Do You Need Thailand?

theblether

the real question here is "does the blether need thaivisa forum?".the answer to this is a resounding yes

Why should anyone ask if the Blether needs the Thaivisa Forum? He travels, he visits people, people visit him. I had the pleasure of doing that recently, and I can't wait to do it again.

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although from the UK I spent 11 years in Spain before moving to Thailand, which I thought I knew well.

I would happily move back to Spain but my Thai wife would not, needs to be near the family.

Me to , i have lived 17 years on the island of Ibiza in the winter i travel to Asia, India , Sri Lanka and Thailand. Now i am Living here 4 years have a good Wife and a lovly Doughter. We might move in the next couple of years. Spain is nice , and warm good People good food.No Visa hassel, i hate it.

If you had your time again, would you have even have moved here in the first place? Yes, but I wouldn't have stayed as long

Or is it truly Amazing Thailand for you? No, it's never been amazing, but had been enjoyable for the most part in the earlier days

I would have loved to experience the Thailand of old. I mentioned earlier that I've reached the point of diminishing returns, and it sounds like you have a similar perspective. Mind sharing some details for why you feel this way?

Beyond the Thai education system and my career goals, I feel this way because the lifestyle here seems overly materialistic and judgmental. I know the west is materialistic and judgemental too, but that's exactly my point. I don't see a reason to live as a permanent outsider in a place that suffers from the same plights (and then some) as my own country. There has to be a trade-off for the quality of life I'm giving up back home, and also for living so far away from my family.

Though my time here has been interesting and the Thais I've encountered have been good people, they really don't behave like Buddhists in my opinion. In my experience, most are severely attached to material possessions, and seemingly place far more value in the superficial as opposed to the philosophical aspects of life. I don't think it's unfair to express my disappointment about this, given the ways Thais market themselves and the country to the world.

I understand we need to make our own peace in this world, and looking for it in different places and in other people will only lead one to disillusionment. I knew that before arriving here. Still, on a positive note, living in Thailand has provided me a whole new perspective from which to get to know myself and consider things.

• Like 2

I left Thailand after 1.5 years and didn't expect to think much of it. I went to Sweden. Now I realize how much I miss Thailand. There is more to do in Bangkok than stockholm and the fact that Thai's do have a culture is nice. I'm giving the rest of Europe a try but the idea of returning or spending 6 months or more every year in Thailand and a few in Europe seem great now. I like the laid back life and greater happiness of the average Joe in LOS. I'm okay with cold weather, I just prefer the carefree mentality of Thai's. Even if you don't live a carefree life and have responsibilities you can enjoy your spare time better. At least in northern Europe, we have so much wealth but no one seems happier because of it. Here the concern is how to squeeze more work out of people, not how to have a fulfilling lifestyle.

I'm living in Isaan, in the village, built the house & due a baby in 2 weeks or so. Get on v.well with all the relatives, they never try to ponce off me, we are a little bit older though, she's 43 & I'm 51 we have 2 younger kids from previous relationships, bin together for two years, love each other to bits, completely given me a whole new purpose in life after the shit one I was living in the UK... long may it last & if I was to start to die tomorrow I wouldn't regret it for a second... sry to get a bit slushy but that's how I feel...

In short... yes

• Like 2

Yes, Thailand is my home, I could not be happier any where else on earth, I have lived among residents of my village that I have gotten to greatly care for as valued family and friends.

Yes I am still treated different much as one other poster stated as the rock star treatment.

I have never been treated or felt like an outsider in the village, having found more acceptance by the Thai's then back in the states.

I plan on living my life out in Thailand, among my Thai extended family and many friends.

I found Thailand to truly being Amazing!

Cheers:wai2.gif

just jerking your chain blether. you dont really need thaivisa forum. you'd figure a way to survive without it if you needed to. lol

laugh.png I'm not that touchy you'll be pleased to hear.

Oh and it seems that I'm a useful idiot, well at least I've achieved something in life. smile.png

• Like 2

When it dawned on me that the schools here are not only poor but also utterly irrelevant on an international level, that was it.

I had put off all the inconvenience of myself staying by believing that if I paid for private everything I was providing a better all around chance for my kids.

A bit delusional huh? Enough for new

Might come back to retire, but too many amazing paces l places remaining to go and see.

