Eurasian mix and intelligent children...........

Chittychangchang

The funny thing is his thai mum nor myself are over average IQ.

Sorry couldn't highlight that bit of your post cos it's against TV rule so you are saying both y6ou and your wife are what average IQ or below average?

the more funny thing is, that you offered him a financial start into a coffee shop. Not that he build it up from the hocks with all his intellect and knowledge, but YOUR money.

Let's see if he is smart enough to make something out of it.

Intelligence has nothing to do with financial success or the ability to succeed in business ventures.

That is wrong......

You hardly see successful people who are complete idiots. And you don't see many super smart one that are complete broken.

There is a wide variety but if you can't add 1+1 you won't have success in business.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a bit racist to me.

There is absolutely no reason and no proof that Asian in general and Thais in particular are less intelligent than mixed-race children.

What might be true is that in many cases mixed-race children in Thailand get a better education than their Thai friends, simply because many mixed couples have the financial means to send their children to better schools. To conclude from this that these children are more intelligent is in my view wrong.

If you ask an US American, he would probably say that Asian descendents are more intelligent that US Americans, as can be seen by the number of High-School, College and University graduates compared to their quota in population, but again, it probably originates in a different emphasis on the importance of education form their Asian parents.

I think you are wrong.

My 19 yo son kept running away from school and effectively had around 2 years of formal education in a lousy Thai school and would not go near a school after age 10 (Not all farangs have the big bucks to send them to good schools)

He will listen to a foreign word ONCE and just simply remember it, he has self taught himself Japanese apart from speaking perfect English and Thai. he knows pretty much everything about computers (PC) people come to him to fix things all the time. He can remember all the words in a song after listening ONCE in Japanese Thai & English. He just recently opened his own coffee shop and taught himself all the barista stuff in one day and refused to go to the free lessons given by Bon-Cafe when you buy a coffee machine. The first time he tried riding a motor cycle (A Honda phantom Gears and clutch) he mastered it within 5 mins !! and he was 14 at the time !!!

I could go on but I think you can see he is not your normal Thai, that bit of farang/Thai mix must have done something up in his noodle funny thing is his Thai mum nor myself are over average IQ. He definitely thinks differently to most people his is not a savant or dyslexic etc.

Any foreigner who has lived here for years and cannot afford to send their kids to good schools must be of low IQ what with all the advantages we have as foreigners to make money.

Many mixed kids have psychological probkens due tobtge stupidity and incompatibility of their parents.

Ironically often the ugly Issan girl and fat slimy farang have the best looking kids.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry couldn't highlight that bit of your post cos it's against TV rule so you are saying both y6ou and your wife are what average IQ or below average?

the more funny thing is, that you offered him a financial start into a coffee shop. Not that he build it up from the hocks with all his intellect and knowledge, but YOUR money.

Let's see if he is smart enough to make something out of it.

Intelligence has nothing to do with financial success or the ability to succeed in business ventures.

That is wrong......

You hardly see successful people who are complete idiots. And you don't see many super smart one that are complete broken.

There is a wide variety but if you can't add 1+1 you won't have success in business.

What about Forrest ?

Not only Eurasians, actually all luk-khrungs are in fact intelligent and smart and highly educated, we will surly see them filling top most jobs in Thailand in few years.

only given when the correct people in the correct positions get their tea money, so the kids are promoted a step further. When they have reached a nice position that earns them 30,000 BHT per month, the investment might have summed up to 5 Million Baht. Otherwise Luk Khrungs will be the new paria class of Thailand. Very regardless of their intelligence, superiorness and school grades. No good job here can be had without prevalent tea ceremonies . .

Pure crap.

You don't get out very much do you?

oh, i do. My luk khrungs will all be movie stars, role TV models and such, or/and soon will fill all the vacant jobs in government, acording to their overwhelming junior and senior school grades.

Maybe the one who does not go out much, is you ? Or are you a sleepwalker every other night ?

Nah, I'm just half thai who has been working in Thailand since the late 1990's. So clearly, I know nothing.

There is absolutely no reason and no proof that Asian in general and Thais in particular are less intelligent than mixed-race children.

What might be true is that in many cases mixed-race children in Thailand get a better education than their Thai friends, simply because many mixed couples have the financial means to send their children to better schools. To conclude from this that these children are more intelligent is in my view wrong.

If you ask an US American, he would probably say that Asian descendents are more intelligent that US Americans, as can be seen by the number of High-School, College and University graduates compared to their quota in population, but again, it probably originates in a different emphasis on the importance of education form their Asian parents.

I think you are wrong.

My 19 yo son kept running away from school and effectively had around 2 years of formal education in a lousy Thai school and would not go near a school after age 10 (Not all farangs have the big bucks to send them to good schools)

He will listen to a foreign word ONCE and just simply remember it, he has self taught himself Japanese apart from speaking perfect English and Thai. he knows pretty much everything about computers (PC) people come to him to fix things all the time. He can remember all the words in a song after listening ONCE in Japanese Thai & English. He just recently opened his own coffee shop and taught himself all the barista stuff in one day and refused to go to the free lessons given by Bon-Cafe when you buy a coffee machine. The first time he tried riding a motor cycle (A Honda phantom Gears and clutch) he mastered it within 5 mins !! and he was 14 at the time !!!

