Thai flood: Picture of devastation emerges

webfact

FLOOD
Picture of devastation emerges

The Nation

30216156-01_big.jpg?1380754165515
Floods receding, but 25 provinces still under water, 27 people dead so far

BANGKOK: -- Twenty-five provinces - mostly in the North, Northeast and East of the country - remain flooded, though the situation is improving, says the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.

Seasonal flooding, which has hit 32 provinces since September 17, has affected 2.86 million people and left 27 dead, said Chatchai Phromlert, director-general of the department.

He added that floodwaters have damaged 14,405 houses, 2.12 million rai of farmland, 4,899 roads, 197 bridges and 516 dikes or weirs.

Of the 32 provinces affected by flooding, the situation has eased in seven - Kanchanaburi, Chumphon, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Kalasin, Phayao and Mae Hong Son, Chatchai said.

Among the 25 provinces still suffering, 21 have been hit by flash floods, and four others - Ayutthaya, Angthong, Sing Buri and Suphan Buri - by overflowing rivers.

"In general, the situation has improved. Water levels have receded in many areas although there is still flooding in low-lying areas and areas along riverbanks," Chatchai said.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday that she had instructed provincial authorities and the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation to survey the flood damage so that compensation could be paid to those affected.

Yingluck said the government was ready to compensate victims according to the level of damage suffered, but she declined to confirm whether the flat rate of Bt5,000 paid to victims of the 2011 flood crisis would be repeated.

The prime minister said she wanted to see "more integration" among the state agencies responsible for tackling the flood crisis.

Patients sent away

Meanwhile, flooding has forced Prachantakham Hospital in Prachin Buri to suspend admission of new patients, according to Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong. He said the hospital's wastewater treatment system has worked since it was hit by floodwater.

New patients who need to be hospitalised would be sent to Kabin Buri Hospital, he added.

The minister also said that he has instructed the management of |57 hospitals at risk of flooding in |10 northern and northeastern provinces to work to the best of |their ability to safeguard their hospitals.

In Prachin Buri alone, 16 hospitals and clinics run by the Ministry of Public Health have been flooded, according to Narong Sahametapat, permanent secretary for public health.

He said health officials are on the alert for breakouts of disease related to the floods.

Deputy permanent secretary for Public Health, Wachira Pengjuntr, who heads the ministry's "flood war room", said that most of the 27 victims of the latest crisis had drowned

In 2011, Thailand suffered its worst flooding in half a century. More than 800 people were killed and 37.5 million rai (6 million hectares) of agricultural, industrial and residential land were devastated.

Many of the country's industrial estates, which export electronic parts, auto parts and hard-disk drives, were swamped, as were large parts of Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-03
  • Like 1

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully compensation will be paid alot quicker than last time. Some of my wifes friends in Rangsit are still waiting for the promised payout after the 2011 flood.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Twenty-five provinces - mostly in the North, Northeast and East of the country - remain flooded, though the situation is improving, says the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation.
This is Thai talk for move all your belongings upstairs, order in sand bags, make sure your pumps are working etc etc.

Disgraceful poor Thais have to suffer this flooding again and agin while the Thai fat cats go to their clubs, have their fancy lunches, chauffered cars, and go to hang around with other Thai fat cats and look at these photos of the helpless little people. It would be interesting to know how much flood charity money the Thai fat cats donate all the time and to which known charities?

How many of the publicity seeking but totally insincere fat cats, especially those involved with PTP, decided it was best not to donate after seeking Mr. T's picture plastered all over Prachin Buri and the goody bags being handed out ?

He's not the man to be seen trying to better.

Hopefully compensation will be paid alot quicker than last time. Some of my wifes friends in Rangsit are still waiting for the promised payout after the 2011 flood.

Did they fill out all the paperwork ?

Forms after Forms to be filled out, Offices to be visited, photo copies of i,d, house book etc, many needed... Guess over about 18 months received 47,000 baht, the largest cheque was 5,000 baht, all the others small amounts. each time note in letterbox = more photo copies, more trips to Government offices, and to Banks to cash said slips..

The time and cost it took and over 18 months is it ever worth it ?

when people have lost things and had to stay away from home for 4 - 6 weeks, a slip of paper to go to Bank and get 1,000 baht is not a lot of help in trying to replace anything, and that coming months after the event

• Like 2

my house was under water for 5 weeks and still never get anything from anyone .....

Where are the red shirts?

Aren't they supposed to be looking after the people?

4 legs good, 2 legs better

You simply need to broaden your news sources... The Nation will never report on things that might place the Reds in a positive light and the Bangkok Post cannot be quoted here. But if you genuinely want an answer to your question, just look at the first link here: https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=%22red%20shirts%22%20%22floods%22%20%222013%22

• Like 1

We can but only now wait for the denials concerning the flooding and the resultant damages from the assorted government spokespersons, Yingluck, Plod and Uncle Somchai and all.

Now the excuses will of course start no doubt on the theme that those nasty Democrats posted photo shopped images to tarnish the governments name in their bid ( the Democrats) to unseat the Thaksin clan and their brown nosing acolytes

Or excuse line 2.

