Retirement Visa Process - Simple Steps Please....

You must first convert to non immigrant visa 90 day entry showing financials (you could call that a retirement visa).  This can be done a Bangkok of most major immigration offices with 15 days or more remaining on current entry and fee of 2,000 baht.  The next step would be a one year extension from that visa entry using normal TM7 and paying fee of 1,900 baht and meeting financial seasoning requirements if applicable.  

Thanks for the speedy reply on a Sunday evening :)

What forms, fees and supporting papers are neede to convert from  a 30day permit to enter stamp to a non-O?

Having done that step, what forms, fees and supporting papers are needed to get the extension on the non-O?  How do I get the re-entries (maybe 2 per year)?

Thank you :)

For the conversion to a non immigrant visa entry you would fill out a TM87 visa application form. Download here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

To prove income of 65K baht you will need a income letter from your embassy

Copies of your passport photo page, entry/permitted to stay stamp and your TM6 departure card. Proof of address (rental contract, receipt for apartment and etc.).

You would do the extension 60 to 90 days after you apply for visa.

Fill out a TM7 application form and attach photo.

You will need the same documents as visa application plus copy of visa and new entry stamp.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must first convert to non immigrant visa 90 day entry showing financials (you could call that a retirement visa). This can be done a Bangkok of most major immigration offices with 15 days or more remaining on current entry and fee of 2,000 baht. The next step would be a one year extension from that visa entry using normal TM7 and paying fee of 1,900 baht and meeting financial seasoning requirements if applicable.

Thanks for the speedy reply on a Sunday evening smile.png

What forms, fees and supporting papers are neede to convert from a 30day permit to enter stamp to a non-O?

Having done that step, what forms, fees and supporting papers are needed to get the extension on the non-O? How do I get the re-entries (maybe 2 per year)?

Thank you smile.png

For the conversion to a non immigrant visa entry you would fill out a TM87 visa application form. Download here: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=download

To prove income of 65K baht you will need a income letter from your embassy

Copies of your passport photo page, entry/permitted to stay stamp and your TM6 departure card. Proof of address (rental contract, receipt for apartment and etc.).

You would do the extension 60 to 90 days after you apply for visa.

Fill out a TM7 application form and attach photo.

You will need the same documents as visa application plus copy of visa and new entry stamp.

Many thanks for the details. Just a couple more questions. ;)

Can I have the initial O visa with single or multiple (re-)entries, and same for the extension when I get it? What forms, fees and other papers are needed?

Sorry forgot info abut getting a re-entry permit when you apply for the extension.

You can get a single re-entry permit for 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 baht.

You fill out a TM8 form and attach photo. Same passport copies plus your extension of stay stamp. And also TM6 copy.

If you wanted to travel during the 90 day entry you will get from the visa you could get a re-entry permit for that entry.

Sorry forgot info abut getting a re-entry permit when you apply for the extension.

You can get a single re-entry permit for 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 baht.

You fill out a TM8 form and attach photo. Same passport copies plus your extension of stay stamp. And also TM6 copy.

If you wanted to travel during the 90 day entry you will get from the visa you could get a re-entry permit for that entry.

Many thanks smile.png Excellent information. smile.png

I presume that I can get a single re-entry at the same time as I get the extension? It'd save another trip to the immigration office.

On the same idea -- I believe I can do 90-day reporting by post, but what happens if I change my address during one of the 90-day periods ? Is that TM 28 ?

Edited by jpinx

Getting a single re-entry when you do the extension is not a problem.

If change address you can just put new address on 90 day report unless you move out of the immigration offices jurisdiction.

Okay -- but I was considering a move out a lot further - almost certainly into another immigratios office's area. Do I have to do the first 90-day report there in person ?

If your 90 day report is due use the TM47. In person it is 15 days before or 7 days after. You could go in early and use a TM28 and find out their mail in 90 day report procedures and address for them. Some offices do not allow mail in reports.

If your 90 day report is due use the TM47. In person it is 15 days before or 7 days after. You could go in early and use a TM28 and find out their mail in 90 day report procedures and address for them. Some offices do not allow mail in reports.

ok - thanks -- I'll check with the office when I get the extension going.

Hope this thread helps a few others :)

• 2 weeks later...

Further notes on my newly issued visa based on retirement, using the income method.

I presented my passport, TM8 departurecard, TM87 visa application form with photo glued on, letter from my embassy saying what my total income is in Baht per month, copies of my apartment rental, copies of most recent 3 months rent receipts and the visa application fee.

The immigration officers were friendly and helpful and the only extra paper they wanted to see was the original letter from the government who awarded me my state pension. I think they use this as a proof of retirement-status. I didn't have copies so I had to scuttle out and get those done. Lots of fanny-ing around and joking while he found the right stamps to put in my passport -- they mustn't get many retirees where I am. Lots of helpful instructions to me on how to get my extension and re-entry permits. They really did make an effort in spite of the office being over-run by Burmese and other workers.

