Retirement Visa Process - Simple Steps Please....

Hi,

I have been reading through this forum and seem to be more confused that when I started. I think maybe because so many of the posts apply to 'exceptions' rather than the 'rule'. i.e. This went wrong, what should I do.

So my apologies for asking this really basic question. maybe it is already explained elsewhere, but I could not track it down.

1. I plan to retire in Thailand sometime in the next 5 years. Perhaps as early as 1 year.
  2. I am married to a Thai. Have been for 12 years.
  3. I am 57 my wife is 45.
  4. I am dual British/Australian.
  5. My wife is dual Thai/Australian.
  6. Marriage certificate is Australian. Marriage in Thailand was just an 'at home' event, and not registered.
  7. We both live in Australia.
  8. We have just bought a condo in Bangkok, to be in joint names. Can just be in my wife's name as another option if required. (not complete/transferred yet)
  9. I have a small pension income from UK, about 50,000 baht / month.
  10. I can manage the 400,000k baht bank balance. Or more if required.
  11. We will maintain a house in Sydney for a few years at least, till we are sure where we want to finally settle. Plan is a few months a year in Thailand to start. As I wind down my work life.
  12. Own my own business, so could jump ship anytime really. Though income would stop, so part time is preferred.
  13. To keep myself sane, I might continue to work part time, but this would all be done online, for my business in Australia. i.e. I have an online training business amongst other interests. I would be paid for that work in Australia. No work actually in Thailand.

So my question is this. Am I right that a retirement visa would be my best option?

Then, what are the steps that I need to take to apply for one? Can I do this in Australia? Could I actually get the visa whilst still living between both places, or must I wait till I live in Thailand 'full time'.

If someone could explain the process step by step or point me to a page that lays it out I would be most grateful.

Robo

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the Thai Embassy web site for Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A) as that would likely be your best start and all done in Oz and multi entry could cover almost two years before having to either get another or extending for retirement inside Thailand (needing some bank amount here to make the 50k equal 65k for retirement requirement. As you have the funds and do not envision working inside Thailand with a work permit available retirement would be easier than Thai wife extensions (which would also require registration of your marriage paperwork here).

• Like 1

No work actually in Thailand? If you're here and you're working online, you're in Thailand so you'll need the necessary documents like a work permit. It really doesn't matter on which site you're working. You're working from a location in Thailand.

No work actually in Thailand? If you're here and you're working online, you're in Thailand so you'll need the necessary documents like a work permit. It really doesn't matter on which site you're working. You're working from a location in Thailand.

It is not as if the Thai government is persuing online workers for work permits. And you can't get a work permit and have a retirement visa. You're right, but I think few expats would handle it the way you suggest. I don't.

One post of quote from non official web site of information for extensions presented as information for retirement visa removed. Embassy retirement does not require any funds in Thailand and is obtained from home country Thai Embassy.

800,000 in a bank account in Thailand => 1 year retirement visa. Easy. The marriage route requires 400,000 but much more paperwork.

If you are just planning a few months each year, then a tourist visa from Aussieland is the way to go.

Don't worry about the work permit and all that. You are on holiday and who cares if you spend an hour or two online? Just don't go boasting about it big time, as it rattles a few cages. That "nice guy" you met in the bar may not be such a "nice guy".

Enjoy your retirement.

You forgot the income and combination options.

Marriage 400K in the bank for 60 days or income of 40K baht proven by letter from embassy.

Retirement 800K baht in bank for 60 days (90 days next extension) or income of 65K baht or a combination of the two totalling 800k baht.

No need to get a tourist visa for short stays. Just be here for when is extension is due.

I heartily recommend the Thailand Longstay Company for handling your retirement visa paperwork. They are a government-owned entity and extremely serious and efficient. They will get you the retirement visa without any hassle or bureaucratic problems, all from the comfort of your home. They pick up your passport and bring it back. They pick you up at the airplane and fast-track you through immigration. They get you a Thai driver's license, etc. etc. I am totally satisfied with their services. Their modest fees are well-deserved.

www.thailongstay.co.th

"They are a government-owned entity and extremely serious and efficient."

They are not government owned.

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, they aren't.

OP, getting an extension of a Non Immigrant O Visa for the purpose of retirement is one of the easier extensions to do.

1900 baht for a 1 year extension at immigration.

Get a Non O multiple entry visa at a consulate before you come here.

That will give you as many entries in as a year as you want - each for 90 days. Enter the country a day or so before the actual visa expires, gives you another 90 days, for almost 15 months total.