At 38 and 18 years in, I was too young to want to make it home. I should have moved on years ago.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

I would miss my best friend in the world, the sunshine, the low prices compared to Europe., the massages, the lovely young looking friendly people. I would not miss the horrendously dangerous stupid driving, always being the one expected to pay for everything and everybody and the hundreds of moaning Farangs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having children keeps me connected to thailand. If not, pleasant memories only. A better view on thailand came really when had kids. Should have followed my gut feeling then. Did not. Thailand though has everything to be a perfect country to live in without having too many commitments. Its like a fatal attraction ! Or like a woman. Cant live with it, her, and cant live without it, her.

All has a purpose in life !

Well stated, I ditto that 100%.

This is not amazing Thailand, there are really nice Thais and really bad ones, the positive outweighs the negative, the food here is the best in the world for me and I have travelled. Myself love my gf of four years , could I bugger off and leave her ? Yes but have no desire to and do not expect I ever will, lived around the world and have informed my grown kids they will burn my bones here. Must say I have adequate funds to do pretty much what we want within reason so perhaps this helps a lot, no I know it does. the only thing that really pisses me off are the BIB and government corruption, I tell myself it's not my business. if I had to leave here suspect I would be suicidal after a few weeks?, I will stay.'

I left Thailand in July with my wife and 3 small children's back to US. Do I miss Thailand, NO.

Not to celebrate but leaving certainly reduced my blood pressure and health.

Would I return, most likely after the ASEAN integration to see if Thailand is any better and for

my growing kids to keep up their Thai language abilities.

Thailand is where my heart is - my brain is connected elsewhere.

I think you speak for a lot of people who don't even know it.

I have myself emotionally involved with Thailand and my head can not say why. It can't come up with any other country either. All though there are a lot of them it would love to see.

I didn't think I'd miss thailand during time spent in Taiwan, KL, Japan but I began to miss the people walking into me, the people stopping in front of me, blocking the sidewalk. Clear clean wide unobstructed sidewalks where humans can walk straight paths between point A and B. Miss having to move aside so a motorbike can pass. Miss the sidewalk shopping arcade and food vendors. Miss so very much the numerous people tying to cheat and scam me. Miss trying to use reason and logic to explain (in their native language) very basic principles to a high % that don't get it and dont seem to learn. Absolutely do not miss women telling me "handsome man" The food is very good but Thailand is/has never been first choice of places to live.

At least in northern Europe, we have so much wealth but no one seems happier because of it. Here the concern is how to squeeze more work out of people, not how to have a fulfilling lifestyle.

This was also my experience with Thai employers. Never, before or since, have I worked for organisations, in either the East or the West, which demanded so much while offering so very little in return. Frankly, I'd rather dine on powdered glass than ever work for a Thai again.

Many of us have quit everything in our home countries, and completely set up here in Thailand, lock, stock and barrel, and now it would not be simply a case of saying; I don`t wish to live in Thailand anymore, think I`ll move next week.

I think the question should be:: Does Thailand need us? Because in some cases Thailand can be of more benefit to expats than vice versa.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Its OK but I could leave anytime without airport tears. I live here because the pensions money I get from the UK is worth more,but not as much as it used to be.

Some Thai people claim that Thailand is a prosperous,rich country---so why are the Thai people so poor?

Also,the Thai girls are very beautiful,apart from their hard bodies, birth marks and clinical addiction to money.

If anyone wants a low cost,good place to live outside of Thailand and in Europe try..........(its a secret).............(wait for it)..............Berlin!

Its OK but I could leave anytime without airport tears. I live here because the pensions money I get from the UK is worth more,but not as much as it used to be.

Some Thai people claim that Thailand is a prosperous,rich country---so why are the Thai people so poor?

Also,the Thai girls are very beautiful,apart from their hard bodies, birth marks and clinical addiction to money.

If anyone wants a low cost,good place to live outside of Thailand and in Europe try..........(its a secret).............(wait for it)..............Berlin!

Berlin would be a great place if it wasn't for a minor detail: Germans...
  • Like 1

I stopped living in Thailand about 18 months ago. I have had withdrawal symptoms though and have made return trips for a month or two at a time since.

After a few weeks back there I end up asking myself "what are you doing here?"

My "quality of life" is so much better now that I am back on the Gold Coast Australia.

