'Non-Immigrant O-A Visa Obtainable Where?'

Hello all. It would help a lot if the many Thai visa-related websites were consistent in their interpretation of the rules. Unless i'm wrong (again !)- isn't the information in this download from the HULL site incorrect ? The overall plan of action presented here for would-be retirees, is to get a police report in the UK; jump on a plane with a Non-Immigrant Cat 'O'; transfer the financials to a Thai bank if not already done; get a medical cert in Thailand; and head straight to an Immigration Office ('though they might ask you to return in 60 days!) with 3 copies of the relevant form in the hand to get an 'O-A Long Stay' visa. An 'O-A' visa obtainable in Thailand !? Unless i'm having too many late nights, this download reads all wrong to me, and in that case it is just another example of how bad and misleading the official sites can be. (Thank god for ThaiVisa) On the other hand, if an 'O-A' CAN be obtained inside LOS, i wouldn't be complaining - so i'd be happy to be told yes, i've got it wrong again. On the main Hull page it is Download 'Af' in the list on the left. Link ->

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

"Royal Thai Consulate.

Priory Court Saxon Way Hessle HULL HU13 9PB

Tel: 01482 581668 Fax: 01482 628877

Email: [email protected] Website: www.thaiconsul-uk.com

Information About Retiring in Thailand

THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ONLY FOR BRITISH NATIONALS LIVING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM

To be eligible to retire in Thailand you must:-

i) be aged 50 years or over.

ii) not be prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Thai Immigration Act BE 2522 (1979).

iii) not have a criminal record in your country of nationality or your country of residency or in Thailand. You need

to contact your local UK Police Force and request a Subject Access Report. Please be aware it can take up to 40 days for

it to be issued. Furthermore, please note the report must be submitted to the authorities in Thailand within three months of date of issue of the report.

iv) not have a medical record of any contagious diseases. You need to obtain a medical report from a hospital in

Thailand. It must not be more than three months old. It must state you have not been infected with any contagious disease in accordance with Thai Immigration Regulation No.14 BE 2535 (1992). The form on page 4/4 is for completion by a doctor in Thailand.

v) be able to support yourself financially. It is necessary to show an income into a Thai bank account of minimum

65,000 baht per month by way of a pension, Investments, etc or a minimum of 800,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand

or a mixture of the two..

vi) hold a passport with a minimum of 12 months validity at time of entering Thailand.

Provided you can meet the above requirements, the next process is to apply for a Non-Immigrant category O visa. Please visit the Visas & Downloads page our website (www.thaiconsul-uk.com) and print the document entitled

Aba Visa Application Pack.

When you have received your O visa you need to ensure you have all of the following documents which you must

take with you for presentation at the Thai Immigration Bureau in Bangkok (Thai Immigration Bureau, Section 1,

Sub Division 1, Soi Suan Plu, off South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120 - tel: 00 66-22873101-10

Extension 2236) or in the town close to where you will be living in your retirement:-

1) Passport containing your O visa, passport to be valid for at least one year from date of entering Thailand.

2) Three Additional Application Form for Non-Immigrant O-A Visa duly completed and with recent passport

type photograph 4cm x 6cm attached to each one see page 3/4.

3) Subject Access (police) Report to be no more than 3 months old when presented in Thailand.

4) Medical Report form to be completed by a doctor in Thailand see page 4/4.

5) Evidence to show minimum income of 65,000 baht per month going into a bank account in Thailand or minimum 800,000 baht deposited in a bank account in Thailand (a combination may be accepted).

We advise applicants to visit the Thai Immigration Bureau at the earliest opportunity although

you may be asked to return after having been in Thailand for 60 days

Af 21.09.11

If your application is approved you will be issued with the non-immigrant category O-A

long stay visa by the relevant Thai Immigration Bureau."

Edited by crazydrummerpauly

An O-A visa can only be obtained at the embassy of your country.

The O-A visa requires a police report and medical certificate and gives one year permission of stay each entry.

