3BB DSL speed varies recently dramatically by time of day

caramba77

Hi

this has been driving us nuts now for a week. We have the standard 10Mbit/s 3BB since about a year and usually were quite happy with actual speeds of about 5-7 Mbit/s in our apartment in Chiang Mai.

However, since about a week the speed has decreased dramatically down to 0.2 Mbit/s or connection losses, and pings of between 166-400ms. This is worst between 10am and early afternoon. In the evenings and at night the speed may go up to about 2.5 Mbit/s.The speed is the same no matter whether we connect via WiFi or via ethernet cable.

3BB is usually quite helpful and they've sent technicians to check the line in front of the building twice. Not sure what time they came, but they reported the line is fine and it must be the line in our house.

Now, the building is relatively new but has always had lots of static on the phone line (only for house internal calls), which also carries the DSL signal. However, this static has always still allowed the reasonable good speeds mentioned above and I would assume that a problem in the building line would result in constantly bad signal.

Can anyone advise on whether this recent quality decrease is likely to be due to the internal line or more likely to be an outside of the building problem? Or is there any way of diagnosing this further?

Thanks

I have a 3bb connection to and have the same problem as you. i checked everything myself and called them several times nothing works.

i just started to accept it that sometimes it takes 5 minutes to load webpage and sometimes 5 seconds. few times a day i have no internet to.

Sent from my GT-I9082L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Been having the same problem here in Hua Hin. Engineers came round today & changed the router but still didn't work properly. Finally they called Bangkok who told them there is a problem with the 3BB server which is affecting the whole of Thailand. They had no idea when it would be fixed but said they would ring me. I will post here when that happens.

Cheers

Thanks, happydays, at least that's an answer that would make sense and explain the situation. Let's hope they get it sorted out soon. It would be nice though if they could communicate this to their Hotline support staff, so they could inform customers who call with similar probs.

I'll post if things get back to normal over here.

Cheers

I've had problems for 2 months in Pattyaa, speed has been OK, but internet signal has been in and out. Had very little help with the problem except 'sorry'. Last week I went to the 3BB shop and binned it after 8 years. Now signed up with local cable operator and getting what it says on the tin.

Got 2 weeks left of my 3BB so gave it a go this morning, signal very unstable. I gave them a call out of curiosity when i was told that numerous engineers had been to my house and said the problem was with the incompatible equipment I am using that was not supplied by them.

I have not seen an engineer in ages, the equipment i am using is the same shit cheap router they supplied. They just cant help lying. Just reinforces my decision in canceling my contract with them.

I am in the process of installing a LEASED LINE to Australia. I am with TOT. They cannot help me with what I wnat unless I pay 200,000 baht per MONTH!

SO I ahve been alooking at other service providers. AND 3BB was and is one I am considering. I was told by BANGKOK they are WAY oversubscribed in ALL OF THAILAND on the NORMAL services and are pushing ahead with a NEW busines spackage. (Obviously aimed at US FOREIGNERS as it is a 10,000 per month service).

Now the speeds here are so much better and they are calling it a leased line option. SO if you want to know the REAL REASON you are slow... OVERSUBSCIBED and that is from teh main techs in their bangkok hub

In San Sai

Downloaded the Loan Ranger (720p HD version) and 3 episodes of Peaky Blinders and Hell on Wheels last night.

They maxed out my connection at 1.2MiB/s in the evening, Lone Ranger was a bit slower but everything finished by this morning (about 3.5GB in total).

3BB does it for me at 631bht/month.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Consumer ADSL your paying for is NOT GUARANTEED bandwidth -- that is much more expensive (even in the US). It is easy to provide high bandwidth in a domestic market, but most of us here use 100% international bandwidth and with so many foreigners here doing that.... have expectations that we will get the same bandwidth that we would get if we were back home (in the domestic market). If you really want that at an affordable price.... you really should not be on this side of the world.... locate closer to it :P

I use 3bb (in Bangkok) and I am able to Skype (sometimes with issues - but probably due to the fact that my network is often saturated), and often use around 1TB+ bandwidth per line (I have 2) sometimes as much as 2TB per line..... I just know that when they have excess available I get it, when they have to manage international bandwidth due to peak demand periods - I will get less.

I find usually from:
- 12midnight - 9am - full bandwidth
- 9am til 1pm - usually full bandwidth, sometimes 66% or 50% if it is congested
- 1pm til 6:15pm - often full bandwidth, sometimes 50% of bandwidth
- 6:15pm til midnight - usually down to 15% to 33% of bandwidth.

I am quite happy with 3bb, but maybe my expectations are more inline with reality.

Well, in our situation the low bandwidth currently is unlikely to be caused by oversubscription. We've had great speeds until last week (6-7 Mbit/s on a 10Mbit line) and now the speeds are down to 1.5 constantly, even 5am in the morning, and drop down to 0.2 before lunch - hardly times with peak usage of internet and very different to the Internet slow down allegedly caused by students after school.

I'm still no wiser as how to find out whether it's really our house internal line that somehow needs fixing but since only few other people seem to have comparable problems, this may be the case. Got to find a capable technician to check the system I guess.

Are you talking about modem sync speeds or actual in use browser speed tests? I just got back to CM after being in the UK for a few months and my sync speed is down to 6Mbps, I also experienced a few hours at least of connection drops a couple of days ago. The support person I spoke to today said there was a problem when a powerline went down the other day but that it is fixed now. They are sending an engineer to check my line tomorrow. I have a TPLink modem which shows maximum attainable rate aw well as current sync rate. Mine used to be in the 20+ now it is less than 10. As I've been away for sometime I don't know if something happened to the cable termination outside the condo. Hopefully that's the problem and the engineer can fix it.

--damole