I could go on but I think you can see he is not your normal Thai, that bit of farang/Thai mix must have done something up in his noodle funny thing is his Thai mum nor myself are over average IQ. He definitely thinks differently to most people his is not a savant or dyslexic etc.

Average

That is wrong......

What about Forrest ?

What is "Forrest"?

I think you are wrong.

Any foreigner who has lived here for years and cannot afford to send their kids to good schools must be of low IQ what with all the advantages we have as foreigners to make money.

Many mixed kids have psychological probkens due tobtge stupidity and incompatibility of their parents.

Ironically often the ugly Issan girl and fat slimy farang have the best looking kids.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have plenty of money, lots of it. I just said some farangs don't have the big bucks, the reason he dint go to school is because he refused to go (it was many years of tears, tantrums, & frankly hell) We tried a good school but he refused that as well, he would disappear for days you have no idea of the stress levels, he is so strong minded and impossible to control.

My point in my post was he is super clever and it has nothing to do with school !!!!

That is wrong......

What about Forrest ?

What is "Forrest"?

You are on your way to multi millionaire.

That is wrong......

What about Forrest ?

What is "Forrest"?

surname, Gump.

This seems like a dangerous topic. Could teeter into a racism spat, but hopefully it won't. Anyway, here are my thoughts in the question. I teach a good number of Luk Krung kids, and on the surface it may seem that they are more intelligent. But I attribute this to the fact that their English is a usually quite a bit better than the Thai kids. Because of this, I can have more of a conversation with the LK kids. But when you go a little deeper, I have noticed that many of my LK students struggle in many other subjects and often they have been some of my laziest students. I guess what I am trying to say is that due to the fact LK are much better in English, they can come across as very intelligent. Once you take away the language skills, they are very similar to the 100% Thai kids.

I agree.

Over the years I've taught and known hundreds of Loog Kreung kids and even seen many of them grow into adults.

Sure, many are 'intelligent' in as far as they can get to university and 'pass' a degree. However, many have had life too easy and lack motivation, end up becoming air hostesses, tour guides, models etc.I can't recall anyone kids I've taught becoming brain surgeons(or even simple doctors). Out of all my friends' kids none have shown extraordinary intelligence. These kids are born, in most cases, with a big advantage. How many are in parliament? Two in all history that I know of.One was/is very intelligent, which I put down to him being 50% Scottish. Meechai Viravadya -the reason Thais call condoms "meechai". It is known that Scottish people are above average intelligence - most the important inventions and medical breakthroughs coming from such a small country. Compare with a US state Kansas which is 3 times larger.smile.png Or Isarn, which has 4 times the population. Bird Thongchai McIntyre, Thailand biggest superstar is another example.

Edited by Neeranam

... I absolutely agree that generally speaking they are smarter than the average Thai child, and also smarter than the average Brit or Ozzie kid (my nationality and many of my friends)....

It's all BS. It's a perception thing that's all. Being foreigners, our points of reference are buggered. We are totally challenged, linguistically and culturally in LOS, so it stands to reason that our half-breeds APPEAR to be more bright, ie. they communicate better and display more of the attributes that we, as foreigners, are used to and can relate and compare with. That does NOT equate to being naturally the sharpest pencil in the box.

Did you actually read what you quoted ? Try posting answers to posts you have actually read, AND COMPREHENDED

I said their appear to be smarter than both Thai and Farang children, but you got on a rant about comparisons with Thais only. Perhaps the not "sharpest pencil in the box" is closer to home than you think ...

I agree with Naen Laew actually. Just have to look at some of my cousins, nice people, but not acdemically bright and in their 30's working dead end jobs. Half Thai.

Foreigners in Thailand tend to attribute intelligence, smarts etc, simply due to the fact that they can understand someone in their native language. And why wouldn't you when most of your communication has been in pigeon English or bad Thai. The contrast is stark.

• Like 1

This seems like a dangerous topic. Could teeter into a racism spat, but hopefully it won't. Anyway, here are my thoughts in the question. I teach a good number of Luk Krung kids, and on the surface it may seem that they are more intelligent. But I attribute this to the fact that their English is a usually quite a bit better than the Thai kids. Because of this, I can have more of a conversation with the LK kids. But when you go a little deeper, I have noticed that many of my LK students struggle in many other subjects and often they have been some of my laziest students. I guess what I am trying to say is that due to the fact LK are much better in English, they can come across as very intelligent. Once you take away the language skills, they are very similar to the 100% Thai kids.

I agree.

Over the years I've taught and known hundreds of Loog Kreung kids and even seen many of them grow into adults.