An O visa can be obtained at any consulate and does not require a police report and medical certificate.

The O visa gives you 90 days permission of stay per entry.

Both visas can be extended at Immigrations in Thailand without a police report and medical certificate for 1 year at the time of you meet the financial requirements and are over 50 years old.

This called extension of stay based on retirement.

• Like 2

Yes, I think they are wrong, you get the "O-A" in your home country generally, if you come to Thailand with an "O", you apply for a one year extension of stay, that is not a visa.

Even if you show up with only a tourist visa or visa on arrival, you can, by three steps, get your one year extension of stay. You don't need to come to Thailand with an O. You can convert the tourist visa or visa on arrival to a non-immigrant O in Thailand. You make your 800k deposit asap after you get your O. I don't know if the 800k needs to season 60 days this way, (I don't think it has to) but I would get an extension and let it, or ask. Now that you have your 800k and your O, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay in Thailand. You must have at least 15 days left, but not more than 30 on your O visa to apply.

If you use the income method and a letter from your embassy, be prepared to prove it with at least 3 months bank statements.

I don't know why people let their own countries hassle them with their own rules, when it is only the Thai rules that really matter.

1. Get a visa on arrival, and deposit 800k or have income letter and proof. 2. ASAP convert it to a single entry non-immigrant O at immigration in Thailand using form TM86. If a bank wouldn't accept the deposit on the visa on arrival, they should on the O. 3. Your O is good for 90 days. 4. After the money has seasoned 60 days (I don't think it needs to in this case but ask,) apply in Thailand for the 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. Just watch your timing as mentioned above.

Again, when you first get your O, it will be stamped in your passport and also stamped "used." It is good for 90 days. So you have to wait 60 days anyway until not more than 30 days but more than 15 days is left on the O to apply for the 1 year extension.

BTW, a visa on arrival isn't a visa. It is visa exempt. A visa is something you get in your home country. So if you have visa on arrival, you need to get your fanny to immigration and convert to the non-immigrant O.

Three trips to immigration and if all of your paperwork is in order, you're in.

You also avoid a lot of the paperwork such as background check and medical if you do it all in Thailand. You can get everything they want in Thailand - it will just be less and different.

Yes you can. :)

• Like 1

Yes, I think they are wrong, you get the "O-A" in your home country generally, if you come to Thailand with an "O", you apply for a one year extension of stay, that is not a visa.

Even if you show up with only a tourist visa or visa on arrival, you can, by three steps, get your one year extension of stay. You don't need to come to Thailand with an O. You can convert the tourist visa or visa on arrival to a non-immigrant O in Thailand. You make your 800k deposit asap after you get your O. I don't know if the 800k needs to season 60 days this way, (I don't think it has to) but I would get an extension and let it, or ask. Now that you have your 800k and your O, you can apply for a 1 year extension of stay in Thailand. You must have at least 15 days left, but not more than 30 on your O visa to apply.

If you use the income method and a letter from your embassy, be prepared to prove it with at least 3 months bank statements.

I don't know why people let their own countries hassle them with their own rules, when it is only the Thai rules that really matter.

1. Get a visa on arrival, and deposit 800k or have income letter and proof. 2. ASAP convert it to a single entry non-immigrant O at immigration in Thailand using form TM86. If a bank wouldn't accept the deposit on the visa on arrival, they should on the O. 3. Your O is good for 90 days. 4. After the money has seasoned 60 days (I don't think it needs to in this case but ask,) apply in Thailand for the 1 year extension of stay based on retirement. Just watch your timing as mentioned above.

Again, when you first get your O, it will be stamped in your passport and also stamped "used." It is good for 90 days. So you have to wait 60 days anyway until not more than 30 days but more than 15 days is left on the O to apply for the 1 year extension.

BTW, a visa on arrival isn't a visa. It is visa exempt. A visa is something you get in your home country. So if you have visa on arrival, you need to get your fanny to immigration and convert to the non-immigrant O.