FWIW -- My situation is strange in that my passport is country A, my state pension is from country B, and my investment income is from country C. Country A embassy needed original bank statements, pension award certificates, investment certificates, and a letter from me asking for them to write to Thai immigration and explain my income. I made a summary sheet of the income showing very clearly where it came from and how it was calculated and what exchange rates were used and what the total per month is. This is crucial as that is the figure the immigration want to see -- in Bhat per month. Thai immigration did note that my income sources are from countries other than my passport country but they were relaxed because the embassy letter was clear and concise. My embassy also needed copies of my apartment rental agreement.

I will go back in a couple of months and get the extension done and report again -- if I can find this thread again ;)

converted to non-o or a non-oa??

Non O Visa. You then apply for a 12 month extension.

A Non O-A Visa can only be obtained in your own Country

I can see the source of Aydaydee's confusion, as he earlier referenced this site: http://www.thai-visa.net/retirement-visa-for-thailand.html

Which has the following:

The Thailand retirement visa can be obtained in two ways. This is through visa conversion or filing a formal application at the nearest Thai embassy or consulate. Depending on one’s situation and preference, applicants may choose which of the two options can specifically address their needs.

• Visa conversion – As the term “conversion” connotes, it is the process of shifting into a new visa to serve yet another purpose. Under this option, a potential retiree initially applies for a Non-immigrant category O visa. Upon entering Thailand, holders of this visa type may change it to O-A category under Retirement in order to facilitate long-term stay in the country. Oftentimes, many tend to misunderstand this process as applying for a new visa inside Thailand. However, this is not what occurs in this situation. Visas, for whatever purpose they serve, are applied outside the receiving country and conversion is way too different from that.

The one-year permission of stay emanates from the Non Imm O visa, which has either been obtained abroad -- or obtained via conversion in the Immigration office from one's visa exempt entry, or from one's tourist visa. At no time does the process involve a conversion to a Non Imm O-A visa.

converted to non-o or a non-oa??

Non O Visa. You then apply for a 12 month extension.

A Non O-A Visa can only be obtained in your own Country

I can see the source of Aydaydee's confusion, as he earlier referenced this site: http://www.thai-visa.net/retirement-visa-for-thailand.html

Which has the following:

The Thailand retirement visa can be obtained in two ways. This is through visa conversion or filing a formal application at the nearest Thai embassy or consulate. Depending on one’s situation and preference, applicants may choose which of the two options can specifically address their needs.

• Visa conversion – As the term “conversion” connotes, it is the process of shifting into a new visa to serve yet another purpose. Under this option, a potential retiree initially applies for a Non-immigrant category O visa. Upon entering Thailand, holders of this visa type may change it to O-A category under Retirement in order to facilitate long-term stay in the country. Oftentimes, many tend to misunderstand this process as applying for a new visa inside Thailand. However, this is not what occurs in this situation. Visas, for whatever purpose they serve, are applied outside the receiving country and conversion is way too different from that.

The one-year permission of stay emanates from the Non Imm O visa, which has either been obtained abroad -- or obtained via conversion in the Immigration office from one's visa exempt entry, or from one's tourist visa. At no time does the process involve a conversion to a Non Imm O-A visa.

There is a shocking amount of mis-information published online by apparantly reputable ogranisations. The process is explained in the Thai government immigration website, but it can easily be misunderstood if read casually. http://www.immigration.go.th If you read an "agents" website you leave yourself open to the mistakes they make and the bias they have towards making money.

Basically you have to arrive in Thailand with any form of visa or permission to stay. In Thailand you can change the visa/permission you already have in your passport, if you can demonstrate your reason for wanting to change.

Edited by jpinx

My O-A visa it had a "Date of Issue" and a "Enter Before" date giving me one year to enter Thailand. Upon entering Thailand I received a stamp allowing me a one-year stay. Had to do the 90-day notification of residence at a local immigration office during that year.

Good thread, thanks for all this info.

I'm planning soon enough too and think I'd apply for the O-A visa in Australia. By the above comment, I guess with this visa you don't have to report every 90 days, only the once?

A few days prior to the "Enter Before" date, I took a quick trip to a border crossing, exited Thailand and then entered back into Thailand. I got another stamp for one-year stay. So getting the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) from your home country will allow you (almost) two years in Thailand. Reminder: If you exit Thailand after your "Enter Before" date, you must get a "Re-Entry permit" before leaving to maintain your visa's validity.

Why are you given another 1 year when you cross a border? Do you need to report ever 90 days this second year?

I suppose when the 2 years is up, you may ether go back home and get another O-A visa and do the above thing again or stay in Thailand and apply for an extension by moving money into a Thai bank?

Even with the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay), you still have to do the "90-day Reports". Basically, with those you are telling Thai Immigration where you are staying.

"Why are you given another 1 year when you cross a border?"

For each entry under your O-A visa, you get a one year stamp. For an example.

