbital for the updates:thats mean that also go there for the first border run they will not let you do it?WOW

Heard today that as from the 1st of the month it is only open for Thai and Myanmar citizens and to other nationals with a visa for Myanmar already in their passport.

What a bad decision:with border or visa run they pretty make a good amount of money.What is the point to open just to thai people or people with already a local visa,instead in that border there is nothing,and the nearest touristic point is about 5 hours driving?

Thai people also need a Myanmar visa for any substantial travel when entering at any land border with Myanmar. The proposed visa waiver agreement between the two countries has not yet been signed.

Is there anywhere to stay near the border? On either side (if they even let you stay on the Myanmar side?)

Of course they will let you stay on the Myanmar side. It's one of the 4 crossings that has opened for visa holders so show up with a visa in advance. However, my research tells me that there is nowhere to stay near the border on the Myanmar side, you'll have to travel to somewhere like Dawei, some 140km from the border for accommodation.

Visas on arrival will apparently be available soon, but for now show up with a visa in advance if you want to travel further into Myanmar or stay overnight. No idea about the one day visas but when I do show up at that crossing, I will show up with a visa as I have done 3 times already at the Mae Sot crossing.

The Myanmar authorities should consider stopping one day visas altogether since they have opened the land borders to foreigners holding visas and force everyone to buy a visa on arrival (or show up with a visa in advance as is currently the case) that allows for access to the whole country like other countries do (reportedly they will start implementing this system sometime later this year). For example, Laos does not allow foreigners to access their country on a 1-day stamp or something like that. You get a 15 or 30 day stay permit depending on your nationality (the 15 day ones are free) and it's up to you about how long you want to stay. Spending US$30 for just a 20 minute stay to satisfy the requirements of a Thai visa run is a waste of resources I think, but it's up to the individual if they want to travel further or just spend a few minutes getting a stamp. Personally, I'd always choose to spend at least a night or so (with the exception of day trips to Myanmar in the past but even there I'd always spend at least a few hours inside the border town).

It is now about 5 months since you posted that VOA's will be available. Is this facility up and running yet.

Nope not yet, but according to another member, BruceBayliss, 7-day visas on arrival allowing travel to Dawei are now available BUT in light of Thai immigration not allowing exit without a Myanmar visa it's probably better to arrive with one and besides, you can travel legally to other parts of the country too and exit at other crossings whereas with the 7-day one you'd have to exit at the same crossing, which has now become problematic.

I suspect that when Myanmar does offer VOA for full travel inside the country, then Thai immigration will once again allow you to show up at this border but they probably don't want to see border hoppers, but rather people who are heading to Myanmar and maybe eventually returning to Thailand some days or weeks later or perhaps returning through another crossing or from Myanmar to a third country.

So I guess this border is now pretty much useless unless you want to go right into Myanmar on one of their visas.

I wonder how many days you need to stay inside Myanmar before the Thai's will let you back in.

If you entered Myanmar via this crossing and are coming back after 1 night in Myanmar OR you entered Myanmar via air or another overland crossing on a Myanmar visa and eventually enter Thailand through this crossing you should be OK. Not however if you show up from the Thai side with no Myanmar visa - however, I wonder if you can convince the officers that you want to spend 7 days in Myanmar on the 7-day visa on arrival for Dawei. However, the officers know that you'll be back to Thailand after that so probably they still want to see a genuine Myanmar visa rather than a proposed short term stay in Dawei.

Nope not yet, but according to another member, BruceBayliss, 7-day visas on arrival allowing travel to Dawei are now available BUT in light of Thai immigration not allowing exit without a Myanmar visa it's probably better to arrive with one and besides, you can travel legally to other parts of the country too and exit at other crossings whereas with the 7-day one you'd have to exit at the same crossing, which has now become problematic.

I suspect that when Myanmar does offer VOA for full travel inside the country, then Thai immigration will once again allow you to show up at this border but they probably don't want to see border hoppers, but rather people who are heading to Myanmar and maybe eventually returning to Thailand some days or weeks later or perhaps returning through another crossing or from Myanmar to a third country.

Sorry I stand corrected. According to Ubonjoe, Myanmar decided to stop allowing border passes at that crossing hence a visa is now required. So that probably means the 7-day pass I have referred to also no longer exists.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Rob. My next run is late September. In the meantime i will call my mate at immigration in Tak and see what he has to say; will post any information I can get.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Direct from an immigration official at the border in Tak:

"Only Non-Imm Multiple visas are allowed to cross into Burma/Cambodia/Laos without at visa from that country already in the passport."

This is a new policy that should be being enforced equally at all border crossings.

If you have a Non-Imm single entry you will not be allowed to cross unless you have a visa for your destination. Getting back in is therefore a question of getting a new visa...

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the update Rob. My next run is late September. In the meantime i will call my mate at immigration in Tak and see what he has to say; will post any information I can get.

Entries at border crossings is not limited to non immigrant visa entries only. People can still enter on tourist visas and visa exempt entries but may be denied entry if they have several of them already.

If you want to enter Myanmar you will need to a visa from the embassy to cross at the crossing mentioned in this topic.

Denied entry with a multiple non imm

Were you at this specific border denied entry into Burma with a Burma visa?

Or are you talking about something else?

This specific border.

So you were denied entry into Burma with a Burmese visa at this border? Or were you trying to do a visarun here from Thailand with your non-immigrant visa but without a Burma visa?

Denied entry with a multiple non imm

if you didnt have a visa for Myanmar, then they of course they aren't going to let you in.

• 3 weeks later...