You also avoid a lot of the paperwork such as background check and medical if you do it all in Thailand. You can get everything they want in Thailand - it will just be less and different.

Yes you can. smile.png

Thanks, I'm well aware of all of that, but I don't think that would be answering the op's question. The problem is many Consulates aren't as knowledgible as they should be, or just simply don't give good advice. Anyway, the process is easy enough, no matter how one approaches it.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone - ThaiVisa rules! I just get in a bad mood at the thought that some unsuspecting ex-pat might actually believe every word of the guidance sitting in the official gvt websites and ACT ON IT in good faith, only to find themselves high-and-dry and a couple of thousand pounds lighter. Even after some years reading them, i remain stunned by how bad some of the gvt sites are - and would they correct their errors if i pointed them out ? Mmmmm...

Yes you can. smile.png

Really helpful post, Thanks. Regarding your "I don't know why people let their own countries hassle them with their own rules, when it is only the Thai rules that really matter" - i get your point. But the reason people believe the content i dragged out of the Hull website, is that as far as any reader will assume, it IS coming from Thailand, in that it is on The Royal Thai Consulate's government-supported website. The Consulate is representing its country and its country's policies ? (not the UK's.)

Really helpful post, Thanks. Regarding your "I don't know why people let their own countries hassle them with their own rules, when it is only the Thai rules that really matter" - i get your point. But the reason people believe the content i dragged out of the Hull website, is that as far as any reader will assume, it IS coming from Thailand, in that it is on The Royal Thai Consulate's government-supported website. The Consulate is representing its country and its country's policies ? (not the UK's.)

The Royal Thai Embassy Consular Faciity in London is the only consulate actually funded and run by the Thai Goverment.

The other UK Thai consulates, like Hull, function mostly as commercial businesses run by UK people with a mandate from the Thai Government to issue certain visas, not at all the same.

Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone - ThaiVisa rules! I just get in a bad mood at the thought that some unsuspecting ex-pat might actually believe every word of the guidance sitting in the official gvt websites and ACT ON IT in good faith, only to find themselves high-and-dry and a couple of thousand pounds lighter. Even after some years reading them, i remain stunned by how bad some of the gvt sites are - and would they correct their errors if i pointed them out ? Mmmmm...

I agree, and the information on the websites in different countries can so often be wrong. Also, why pay them a fee and put up with their hassle when you can arrive in Thailand on a visa on arrival and have 800k baht and your passport, and do it all in Thailand?

I did forget to mention that to get your one year extension changed to multi-entry, it costs almost 4,000 baht but that's well worth it if you're going to travel in and out of country at will.

• Like 1

A police report is required for an OA but not for an O so I do not see the Hull site as wrong. It is actually a statement of the Thai Government Policy.

Although a police certificate is not required for a retirement extension in Thailand there is still a requirement that you have no criminal record. If anything later turns up on their computer or otherwise you could find a bigger problem.

The Royal Thai Embassy Consular Faciity in London is the only consulate actually funded and run by the Thai Goverment.

The other UK Thai consulates, like Hull, function mostly as commercial businesses run by UK people with a mandate from the Thai Government to issue certain visas, not at all the same.

Only the Royal Thai Embassy Consular Faciity in London can Issue Non Immigrant Category 'OA' Visas to UK nationals.

if you meet the various criteriae then One Year Extensions of Permission to Stay can be granted on the basis of Retirement by your local Thai Immigration Dept when you are in Thailand, this is not an 'OA' Visa.

• Like 2

Thanks for that - i didn't know.

A police report is required for an OA but not for an O so I do not see the Hull site as wrong. It is actually a statement of the Thai Government Policy.

Although a police certificate is not required for a retirement extension in Thailand there is still a requirement that you have no criminal record. If anything later turns up on their computer or otherwise you could find a bigger problem.

Sorry, but the Hull site IS WRONG - see all 'expert' posts above - it clearly states that an 'O-A' will be obtained INSIDE Thailand after landing with all the required papers and the cash in a Thai bank - this part is plain wrong, even if they get some other details right.