Let's say you are in your home country. You apply for and then receive your Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) visa. Your O-A visa will have a "Date of Issue" and a "Enter Before" date. Your O-A visa has a:

"Date of Issue" of 22 October 2013

"Enter Before" date of 21 October 2014.

That is the "validity" of your O-A visa.

You fly to Thailand and enter on 1 November 2013. Thai Immigration will give you a stamp in your passport allowing you to stay in Thailand for one year (31 OCT 2014). Then you live your retired life in Thailand, let's say in Chiang Mai.

On 18 October 2014 (a few days prior to your visa's "Enter Before" date), you take a trip up to the border at Mae Sai. You cross the border into Burma. You receive a stamp showing you exited Thailand. Have a cup of coffee, walk around the market for thirty minutes, OK. Then you turn around enter Thailand. Your O-A visa is still valid. Upon entering Thailand, Thai Immigration will give you another stamp allowing you to stay in Thailand for one year. That is one year from your date of entry, 18 October 2014. You now can stay in Thailand until 17 October 2015!

So, to recap; That one O-A Visa has allowed you to effectively stay in Thailand from 1 November 2013 to 17 October 2015. Almost two years.

Hopefully, this helps make it clearer and does not confuse people even more. smile.png

----------------------------------

And yes, you are correct. "I suppose when the 2 years is up, you may ether go back home and get another O-A visa and do the above thing again or stay in Thailand and apply for an extension by moving money into a Thai bank?

Hi Baloo22

As already mentioned by the OP, your simple and easily understood explanation, (as above), was fantastic and answered all of my questions too... That was until I re-read the Visa requirements and Guidence document from the UK Consul web site...( pdf doc called, aba Visa Application Pack, on site,

http://www.thaiconsu...-and-visas.aspx).

I have probably totally misunderstood somewhere along the line but just to take up a couple of points please and maybe you can help again...?

You write in your post...

You fly to Thailand and enter on 1 November 2013. Thai Immigration will give you a stamp in your passport allowing you to stay in Thailand for one year (31 OCT 2014). Then you live your retired life in Thailand

But in the pdf doc mentioned above,(which I am unable to copy and paste from) it says...

That, "On first arrival, you will only obtain a 90 day stay allowance??

As I say, I have prob misread the doc, either that or the rules for US and UK citizens differ?

Please could you advise...

Kind regardspdf.gif.pagespeed.ce.EnXGTaOp3M.gif Aba Visa Application Pack 28.10.13.pdf 400.46KB 1 downloads

Aba Visa Application Pack 28.10.13.pdf

As already mentioned by the OP, your simple and easily understood explanation, (as above), was fantastic and answered all of my questions too... That was until I re-read the Visa requirements and Guidence document from the UK Consul web site...( pdf doc called, aba Visa Application Pack, on site,

http://www.thaiconsu...-and-visas.aspx).

You're reading the data from Hull Consulate. They're full of misinformation. See this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/679414-non-immigrant-o-a-visa-obtainable-where/

@ Airblade550

Here is the webpage from the Royal Thai Embassy in London for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay)

I recommend that you deal with the Thai Embassy in London. Unless things are different in the UK, you don't have to deal with a consulate.

I'm a U.S. citizen. Before I applied for, first, a multi-entry tourist visa, and then later a Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa, I had read numerous accounts of Thai Consulates in the US giving out wrong info and changing rules on their own, etc, etc. Therefore, I submitted my applications and dealt only with the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. No problems with them!. I have and will continue to make it a point to deal directly with the Thai Embassy in D.C. instead of any consulate.

When you have your Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa it will have an "DATE OF ISSUE" and an "ENTER BEFORE" date. That time period is the validity period of your visa. In other words, the time period in which you can use that visa to enter Thailand. Upon entering Thailand, Thai Immigration staff will stamp your passport with a stamp good for you to stay in Thailand for one year.

Your Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa should also have a "NO. of ENTRY" with an "M" for multiple. That mean that during the validity period of your visa you can leave and then reenter Thailand multiple times. Each time you enter Thailand under that Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa you will get another stamp in your passport good for one year. During the validity period of your visa, you DO NOT need a Re-Entry Permit from Thai Immigration.

So, if you time your last entry into Thailand to just a few days or a week prior to your "ENTER BEFORE" date, (let's say you enter on 16 October 2014) you will receive another stamp allowing you to stay in Thailand for one year from the date of that stamp. You would be able to stay in Thailand until 15 October 2015. So you can get almost two years stay in Thailand off of that one Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa

Note: If you leave Thailand and will re-enter Thailand after your "ENTER BEFORE" date (AFTER the validity period of your visa); You must get a Re-Entry Permit from Thai Immigration to preserve your one-year stamp upon re-entry into Thailand.

You can't get an OA at a honorary consulate. The three official consulates in US should be the same as embassy.

There are only honorary consulates in the UK.

Most of the discussion on here is about non-o multiple (and single entry) entry visas for retirement that the embassies and official consulates will not issue.

Edited by ubonjoe