Retirement Visa Process - Simple Steps Please....

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the Thai Embassy web site for Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A) as that would likely be your best start and all done in Oz and multi entry could cover almost two years before having to either get another or extending for retirement inside Thailand (needing some bank amount here to make the 50k equal 65k for retirement requirement. As you have the funds and do not envision working inside Thailand with a work permit available retirement would be easier than Thai wife extensions (which would also require registration of your marriage paperwork here).

Lopburi3 is spot on! Here is the "Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A)" page from the Thai Embassy in Canberra. It details the requirements and required documents needed.

OK, dumb question. Checked out the link and looks fairly simple.

But..........does the 800,000 baht have to be in a Thai bank, or can it be in my bank here in Australia. I'll be applying in Australia.

1. Go to your nearest Thai consulate and get a multiple entry "O" visa. (In your home country)

When you get to Thailand open a bank account with 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.

Wait for two months. (your money needs to be in the bank for two months prior to visa application).

Go to your area immigration office with the correct documents (passport, pictures, letter from bank etc.) and fill out the form for a retirement visa.

Pay 1900 Baht and report to them every 90 days. The visa can be extended every year. (See 4 above)

Money (800,000 baht) needs to be in the bank at least two months before you apply. Don't go for the marriage one. You will need a marriage certificate and photo's of you and your wife in your house, then you must wait until an inspector comes to your house to verify. You will still have to report every 90 days.

Your area immigration office location depends on where you live. For example; I live near Buriram so my area office is in a place called Kap Choeng which is about 3-4 Km (inside Thailand) from the Cambodian border (Chom Chong).

Better to stick with the retirement visa it's a lot less hassle and your 800,000 baht can be making some interest for you in a good deposit account.

1. Go to your nearest Thai consulate and get a multiple entry "O" visa. (In your home country)
  2. When you get to Thailand open a bank account with 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.
  3. Wait for two months. (your money needs to be in the bank for two months prior to visa application).
  4. Go to your area immigration office with the correct documents (passport, pictures, letter from bank etc.) and fill out the form for a retirement visa.
  5. Pay 1900 Baht and report to them every 90 days. The visa can be extended every year. (See 4 above)

Money (800,000 baht) needs to be in the bank at least two months before you apply. Don't go for the marriage one. You will need a marriage certificate and photo's of you and your wife in your house, then you must wait until an inspector comes to your house to verify. You will still have to report every 90 days.

Your area immigration office location depends on where you live. For example; I live near Buriram so my area office is in a place called Kap Choeng which is about 3-4 Km (inside Thailand) from the Cambodian border (Chom Chong).

Better to stick with the retirement visa it's a lot less hassle and your 800,000 baht can be making some interest for you in a good deposit account.

is it a retirement visa or an extension of stay for retirement purposes?

2. When you get to Thailand open a bank account with 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank.
  3. Wait for two months. (your money needs to be in the bank for two months prior to visa application).
  4. Go to your area immigration office with the correct documents (passport, pictures, letter from bank etc.) and fill out the form for a retirement visa.
  5. Pay 1900 Baht and report to them every 90 days. The visa can be extended every year. (See 4 above)

is it a retirement visa or an extension of stay for retirement purposes?

ah, i see now. you convert the O to a O-A. and then it can be extendedd.

Its not an "O-A" conversion but simply an extension of stay for retirement purposes based on your original "O" entry visa. The word retirement is clearly stamped in your passport as part of the extension stamp.

The word "retirement" does not appear

Pedantic posting if I have ever seen one. Retirement is what it is, go teach English to Immigration if you don;t agree.

I have a Non-Immigrant O-A multiple entry visa.

I have never heard anyone refer to my visa as a 'retirement visa', so I always thought it was a ''Non-Immigrant'' visa......

Pedantic posting if I have ever seen one. Retirement is what it is, go teach English to Immigration if you don;t agree.

I have never heard anyone refer to my visa as a 'retirement visa', so I always thought it was a ''Non-Immigrant'' visa......

lots of people refer to a long stay O-A as a retirement visa. http://www.thai-visa.net/retirement-visa-for-thailand.html

You are quite right. The O-A visa is not a retirement visa but you do need to be over fifty to get it.

I took the liberty of including below definitions of the two visa types under discussion. It's drifting away from the original "simple" request.

For the purpose of retirement (Type “O-A”)

Qualifications of an applicant

1. A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. (on the date of submitting the application)

2. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act. B.E. 2522 .

3. Having the nationality of or the residence in the country where his/ her application is submitted.

4. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and the country of his/her nationality, or the country of his/her residence.