The flooding was caused by the opponents of this government dabbling in magical rites, black magic etc etc thus the spirits were roused to act into a malevolent action just like those spirits who have caused all those problems at at Swampy.whistling.gif

Karma is a biatch

Vote PTP and you get to live under water

Vote for the Democrats and be happy, save from all harm and been taken care of at all times!

Reality is a bitch, too!

I agree, the dems most likely would not have done much about the flood problems either, but at least with the dems in power, we would not have had to pay 350 billion for "nothing" smile.png

In short, it is better to have a government that does absolutely nothing, than a government that does nothing but steal public funds!

• Like 1

Nobody is ever forced to build a house where it floods every year.

It is personal choice, and the government should not be involved.

If they had built a traditional house on stilts, no problem.

I think the above statement is one of the most nescient post I have seen on TVF. I am not flaming just making an observation.

Clicked "like" and have to admit that I very much like your signature too!

• Like 2

Where are the red shirts?

Aren't they supposed to be looking after the people?

4 legs good, 2 legs better

You simply need to broaden your news sources... The Nation will never report on things that might place the Reds in a positive light and the Bangkok Post cannot be quoted here. But if you genuinely want an answer to your question, just look at the first link here: https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=%22red%20shirts%22%20%22floods%22%20%222013%22

Hmmm I see what you mean the Redshirts gave 100 small boats and 2,000 bags of packed rice and dried goods to locals in Si Maha Phot district. But when you consider thirty-two out of 77 provinces have experienced flooding since mid-September, 23 people have been killed, more than 2.8 million people were affected by the floodwaters and 15,254 had been evacuated from their homes, its not much of an effort.

But wait there is more to come, the government will release more water from the Pasak Jolasid dam which will increase water levels and flooding in low lying areas.

Edited by waza

FLOOD... 2556 Years Later!
Picture of the consequenses of sheer stupidity and greed

COC

Blame the government? For what? This is what they do! How about blame the people sitting in the water, and the ones who bought homes that were built these last 8 months in the flood areas? How about all those who sit on their hands the year round until the next flood?

It is clear to any developed mind that the government is not going to do a thing about this. Crying about it, and sitting on one's hands the year round really makes the crying insincere.

On a side note, maybe those cute girls, in that article photo, who are trying to ban smoking, could spare some time to badger and harass their government to lend a hand in all this?

• Like 1

In the US, people who own houses in flood prone areas are required to have flood insurance which is offered through the US Government - when its open! Maybe to expect such a program in Thailand is unrealistic. In addition, when there is a serious disaster, low interest government loans are made available to those affected by the situation. The problem with just 'giving' people money affected by floods does usually does not distinguish regarding 'need'. It is just a one size fits all solution which is usually inadequate. Because it is inadequate, people are forced to get loans to repair damage to their property that most wll likely be higher than if the government had some type of program. You can't ignore people who need help in this kind of situation. You never know when you might be in the same 'boat' as them!!

Edited by pookiki
  • Like 1

Glad to see the trillions in flood prevention funding went to such good use. Great job PTP!

This just goes to show that the Government don't give a toss about Thailand's heritage. At this rate there will be nothing left of it in a few years. Greed and corruption will win through in the end leaving Thailand as a shell of it's former self.

More rubbish from a PM well out of her depth, sorry no pun intended.

This woman said there was no flooding and that there wouldn't be followed by another muppet claiming everything was under control. If she wants to speak out she should at least admit the government got it all wrong, again, but that's too much to expect as is an explaination as to what happened to all the flood prevention and defence promised after 2011.

All the floods have meant to her was yet another photo op in prachin Buri which she screwed up by looking as if she was delighted to be there. Apart from her usual blunders over words she didn't even know which game face was appropriate.

I don't support any political party. Each side is as bad as the other.

I doubt any PM would ever say there will be no flooding and anyone that believes that any political party can prevent flooding is extremely gullible. The amount of devastation caused by flooding can be reduced but never completely eradicated.

Flooding happens in the western world every year as well so if it can't be prevented there why would anyone think it can be here.

• Like 1

NO PROMPREM - do you underasatänd Misateh?

This time round though PTP and the Heroic Leader cannot blame anyone else but ....... the Weather gods. The opposition was out before the last floods and keeps remarkably quiet this time round.
Something big is cooking - I fear!

Karma is a biatch

Vote PTP and you get to live under water

Vote for the Democrats and be happy, save from all harm and been taken care of at all times!

Reality is a bitch, too!

I agree, the dems most likely would not have done much about the flood problems either, but at least with the dems in power, we would not have had to pay 350 billion for "nothing" smile.png

In short, it is better to have a government that does absolutely nothing, than a government that does nothing but steal public funds!

How are you all so sure, that any other party would have acted any different?

With corruption being a part of everyday life in Thailand, why would any politician, who has his snout in the feeding bowl, act any different!

In this country, everybody who can get hands on the money, will get hands on the money!

But that is only my private opinion.

This will keep reoccuring. We have seen the pattern. Look at the past to know the future. It would take a revolution to kick out the oligarchies and start fresh. Billions of baht into flood prevention that has not materialized. The locals would have to unify and stand up.

This isn't a place in which the people have that level of knowledge nor courage even if they did know how badly they are shafted by a feudal oligarchy.

• Like 2