Or get the Non Imm O-A Visa mentioned above. If you get a single entry, it will be good for 1 year. No paperwork for the visa extension due here until after the visa - expires. A multiple entry Non O-A will give you unlimited entries during the first year, each time getting 1 year when you re-enter. Re-enter just prior to the actual visa expiring will give you another year, for a total time of almost 2 years. A re-entry permit would be required the second year to maintain your permission to stay date.

Either of these can easily be extended at an immigration office here for 1900 baht.

That along with the other posts should give you enough info to get you started.

1. Go to your nearest Thai consulate and get a multiple entry "O" visa.
  2. When you get to Thailand go to your area immigration office with the correct documents (passport, pictures, letter from bank etc.) and fill out the form for a retirement visa.
  3. Pay 1900 Baht and report to them every 90 days.

Money (800,000 baht) needs to be in the bank at least two months before you apply. Don't go for the marriage one. You will need a marriage certificate and photo's of you and your wife in your house, then you must wait until an inspector comes to your house to verify. You will still have to report every 90 days.

Better to stick with the retirement visa it's a lot less hassle and your 800,000 baht can be making some interest for you in a good deposit account.

"They are a government-owned entity and extremely serious and efficient."

They are not government owned.

It doesn't matter how you try to spin it, they aren't.

OP, getting an extension of a Non Immigrant O Visa for the purpose of retirement is one of the easier extensions to do.

1900 baht for a 1 year extension at immigration.

Get a Non O multiple entry visa at a consulate before you come here.

That will give you as many entries in as a year as you want - each for 90 days. Enter the country a day or so before the actual visa expires, gives you another 90 days, for almost 15 months total.

Or get the Non Imm O-A Visa mentioned above. If you get a single entry, it will be good for 1 year. No paperwork for the visa extension due here until after the visa - expires. A multiple entry Non O-A will give you unlimited entries during the first year, each time getting 1 year when you re-enter. Re-enter just prior to the actual visa expiring will give you another year, for a total time of almost 2 years. A re-entry permit would be required the second year to maintain your permission to stay date.

Either of these can easily be extended at an immigration office here for 1900 baht.

That along with the other posts should give you enough info to get you started.

About Us

The Thailand Longstay Company registered as the Thailand Longstay Management Co., Ltd was

established in 2001 with the endorsement of the Thai Royal Government to support long stay tourism.

Moreover, the Tourism Authority of Thailand is a major shareholder of the company. As a result, we aim

to provide the best services to retired expatriates to promote the tourism industry of the Kingdom of

Thailand.

Since its establishment, the company has signed many MOU with many government organizations

such as the Immigration Bureau, Tourist Police, and the Airports of Thailand.

Therefore, we specialize in doing a 1-year retirement visa for expatriates and other matters related to

the immigration procedure of Thailand. We offer the most convenient way in gaining a 1-year retirement

visa. Members of the Thailand Longstay do not need to go through the bureaucratic procedure by

themselves because the company will process the entire immigration procedure for our members. This

is the ultimate convenience that we provide.

As you are only thinking of staying here for a few months at a time then at the moment the best for you would be a multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa issued in you home country.( if possible) this would last for one year and give you 90 days permission to stay stamps each visit, ( you would have to do a border run after 90 days if you are still in Thailand, or do a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife at local immigration office, a 90day address report would also be required) this could be used up to the day before the 'visa' finish/expire date.

this could be extended at any time that you wanted to stay here for longer periods

Scaremonging. Whatever one does with a computer in his/her Thai home, is always "play and read news". Keeping that in mind one will never have any problem.

I think the OP will now be more confused than before.

Let's simplify it. Get a retirement visa.

Exactly true. Simplify your life and get a retirement visa. All that is needed is 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months.

I highly recommend the services of a company called Thailand Longstay Company which has extremely good connections with the Thai government, since its major shareholder is none other than the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

They will take care of all your requirements in a highly efficient manner. You do not have to stand in line at government offices to get your visa, they will also handle your visa extensions every 3 months and your driver's license, etc. They will take care of all that, they will pamper you, pick up your passport at your home and bring it back to you. They will also fast-track you through immigration each and every time you arrive in Thailand.

All these services are offered for a very reasonably priced annual membership.

Some people here on TV do not seem to like that idea. Do they possibly have their own vested business interests to defend?

As you are only thinking of staying here for a few months at a time then at the moment the best for you would be a multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa issued in you home country.( if possible) this would last for one year and give you 90 days permission to stay stamps each visit, ( you would have to do a border run after 90 days if you are still in Thailand, or do a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife at local immigration office, a 90day address report would also be required) this could be used up to the day before the 'visa' finish/expire date.

this could be extended at any time that you wanted to stay here for longer periods

can you get 60 day extensions on Non-O visas?