5. Not having prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535)

(Leprosy, Tuberculosis [T.B], Elephantiasis, Drug addiction, Alcoholism, 3nd step of syphilis)

For the purpose of visiting family (Type “O”)

- Along with the same documentation required for Tourist Visas (e.g. Actual passport, two passport-type photos, visa application, copy of 'picture page' of passport, copy of 'Green Card', bank statement, airline tickets, etc. - see "Tourist Visa Requirements") please include:

To visit as a spouse of a Thai nationality, Fiance and Fiancee are not included in this category.

- A copy of a valid and effective marriage certificate.

- A copy of Thai passport /or Thai I.D. of the spouse.

- A letter from the spouse verifying that the applicant and the spouse are still married and the purpose to visit Thailand.

To visit as an immediate family member of a Thai nationality

- Documents proving such relationship with the visa application e.g., Birth Certificate and Thai Passport/ Thai I.D. of the parents who are Thai.

To visit as a volunteer for an NGO (non-government organization) - NO mulitple-entry visas

- Signed letter on the organization's letterhead stating duration of stay, duties, etc. along with a copy of the organization's registration. Single-entry Non-Immigrant "O" visa will be issued for the purpose of volunteering only (no multiple-entry visas).

Thanks.

Now I have a question.

I always follow the same procedure now.

Get a multiple entry Non-Immigrant O-A visa, enter Thailand for some 8 months, and go back hone for 4 months.

Then re-enter Thailand one week before the expiration of my visa, so I get another 'one year' permission to stay stamp.

Then I go back home, and start fresh geting a new multiple entry Non-Immigrant O-A visa, for the 2 following years.

Now if an extension of stay for 'one year' does exist, could I get such an extension of stay just before I go back home at the end of my second year stay,

combine that with a 'Re-entry permit' , and re-enter for the third year stay.

This would require that the 're-entry permit' would be connected to the extension of stay based on retirement purposes.

Is that a possible option?

As you are only thinking of staying here for a few months at a time then at the moment the best for you would be a multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa issued in you home country.( if possible) this would last for one year and give you 90 days permission to stay stamps each visit, ( you would have to do a border run after 90 days if you are still in Thailand, or do a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife at local immigration office, a 90day address report would also be required) this could be used up to the day before the 'visa' finish/expire date.

this could be extended at any time that you wanted to stay here for longer periods

can you get 60 day extensions on Non-O visas?
If you are married to a Thai yes. Extension can also be done for visa exempt entries or tourist visas.

As you are only thinking of staying here for a few months at a time then at the moment the best for you would be a multi entry non immigrant 'o' visa issued in you home country.( if possible) this would last for one year and give you 90 days permission to stay stamps each visit, ( you would have to do a border run after 90 days if you are still in Thailand, or do a 60 day extension to visit Thai wife at local immigration office, a 90day address report would also be required) this could be used up to the day before the 'visa' finish/expire date.

this could be extended at any time that you wanted to stay here for longer periods

can you get 60 day extensions on Non-O visas?
If you are married to a Thai yes. Extension can also be done for visa exempt entries or tourist visas.

wow! that would allow me 150 days on a single entry non-o!! is a foreign marriage license enough? is a name change necessary??

Foreign marriage certificate is OK but it has to be in English or Thai.

Name change is not required for 1 year extension. But marriage has to be registered here. The law allows for a Thai to keep maiden name on ID card so immigration has to accept it. But there is really no reason not to change it.

Foreign marriage certificate is OK but it has to be in English or Thai.

Name change is not required for 1 year extension. But marriage has to be registered here. The law allows for a Thai to keep maiden name on ID card so immigration has to accept it. But there is really no reason not to change it.

dont need i year extension, just buy one single entry non-o every year and get one 60 day extension. that gives me 150 days a year which is enough. or do i have to register marriage for that too?

Poster asked if money could be in home country bank account for O-A visa and the answer is yes.

The Long Stay O-A visa is also known as a retirement visa as that is what it is normally issued for due to age requirements.

Poster asked if money could be in home country bank account for O-A visa and the answer is yes.

The Long Stay O-A visa is also known as a retirement visa as that is what it is normally issued for due to age requirements.

can it stay there once he applies for the extension??

For an extension, that company has you get all of the documents finished yourself, then you call them to arrange to get the documents (and the money), so they can deliver it to an immigration office.

So, it looks to me like they are providing a kind of taxi service for the paperwork and someone to wait in line for you. Is that about right?

They are also very helpful for people who can not write and who don't know nobody else who can.

