Bangkok governor warns of riverside flooding at Oct 15-17 high tide

Lite Beer

Bangkok governor warns of riverside flooding at Oct 15-17 high tide
By English News

13808677939043-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 4 - Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra today warned the capital's citizens to prepare for flooding at the middle of this month as upstream waters will flow into the Chao Phraya River at the same time as the high tide peaks.

The governor made his remarks as he inspected the water situation along the Chao Phraya River and Bangkok Noi canal. Nearly two hundred households in riverside communities outside the city's flood prevention dykes have been hit as the period of high tide is approaching, while the the level of water in the river has already risen from the flow of upstream water.

Mr Sukhumbhand said the construction of 86 kilometres of dykes along the Chao Phraya River is almost complete. Only a fraction of 700 metres is unfinished pending negotiation with the local residents and private companies who own the land there.

The governor said today's level of water in the river currently remains at 1.60 metres above mean sea level, which is still not too high, while the flow of upstream water released into the capital is at 2,300 cubic metres per second.

He said Bangkok can handle the water flow of up to 3,000 cubic metres per second.

However, the governor expressed concern for 850 households in 25 communities living outside the BMA dykes that they will be affected by high tide and the flow of upstream water between October 15-17. The Chao Phraya River level may reach two metres above sea level.

Officials in 11 at risk districts have been asked to prepare to provide help for residents. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-04

Obviously, it is NOT flooding. It is an intense high tide. Again, the politicians said it would be impossible to flood so it must be so. I'm sure Plod will weigh in soon with some sage scientific explanation, or maybe a request for everyone to sponsor full moon parties to assuage the evil spirits of high tides.

• Like 2

INUNDATION
Bangkok governor warns of riverside flooding this month

BANGKOK: -- Bangkokians on Friday were warned to prepare for flooding in the middle of this month when water from upstream flowing into the Chao Phraya River will coincide with high tides.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra gave the warning during an inspection of the water situation along the Chao Phraya River and Bangkok Noi canal.

Some 200 households in riverside communities outside the city's flood prevention dykes have been already been hit as the period of high tides approaches and river levels from upstream water flows increase.

Sukhumbhand said the construction of 86 kilometres of dykes along the Chao Phraya River is almost complete. Only 700 metres remain unfinished pending negotiation with local residents and private companies who own the land.

The governor said today’s level of water in the river stood at 1.60 metres above mean sea level, which is still not too high, while water from upstream being released into the capital is flowing at 2,300 cubic metres per second.

He said Bangkok can handle water flow of up to 3,000 cubic metres per second.

However, the governor expressed concern for 850 households in 25 communities living outside the BMA dykes, noting that they would be affected by high tide and the flow of upstream water between October 1517. The Chao Phraya River level may reach two metres above sea level.

Officials in 11 atrisk districts have been asked to prepare to provide help for residents.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-04

Like some budget sci fi movie,you fall asleep and the same horror,deja vu.

A sort of cross between Hans Brinker and Rip van rentalI hope the victims sue the pants of those who assued them water would flow uphill.

Rather than a fountain of wisdom the ewer from the sewer

• Like 1

Obviously, it is NOT flooding. It is an intense high tide. Again, the politicians said it would be impossible to flood so it must be so. I'm sure Plod will weigh in soon with some sage scientific explanation, or maybe a request for everyone to sponsor full moon parties to assuage the evil spirits of high tides.

Or possibly ex-idiot Barn-Harm. His 1 week will be well and truly expired by then.

• Like 1

The obvious question is "which districts?" I know some kind soul will have that information around here smile.png

-----EDIT-------

Just noticed I am not alone in asking this question.

Edited by draftvader

This from the man that said Bangkok wouldn't flood.

"Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said yesterday the situation in the capital is not a concern and ruled out the possibility of a flood crisis." 28/09/2013

That previous statement is now inoperative.

"Only 700 meters of the dyke is not finished"

And surprise, surprise, into that "small" hole is exacly where the water is going to flow, making all the finished kilometers of dyke a complete waste of money!sad.png

They had 2 years to get it done, and first now with the waters just outside the city, they are negotiating with the landowners!

Politicians in this country, no matter what color, is a disgrace!

2 years, with a total of B350 billion spent.

Politicians are a disgrace in most if not all countries.

And surprise, surprise, into that "small" hole is exacly where the water is going to flow, making all the finished kilometers of dyke a complete waste of money!sad.png

They had 2 years to get it done, and first now with the waters just outside the city, they are negotiating with the landowners!

I'm good at ham fisted rhetoric. I go for the throat every time, but now I want to change. I've been given some time to think about my comments by the very gracious patience of the mods here. I love this country and want to remember, and appreciate why I'm here to start with. Lets stop tearing it apart with rhetoric like I've posted and put our backs and shoulders into solving the problems regardless of our legal rights here. We can make a difference.

• Like 1

I'm good at ham fisted rhetoric. I go for the throat every time, but now I want to change. I've been given some time to think about my comments by the very gracious patience of the mods here. I love this country and want to remember, and appreciate why I'm here to start with. Lets stop tearing it apart with rhetoric like I've posted and put our backs and shoulders into solving the problems regardless of our legal rights here. We can make a difference.

They definitely do not want any help from us to solve their problems.....

How many sandbags are you going to going to carry to that 700 meter breach of the flood wall to save Bangkok from flooding?

Sure they do, just make sure that they get the credit. It's really as easy as that.

• Like 1

Sure they do, just make sure that they get the credit. It's really as easy as that.

Oh local. Stereotypes like that washed off ages ago