Edited by crazydrummerpauly
  • Like 1

Yes you can. smile.png

"1. Get a visa on arrival, and deposit 800k or have income letter and proof...."

Visa on Arrival is not available to British citizens. It would be a visa exempt entry.

Sorry, but the Hull site IS WRONG - see all 'expert' posts above - it clearly states that an 'O-A' will be obtained INSIDE Thailand after landing with all the required papers and the cash in a Thai bank - this part is plain wrong, even if they get some other details right.

Hull has been saying this for years, and about 5 years ago I sent them an email pointing out their errors. They did have the courtesy to reply, but said they were just reiterating the guidance they received from MFA. And, indeed, the MFA site Ubonjoe pointed to is still misleading (although updated Oct 15, 2013) when they say Thai Immigration is one source for obtaining an O-A visa.

And I bet MFA believes this -- because 10 years or so ago they granted Immigration the power to issue Non Imm visas in-country, as such visas were the necessary "hook" that Immigration needed to grant one-year permissions of stay. In MFA think, Non Imm O visas resulted in only 90 day stays, while Non Imm O-A "long stay" visas resulted in one year stays. So when Immigration asked MFA for permission to issue Non Imm visas for the purpose of granting one-year stays...........well, easy to see the subsequent confusion. So, all these years MFA has believed Immigration is, indeed, issuing Non Imm O-A visas before they stamp the passport with the one-year permission of stay stamp. Plus, of course, that Immigration follows MFA's rules about medical and police: "1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand....." But, hey, MFA is the daddy rabbit of visa issuance -- so visa issuance only happens in the set manner, and for the sole purpose, they've prescribed -- couldn't possibly happen any other way.

And Hull, of course, works for MFA, not Immigration. And, as earlier said, it's been pointed out to them the errors of MFA's thinking. But, nope, they still believe O-A visas can be issued in Thailand. So it will continue to be groundhog day with this subject, as newbies on this forum scratch their heads.

• Like 1

Hull has been saying this for years, and about 5 years ago I sent them an email pointing out their errors. They did have the courtesy to reply, but said they were just reiterating the guidance they received from MFA. And, indeed, the MFA site Ubonjoe pointed to is still misleading (although updated Oct 15, 2013) when they say Thai Immigration is one source for obtaining an O-A visa.

And I bet MFA believes this -- because 10 years or so ago they granted Immigration the power to issue Non Imm visas in-country, as such visas were the necessary "hook" that Immigration needed to grant one-year permissions of stay. In MFA think, Non Imm O visas resulted in only 90 day stays, while Non Imm O-A "long stay" visas resulted in one year stays. So when Immigration asked MFA for permission to issue Non Imm visas for the purpose of granting one-year stays...........well, easy to see the subsequent confusion. So, all these years MFA has believed Immigration is, indeed, issuing Non Imm O-A visas before they stamp the passport with the one-year permission of stay stamp. Plus, of course, that Immigration follows MFA's rules about medical and police: "1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand....." But, hey, MFA is the daddy rabbit of visa issuance -- so visa issuance only happens in the set manner, and for the sole purpose, they've prescribed -- couldn't possibly happen any other way.

And Hull, of course, works for MFA, not Immigration. And, as earlier said, it's been pointed out to them the errors of MFA's thinking. But, nope, they still believe O-A visas can be issued in Thailand. So it will continue to be groundhog day with this subject, as newbies on this forum scratch their heads.

Thanks for that - jeez, it's even worse than i first thought !

Even though the MFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) is supposed to know what the rules are many Embassies and Consulates follow their own interpretation of those rules

For instance, in the US, the MFA rule is that the police report, medical certificate, and bank statement must be notarized, yet only Los Angeles and Chicago Consulates enforce this a requirement. The Embasssy in Washington and the Consulate in New York do not require the documents to be notarized

So I would follow whatever requirements are at the office where you are applying since they are the ones that are going to issue the visa, not the MFA

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1