Saving Daylight - The time are a Changing

David48

Just a heads up that some time Zones around the World have just, or are about to change due to Daylight Saving.

Some parts of Australia went forward overnight by an hour.

It's relevant because, if you are in Thailand and wish to watch your favourite Premier League Game or have to conduct business within 'Business Hours' in another Country ... these might have recently changed.

Ridiculous, doesn't save anything, only disturbs feeding patterns animals, humans included.

Oh, and I really hate it when it still is dark at 08am and gets dark again at 16.00, driving home from work.

Luckily I don't work anymore and live in Thailand where there is no need for daylight saving biggrin.png

Edited by tartempion
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reminder, I think North America is a few weeks off still - great now my Mother will be waking me an hour out of sync to ask what I ate.

I agree it is silly, used to drive me crazy as it would take me more than an hour trying to figure out how to change the clock on the microwave.

Thanks for the reminder, I think North America is a few weeks off still - great now my Mother will be waking me an hour out of sync to ask what I ate.

I agree it is silly, used to drive me crazy as it would take me more than an hour trying to figure out how to change the clock on the microwave.

i used to have a Sekonda divers watch and twice a year i would have to refer to the manual to change the time,(No i'm not thick-it's just unnecessarily complicated and i wasted two hours a years saving two hoursblink.png

CCC

• Like 2

We have about 15 clocks and 6 watches in our house so daylight saving time is a real pain in the ass.

Which begs an interesting question that has occured to me after 10 plus years here...Why so many clocks in Thai houses, my place is no different....as we know for the most part Thai's are not known for their punctuality

"Why so many clocks in Thai houses, my place is no different." ... and none of them showing the correct time!

We have about 15 clocks and 6 watches in our house so daylight saving time is a real pain in the ass.

Which begs an interesting question that has occured to me after 10 plus years here...Why so many clocks in Thai houses, my place is no different....as we know for the most part Thai's are not known for their punctuality

"Why so many clocks in Thai houses, my place is no different." ... and none of them showing the correct time!

or the batteries have run out biggrin.png

I spent my life criss crossing oceans, changing time zones, no biggy for me.

Sometimes when out having a drink I would have a bit of fun and ask people if they had ever worked more than a 7 Day week. You an imagine the response. Impossible.

When sailing from Asia, Australia for Pearl Harbour, Hawaii, we had to cross the International Dateline. Going over you gained a day and coming back you lost one.

One Skipper I served under did not like his sailors being idle. Normal, peacetime, Saturday and Sunday 'Sea Routines' meant a half day off Saturday and a full day off Sunday, after Church (if not on watch).

So, after our Far East Deployment, leaving Singapore, on the way to Hawaii in 1972 we worked, Monday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and a Half Day Sunday! Yep, A 71/2 day working week!

Guess what day we missed out on coming back to Oz?

You guessed it - Bloody SUNDAY!

A day wasted changing the time! If only Dr Who had the same problems.

CCC

All the clocks and watches in my house are radio-controlled. I don't have to change any of them - they do it themselves biggrin.png

A day wasted changing the time! If only Dr Who had the same problems.

CCC

All the clocks and watches in my house are radio-controlled. I don't have to change any of them - they do it themselves biggrin.png

Did you buy the same ones as YK has just bought for the parliment ?

Ridiculous, doesn't save anything, only disturbs feeding patterns animals, humans included.

Oh, and I really hate it when it still is dark at 08am and gets dark again at 16.00, driving home from work.

Luckily I don't work anymore and live in Thailand where there is no need for daylight saving biggrin.png

Winter time is the true time in the UK GMT. Didn't building trade accidents increase in winter when a year round summer time was tried?

In Australia NSW, Victoria, ACT and Tasmania are now 4 hours ahead. Queensland still only 3 hours. South Australia 3.5 hours. NT is still 2.5 hours and WA 1 hour. Can be a little confusing.

Just for clarification ... what ripstanley also means is that the times stated above refer to the time the various States and Territories in Australia are ahead of Thai Time ... rather then the amount that they 'wound their clocks forward'.

• Like 1

None of your friends from the USA or Canada have replied (I think) ... do you have the 'Saving of the Daylight'?

If so ... when are your clocks' time changed?

N America does. just nit sure of the dates. Lots of global variations to it though.

None of your friends from the USA or Canada have replied (I think) ... do you have the 'Saving of the Daylight'?

If so ... when are your clocks' time changed?

N America does. just nit sure of the dates. Lots of global variations to it though.

All about timezone events:

http://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/events.html

27 Oct 2013 is THE important date.

Its also an important date for fllight schedules (summer/winter schedule, new/changed/cancelled flight routes).

But still the USA changes at 3 Nov 2013. 27 Oct to 3 Nov: a week of possible confusion in flight schedules (e.g.).

What a nonsense!

The past Aussie event at 6 Oct is also in the table.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Sure, but for the passengers it is inconvinient.

Example LH 400, Frankfurt - New York

Departure/Arrival Time during the week of timezone changes

27 OCT 10:20 12:45 ("summer" schedule)

28 OCT 10:55 14:35 (change of departure time on 28 OCT)
2 NOV 10:55 14:35

3 NOV 10:55 13:35 (new "winter" schedule)

Why do you need to change the feeding patterns for animals?

You can feed them at the same time no matter what the clock tells.

I don't know if it saves electric...actually there must be exact statistics, the power plants must know.

"Spring" ahead and "Fall" back.

I think it's great, and it saves a lot of energy.

Doesn't.

Might in a different climate (not Australian) ... just saying like.

Doesn't, complete waste of time designed to screw up my finely tuned digestive habits twice a year. When I was working I used to hate it when the sun, that had slowly been catching up with my 7am start suddenly disappeared again.

http://www.voxeu.org/article/does-daylight-saving-time-save-electricity

You can't save daylight, but you can get up too early/too late to profit by it.

Might in a different climate (not Australian) ... just saying like.

Doesn't, complete waste of time designed to screw up my finely tuned digestive habits twice a year. When I was working I used to hate it when the sun, that had slowly been catching up with my 7am start suddenly disappeared again.

http://www.voxeu.org/article/does-daylight-saving-time-save-electricity

You can't save daylight, but you can get up too early/too late to profit by it.

That link doesn't load for me ...

Actually.... It does save daylight. If we didn't set the clocks back by an hour in October, then by December, the kids would be walking to school in the dark.

These things are for a reason and are thought up by much more intelligent people than you and me.

• Like 1