Do You Need Thailand?

theblether

Do you need Thailand? Or could you take it or leave it.

If you had to head to the airport tomorrow would it bother you? Or would you celebrate it?

If you had your time again, would you have even have moved here in the first place? Or is it truly Amazing Thailand for you?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having children keeps me connected to thailand. If not, pleasant memories only. A better view on thailand came really when had kids. Should have followed my gut feeling then. Did not. Thailand though has everything to be a perfect country to live in without having too many commitments. Its like a fatal attraction ! Or like a woman. Cant live with it, her, and cant live without it, her.

All has a purpose in life !

What's Amazing about Thailand?

I do like it here. Wouldn't want to go.

Who 'needs' Thailand? Not me...

If forced to go - would need time to sell and get my money out.

I am sure my wife would come with me. But I could be wrong(?)

No, it is not 'love' but

- who else would she push into the shower 3 - 4 times a day without threat of physical retribution?

- who else would cook lovely European food for her? (honestly, she is now as good as I am)

- who else would respond 'Up2U', darling 9 out of 10 times when she thinks we 'need' something?

I am the 'one and only', - am I not? giggle.gif

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

Having children keeps me connected to thailand. If not, pleasant memories only. A better view on thailand came really when had kids. Should have followed my gut feeling then. Did not. Thailand though has everything to be a perfect country to live in without having too many commitments. Its like a fatal attraction ! Or like a woman. Cant live with it, her, and cant live without it, her.

All has a purpose in life !

What happened?

@theblether....As you have seen, and discussed with me. You already know my thoughts on this, and I just hope others are on track with their lives as well.

Life is too short to not be organized, isn't it.

your OP questions...

(1) if your happy with it and all the differences that sometimes makes you want to rant and rave...and we all do

(2) As stated before on a different thread a while back....The International Airport is 15minutes down the road if needed.

(3) Probably...If I had the same wife as I have now.

• Like 1

BTW, blether, I must admit you are a good 'starter'.

I've noticed I answer the threads you start often and with pleasure.

Not saying you are 'good', don't get too proud. But usually it's fun.

As a 'starter' can I use you in making sourdough bread? Or curdling milk? - cannot find rennet in shops... laugh.png

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 2

I love Thailand but, its the exchange rate that I need. If living cost was up with Japan or Singapore, Id forget the place quickly. My wife keeps me tied to Thailand, but more permanently my daughter always will.

I love Thailand but options are limited here unless you are on an ex-pat package from your company or living off a trust fund. For normal working class foreigners, it can be hand to mouth and you can never really assume anything. I have been here four years and leave the end of the month for a new job in Malaysia. However, my goal is to save and work there for 3-4 years and return to Thailand permanently as soon as I have my nest egg.

• Like 1

Do I need it?

No I don't need it. The world is a big place. Although I am quite contented here and noone likes having their contentment interrupted no matter where they are or what they are doing.

As a matter of a fact even if I had to leave tomorrow, I would still get back the money I have laid out, which is minimal anyway. My Sister in law (USA) confirmed that as recently as last night. I am in a win win situation.

Thailand ceased being 'amazing' a long time ago for me. On the contrary it is probably falangs who amaze me more. Read about them everyday and their antics in places like Nana, Phuket and Pattaya. Some of that is pretty amazing!

Admittedly I have never worked in Thailand and I never had any desire to do so. I always believed that working here could ruin a good thing as aTomsLife post above attests.

Unfortunately he is no 'Robinson Crusoe'.

• Like 1

There's a number of places I'd rather be than here. But there's also 40 kilos keeping me here. The only reason I'd do it all over again, would be to meet her again.

Other than that, no. I'd rather be in a foreign culture that is not so foreign as Thailand's. Such as Belize or Argentina.

The big bone of contention here is the Thai style of face.

• Like 2

I love Thailand but, its the exchange rate that I need. If living cost was up with Japan or Singapore, Id forget the place quickly. My wife keeps me tied to Thailand, but more permanently my daughter always will.

It is a good point you make about exchange rate and cost of living. I'd be much happier if South Korea was cheaper like Thailand

Sex addicts would need Tailand, and guys who pay for sex most of the time

it seems to me a lot of men really stay for that reason only.... cheap sex with gorgeous ladyboys especially, one cannot find elsewhere.

I'm of the opinion the country really can make foreigners jump through any kind of hoop because of sex availability. ( I used to think it was the women prostitutes, , but now I feel it's katoey, too, maybe mostly even as much as AIDS is spreading )

I'm sure the immigration hoops have to do with keeping perverts out, but I think it may have an opposite affect of keeping a lot of quality, ethical folk out, <deleted> there is no stability in having a 90 day visa... how else do they get away with such absurd rules ?

Agree the place is far better with a minimum of contact with Thai bureaucracy, having lived here as a business and as retired, the business aspects, and immigration , 90 day runs etc etc etc etc etc are really too much of a hassle but actually dealing with anything is horrible- when you don't a Thai partner to take care of it.

Need it< No way cannot wait to get out, it's beautiful where I'm at, but Thais make it so difficult for foreigners. I resent they can own land and businesses in my country and feel like,once I get ack home well protesting at a Thai embassy or something.

I guess a lot of what makes people stay is their home country, I guess if I were a different nationality, Thailand might well be be a better option.

Glad I'm not !

SNIPPET;

Admittedly I have never worked in Thailand and I never had any desire to do so. I always believed that working here could ruin a good thing as aTomsLife post above attests.

Unfortunately he is no 'Robinson Crusoe'.

I like living here and I have a good life.

Both my wife and I have lived away from our home countries for significant periods of our adult lives. I doubt either of us would have difficulty adjusting to life elsewhere.

That said, I'm happy that I have no reason to leave.

1) Yes it's addictive,tried many times to give it up but after 27 years we're stuck like glue.

2) I only go back to visit my family and yes it bothers me, not my family, going back,so no i certainly don't celebrate it.

3) Like the lovely old song ''If i had my life to live over,I'd do the same things again,I'd still like to roam,to a place i call home,where my happiness never would end'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7QQ_22qTM

Hope this answers your question.

• Like 1

I have a good time here, but I would leave if I separated from my wife, for whatever reason. I know guys who are the exact opposite...they soldier on through no matter what and wouldn't go anywhere else. I am not like that. So, for the time being, it is a fun place to be and much less stressful than other places (not to be mentioned) that I have been in Asia.