Sure, many are 'intelligent' in as far as they can get to university and 'pass' a degree. However, many have had life too easy and lack motivation, end up becoming air hostesses, tour guides, models etc.I can't recall anyone kids I've taught becoming brain surgeons(or even simple doctors). Out of all my friends' kids none have shown extraordinary intelligence. These kids are born, in most cases, with a big advantage. How many are in parliament? Two in all history that I know of.One was/is very intelligent, which I put down to him being 50% Scottish. Meechai Viravadya -the reason Thais call condoms "meechai". It is known that Scottish people are above average intelligence - most the important inventions and medical breakthroughs coming from such a small country. Compare with a US state Kansas which is 3 times larger.smile.png Or Isarn, which has 4 times the population. Bird Thongchai McIntyre, Thailand biggest superstar is another example.

Absolute. Bullshit

To the people who accuse Thai bashers of doing what they do best: Bash Thais, pay attention, because any truth that half-half children are brighter and more successful can (IMO) be attributed to the origins of our compelling urges to bash Thais.

Additionally, there is one thought I have, and it is an idea I have been aware of from my observations of human beings in general.

Thailand is without a doubt a racist country. This is my opinion. I have noticed that people in Thailand who are singled out are much smarter than the average person who fits in to the herd. Gay people, for example, usually tend to be (IMO) much more bright and aggressive in reaching their goals in life. They also are generally more pleasant people to have discussions with and their intelligence levels seem to be more broad than the average person.

I think that this is due to the fact that they know they are different, and that is a burden that one carries and has to step up to the plate and toughen up a lot quicker in life than the one who fits like a glove in the herd, and does not have to attend to matters for lack of fear of being singled out (being laughed at, insulted, ignored, rejected, abandoned, passed over, etc.)

My point is that I am convinced that half-half children know they are different. This is not made any easier in the mind of a child when growing up in a racist environment with native Thais children who are (in their minds) faultless and perfect.

Children, in general, already have enough stress levels to make life daunting. There is not any recognition given to half-half children for their uniqueness, and instead they are taught that they are "Thai", when in fact this charade comes across more as an insult and injury to them than anything else. Their uniqueness is not recognized by the adult Thai community in any other fashion than as a stereotype or a racial slur. They are either admired and unfairly put on a pedestal or envied and despised and unfairly singled out. There is no balance to their lives because they are not given a status for what they are, and native Thai children are not taught to recognize that other races and mixed races are important too.

So, in summary, half-half children, I believe in theory, have a bigger burden from the starting line to live up to or face up to, and this kind of environment will make you or break you. I believe that since foreign fathers and mothers are much more supportive and nurturing to their children (Tolerance and temperance) than Thai mothers and fathers (Tolerance only), that most of the half-half children come out on top of this stressful and chaotic environment in Thailand that they are thrust in to.

I may be off a bit on this, but there is something to this that I have noticed in humans, and trying to put my finger on it has lead me thus far to this theory. I am still searching for answers.

I may be off a bit on this, but there is something to this that I have noticed in humans, and trying to put my finger on it has lead me thus far to this theory. I am still searching for answers

Do you actually have any "half-half" children?

Keep searching for the answers.....the truth is out there!

CCC

I agree.

Absolute. Bullshit

Care to elaborate? Sorry if you're from Kansas, just a example.

Edited by Neeranam

• 3 weeks later...

I agree.

the inventiveness of scots has more to do with the education levels of the population rather than the intelligence levels. scotland stressed education for all its citizens long before most other countries in the world

I agree.

the inventiveness of scots has more to do with the education levels of the population rather than the intelligence levels. scotland stressed education for all its citizens long before most other countries in the world

Typical Scottish arrogance.

It is known that Scottish people are above average intelligence - most the important inventions and medical breakthroughs coming from such a small country.

No it is not known. What is known is that Scotland lags behind in IQ compared to the rest of UK and most of Europe according to reliable sources (Prof. Richard Lynn).

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/top-stories/scotland-lags-europe-in-iq-league-1-487587

Edited by Forethat
  • Like 1

Asian parents always tell their children to study smart work smart and when they grow up to hold professional jobs and don't be like their forefathers just planting rice in paddy fields. So a mixed marriage has the advantage if the father can send the child to a private school but even if they do decide to go to a local school, and imbibed good values in the child, everythig is going to be OK.

Edited by lips

I think most of these so called mixed kids get their brains from their Thai mother taking in to consideration with what kind of foreigners some of them are breeding with ,after many incounters with foreigners in Thailand i am convinced prehistoric man still excists.

Edited by Kudel
  • Like 1

I agree.

Doctors and Brain Surgeons don't need to be all the intelligent.

Most of the work they do is repetitive, and in the case of a surgeon only good co-ordination is required.

Likewise MPs do not need to be very intelligent, avaricious and moral flexibility are their required traits.

Most truly intelligent people learn, early on, to hide in the general population.

Foreigners in Thailand tend to attribute intelligence, smarts etc, simply due to the fact that they can understand someone in their native language. And why wouldn't you when most of your communication has been in pigeon English or bad Thai. The contrast is stark.

I've made that mistake myself - I was working in China with a team of Chinese engineer, I completely forgot the lesson I had already learned in Thailand and assumed the guy with the best English language skills 1. the brightest 2. the guy who could make a clear decision.

To my later cost, I was wrong on both points.