I will still do plenty of short trips to various parts of the world, but Home is the GC.

I could take it or leave it.

It would not bother me, but I'm not at the point where I would celebrate.

I'm not able to answer yet as I haven't been here long enough.

I've sold most of my possessions in the US and moved here with very little. No regrets for that. The material cleansing was good for me.

My plan was to live here because of the low cost of living and to travel all around. I'm seeing faster price increases than I'd like, when it stops being economical there's very little reason for me to stay.

I refrain for putting down roots or getting to financially involved because I just haven't gotten to the point of Thailand is for me.

I am constantly wondering about other countries. Belize, Spain...

The traffic and lack of EMS and the inept so called police farce here is a very real concern for me.

I'm one bad experience from moving someplace else.

But, I will try it for a year and evaluate it.

The corruption, littering, saving face, lack of real police and EMS, over fishing, lack of English speaking, left side driving and lack of any road rules or enforcement, etc will play into my decision to live here.

• Like 1

Based on prior circumstances, yes I could leave Thailand! To be totally objective, I was extremely naïve when I entered into the Kingdom of Thailand. I believed that the individual who was managing and translating for me was to be honorable. I didn't understand the commission involvement, and many other situations. There is no gratification for ignorance.

Luckily I became involved with a wonderful woman who is now my wife. We are extremely happy and grateful that we had met and became husband and wife. Basically, I have tried put away all the ill feelings towards Thailand and trying extremely hard to become optimistic. Thailand could be a diamond in the rough if handled properly. The books and research that I explored prior to my arrival were not actually accurate, so I made numerous mistakes. I do believe that one should not concentrate pessimistically but more so on the optimistic side, since I have met a lot of wonderful Thai people. Unfortunately, we must come to the realization of the fact that foreigners are not treated the same as the Thai's. This is a little advice for the newcomers of Thailand, be aware of confrontational incidences or while driving a car. You are in a no win situation!

“Would I be unhappy to leave my home?”, yes I think so. Thailand is not so much an amazing place for me, as a comfortable and familiar place.smile.png

Welcome to the REAL WORLD of the A_S_E_A_N!

Thailand definitely has the best overall (affordable) infra-structure, compared to other SE Asian nations. However, it is still Asia, with ALL the similar, "smoke & mirrors" nuances associated with Asian cultures. Thailand is no more than what YOU (and YOUR Western based bank account) make of it,...... including the "familiar" places. The only true familial lifestyles available to "farangs", are those brought to Thailand. The Russians understand that fundamental principle quite well.

Now, with all things of the foregoing considered, if you're looking for a real "stand-up", reliable and trustworthy friend (withinin Thai culture), then you are best-advised to: goto a petstore,.......buy a dog. Hence, the rest of your "farang" life in Thailand, will be a "walk-in-the-park". Cheers, mate smile.png

I stopped living in Thailand about 18 months ago. I have had withdrawal symptoms though and have made return trips for a month or two at a time since.

After a few weeks back there I end up asking myself "what are you doing here?"

My "quality of life" is so much better now that I am back on the Gold Coast Australia.

I will still do plenty of short trips to various parts of the world, but Home is the GC.

Luck you, and smart move? Wish I had the money to live in Ooze.

• Like 1

Your "welcome" is appreciated but it is about 36 years too late. Some of us have real lives and real friends, in addition to real pets.smile.png

“Would I be unhappy to leave my home?”, yes I think so. Thailand is not so much an amazing place for me, as a comfortable and familiar place.smile.png

Welcome to the REAL WORLD of the A_S_E_A_N!

Thailand definitely has the best overall (affordable) infra-structure, compared to other SE Asian nations. However, it is still Asia, with ALL the similar, "smoke & mirrors" nuances associated with Asian cultures. Thailand is no more than what YOU (and YOUR Western based bank account) make of it,...... including the "familiar" places. The only true familial lifestyles available to "farangs", are those brought to Thailand. The Russians understand that fundamental principle quite well.

Now, with all things of the foregoing considered, if you're looking for a real "stand-up", reliable and trustworthy friend (withinin Thai culture), then you are best-advised to: goto a petstore,.......buy a dog. Hence, the rest of your "farang" life in Thailand, will be a "walk-in-the-park". Cheers, mate smile.png