Check the Thai Embassy web site for Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A) as that would likely be your best start and all done in Oz and multi entry could cover almost two years before having to either get another or extending for retirement inside Thailand (needing some bank amount here to make the 50k equal 65k for retirement requirement. As you have the funds and do not envision working inside Thailand with a work permit available retirement would be easier than Thai wife extensions (which would also require registration of your marriage paperwork here).

Lopburi3 is spot on! Here is the "Long Stay visa (non immigrant O-A)" page from the Thai Embassy in Canberra. It details the requirements and required documents needed.

But..........does the 800,000 baht have to be in a Thai bank, or can it be in my bank here in Australia. I'll be applying in Australia.

Not a dumb question at all!

If you apply for the Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa from the Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in your home country Australia, then the money does not have to be in Thailand. It can be in your bank in Australia. When I applied for and received my Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa, all my bank funds were in a U.S. bank. I have just re-checked (just in case there was a recent change) the websites for the Thai Embassies in Australia and the USA and neither specify that the funds must be in Thailand.

When other posters here are talking about requirements to have the bank funds in a Thai bank and those funds must be "seasoned" or have remained in that Thai bank for specific periods of time; They are talking about the second method to stay here in Thailand for one year/retirement. That is going to an immigration office here in Thailand and applying for a one-year Extension to Stay for the purposes of retirement. This is what people do when they are already in Thailand and it is an entirely different process.

If you apply for the Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa from the Thai Embassy or a Thai Consulate in your home country Australia, then the money does not have to be in Thailand. It can be in your bank in Australia. When I applied for and received my Non-Immigrant O-A (Long Stay) visa, all my bank funds were in a U.S. bank. I have just re-checked (just in case there was a recent change) the websites for the Thai Embassies in Australia and the USA and neither specify that the funds must be in Thailand.

When other posters here are talking about requirements to have the bank funds in a Thai bank and those funds must be "seasoned" or have remained in that Thai bank for specific periods of time; They are talking about the second method to stay here in Thailand for one year/retirement. That is going to an immigration office here in Thailand and applying for a one-year Extension to Stay for the purposes of retirement. This is what people do when they are already in Thailand and it is an entirely different process.

what happens when your O-A long stay runs out?

Many thanks. makes sense now.

So. That raises one last question.

Is it relevant / important that I am married to a Thai? For the Non Immigrant O-A, Long Stay. Only reason I ask, is that my wife is convinced she will pass away before me LOL.

God forbid. But if that happened, would I still be able to live in Thailand on the Non Immigrant O-A, Long Stay?

I heartily recommend the Thailand Longstay Company for handling your retirement visa paperwork. They are a government-owned entity and extremely serious and efficient. They will get you the retirement visa without any hassle or bureaucratic problems, all from the comfort of your home. They pick up your passport and bring it back. They pick you up at the airplane and fast-track you through immigration. They get you a Thai driver's license, etc. etc. I am totally satisfied with their services. Their modest fees are well-deserved.

www.thailongstay.co.th

No need to use an agent to do the work. I am now on my 9th extension of my original non-immigrant O visa on the grounds of retirement and have always done all the paperwork myself. I have never had a problem.

For the OP, obtaining a multiple entry non-Immigrant O visa (if it can be obtained) is one route. Alternatively, a tourist visa single/double?), which can be extended for 30 days and can then be extended on the basis of retirement is another option. The tourist visa first has to be converted to a non-immigrant O visa. As already stated, obtaining an extension on the grounds of retirement is easier than on the grounds of marriage. A combination of income and money in the bank can be used provided the funds have been in the account for a minimum of 2 months at the first application and 3 months at future extensions.

Alan

I heartily recommend the Thailand Longstay Company for handling your retirement visa paperwork. They are a government-owned entity and extremely serious and efficient. They will get you the retirement visa without any hassle or bureaucratic problems, all from the comfort of your home. They pick up your passport and bring it back. They pick you up at the airplane and fast-track you through immigration. They get you a Thai driver's license, etc. etc. I am totally satisfied with their services. Their modest fees are well-deserved.

www.thailongstay.co.th

No need to use an agent to do the work. I am now on my 9th extension of my original non-immigrant O visa on the grounds of retirement and have always done all the paperwork myself. I have never had a problem.

For the OP, obtaining a multiple entry non-Immigrant O visa (if it can be obtained) is one route. Alternatively, a tourist visa single/double?), which can be extended for 30 days and can then be extended on the basis of retirement is another option. The tourist visa first has to be converted to a non-immigrant O visa. As already stated, obtaining an extension on the grounds of retirement is easier than on the grounds of marriage. A combination of income and money in the bank can be used provided the funds have been in the account for a minimum of 2 months at the first application and 3 months at future extensions.

Alan

converted to non-o or a non-oa??