Edited by AYJAYDEE

Some people here on TV do not seem to like that idea. Do they possibly have their own vested business interests to defend?

Bottom line is that the vast majority of retired expats can easily manage their visa/extension/reporting tasks without paying anyone for help. Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Bottom line is that the vast majority of retired expats can easily manage their visa/extension/reporting tasks without paying anyone for help. Cheers.

I agree with you. Any retired expats can manage their bureaucratic tasks without paying any Thai to help them with it. They can also do their own gardening and housecleaning, they can wash their car and do whatever they want to do without any local help. It is really up to them.

Personally I appreciate the fact that in Thailand, contrary to most of the countries we expats hails from, we can still hire friendly local people who are more than happy to do most of the chores for us for a very affordable fee. I don't like to deal with the bureaucracy and I am glad to have found somebody competent and eager to help with these frustrating tasks. My time is better spent doing more productive things.

• Like 2

Yes, retirement visa. Any work you're doing is off the radar. As long as you have an address here, I don't see what your issue is.

The procedure is well documented here.

No such thing as a "retirement visa" . The OP may want to get a non-immigrant visa extended on the basis of retirement, but he has to decide what type of non-immigrant visa to go for.

Yes, retirement visa. Any work you're doing is off the radar. As long as you have an address here, I don't see what your issue is.

No such thing as a "retirement visa" . The OP may want to get a non-immigrant visa extended on the basis of retirement, but he has to decide what type of non-immigrant visa to go for.

what do call an O-A?

what do you call an O-A?

Check the Thai Embassy web site for Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A) as that would likely be your best start and all done in Oz and multi entry could cover almost two years before having to either get another or extending for retirement inside Thailand (needing some bank amount here to make the 50k equal 65k for retirement requirement. As you have the funds and do not envision working inside Thailand with a work permit available retirement would be easier than Thai wife extensions (which would also require registration of your marriage paperwork here).

Lopburi3 is spot on! Here is the "Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A)" page from the Thai Embassy in Canberra. It details the requirements and required documents needed.

In 2011, I applied for and received my Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa. I'm from the USA so got mine from the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C.). I retrieved the requirements from the Embassy website for Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay). Put together the packet with all the required documents and FedEx'd it off to the Embassy with a FedEx pre-paid return envelope. Received my passport back in a little over two weeks with no problems at all. I would recommend that you include a note specifically asking for "multiple entry".
My O-A visa it had a "Date of Issue" and a "Enter Before" date giving me one year to enter Thailand. Upon entering Thailand I received a stamp allowing me a one-year stay. Had to do the 90-day notification of residence at a local immigration office during that year.
A few days prior to the "Enter Before" date, I took a quick trip to a border crossing, exited Thailand and then entered back into Thailand. I got another stamp for one-year stay. So getting the Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) from your home country will allow you (almost) two years in Thailand. Reminder: If you exit Thailand after your "Enter Before" date, you must get a "Re-Entry permit" before leaving to maintain your visa's validity.
Keep in mind people on this thread are talking about two different options:
One, a Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) is what Lopburi3 and myself are talking about. This is an actual visa that you obtain from a Thai Embassy or Consulate in your home country.
Two, a "Permission to stay for Retirement purposes" is what some others are talking about. This you obtain from an immigration office within Thailand.
You will find people that are partial to each. At the time, I compared the cost of each method and, for me, it worked out about the same. For me, I liked the O-A visa because I could get everything done before I traveled and I did not need to transfer a large amount of money into a Thai bank. But to each his own. Whatever way works for you.
  • Like 1

what do you call an O-A?

Thailand's Visa Information : Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

ref: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

The word "retirement" does not appear

Edited by jpinx

I have read every post so far (presently post 25 is the last one). Also I just read every word of the website of Thailand Longstay Company (TLC).

I have a few related questions:

Setting aside how easy it is to do get the visa myself ... and TLC's fees: Is TLC a reputable company? Do they actually provide you what they say they will? Is the plane-side pick-up and fast-track immigration provided each and every time and in a timely manner?

Are your answers based upon personal experience or from a personally-know reliable source?

Thanks

"Some people here on TV do not seem to like that idea. Do they possibly have their own vested business interests to defend?"

Bonefish it seems like you are the only one continuing to post about that.

Do you have a financial / personal interest in that company.

For an extension, that company has you get all of the documents finished yourself, then you call them to arrange to get the documents (and the money), so they can deliver it to an immigration office.

So, it looks to me like they are providing a kind of taxi service for the paperwork and someone to wait in line for you. Is that about right?

what do you call an O-A?

Thailand's Visa Information : Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay)

ref: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O-A%22-%28Long-Stay%29.html

The word "retirement" does not appear

Lol!!!