Rent a scooter or a car to view properties in Pattaya ?

thairookie

What is a Get On Bus?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm looking at this map given by the hotel during my previous trip. It has this red dotted line that traces the route from Pattaya Sai 2 all the way to Walking Street. Along the way, there stops marked "Get On Bus" and then there is also an "Hop On Hop Off".

Are these buses or Songtaew ? Or it's some service run by the Tourism Authority that is free ?

if you are serious and really set on getting a property i,e not just getting a feel for the areas and maybe do something in 6 months then why isn't the agent assisting you on your viewings first then after that you can go back and look at the most favored locations?

I always took my clients on viewings, even helped move them in at times and made sure all was good and working....

Is it that much different these days?

if you are serious and really set on getting a property i,e not just getting a feel for the areas and maybe do something in 6 months then why isn't the agent assisting you on your viewings first then after that you can go back and look at the most favored locations?

I always took my clients on viewings, even helped move them in at times and made sure all was good and working....

I might be buying direct from developers if the completion of the construction is not far from now. In that sense, I don't think an agent can offer me a better price than the developers. I might be wrong.

Most importantly, I always feel obligated when an agent spends time chauffeuring me to different projects, and I would feel really bad if I didn't buy from him/her. So I would rather do my homework first.

I have heard of Pratumnak Hill and Wongamat, but I have never been there before. I want to be able to identify or at least visualize the surrounding when someone mentions "Art on the Hill" or "The Serenity" etc.

I might be buying direct from developers if the completion of the construction is not far from now. In that sense, I don't think an agent can offer me a better price than the developers. I might be wrong.

Many off-plan units in Pattaya have been contracted to by "flippers" who have no intention at all of ever acquiring ownership of the unit when the build is completed.

They are looking to sell the contract on before completion and (hopefully) pocket the difference between the price that they contracted to nearer to launch and a figure slightly lower than the current developer price.

It all sounds wonderful on paper but I suspect that as the day of completion draws closer there will be more and more flippers keen to offload their units.

Anyone with 10 minutes to spare today can quite easily find contracts in these buildings being offered for sale at a paper loss, though these tend to be advertised privately rather than through agents for obvious reasons.

I expect the number of these contracts being offered at lower than expected prices to increase rather than to decrease, but of course I am not a clairvoyant and so I may be wrong.

Edited by KittenKong

Anyone with 10 minutes to spare today can quite easily find contracts in these buildings being offered for sale at a paper loss, though these tend to be advertised privately rather than through agents for obvious reasons.

I expect the number of these contracts being offered at lower than expected prices to increase rather than to decrease, but of course I am not a clairvoyant and so I may be wrong.

Does that mean the developers will be "persuaded" to offer a better discount to fend off these flippers ?

Does that mean the developers will be "persuaded" to offer a better discount to fend off these flippers ?

Driving along Thappraya Road I have seen very large signs offering new units at "30% off developer price". If this is actually true then I certainly would be inclined to push very hard for a big discount if I was dealing with the developer directly. Whether I would get it or not is another matter.

The problem is the (to me) very odd sales plan that new developments seem to have here. They seem to launch all projects at a low price and then ramp the price up a lot as the number of remaining units decreases. This certainly encourages flipping but on the surface at least doesn't appear to maximise returns for the developer. So maybe the developers do indeed rely on flippers for a large part of their sales, unsustainable as that may appear.

I did the IT for some property developers in Europe and whilst I wasnt privy to their core finances I do know that when they launched a project they would give away some fairly cheap sweetener to buyers but apart from that the prices would be fixed and would hardly vary for the life of the project, which makes a lot more sense to me. Here it seems to be much more flexible.

And of course another option if the developer wont play ball is just to go to an agent and see what they actually have at "xx% below developer price", or check the small ads for private sales.

Most importantly, I always feel obligated when an agent spends time chauffeuring me to different projects, and I would feel really bad if I didn't buy from him/her. So I would rather do my homework first.

I have heard of Pratumnak Hill and Wongamat, but I have never been there before. I want to be able to identify or at least visualize the surrounding when someone mentions "Art on the Hill" or "The Serenity" etc.

but surely an agent or even a few can take you and show you what they have to offer?

don't feel too bad if you don't purchase through them and go alone....it is after all a numbers game.

in my time I have missed sales where I didn't have the right thing to show them....on the other side of that I have had to show only 2 or 3 properties before the deal is done, on occasion just the 1 property.

For someone who is not familiar with Pattaya and the areas around it are you sure you want to buy a property and not lease something for 6 months to get a feel of the area? I know if I was doing it all over again I would....

unless of course its a pure investment choice and then if it was then are you sure you are going to get any decent return on it, after all without area knowledge you do not know the potential pit falls that lay ahead?

good luck

• Like 1

And what are the common scams practised by bike loan shops ?

Claiming for damage that was already there.

Having the bike stolen from outside your hotel in the night.

Also watch out that it's taxed and insured otherwise the police will want some money too.

They should supply a helmet but I would bring my own.

BTW, do you bring your personal helmet when you rent a scooter from them ?

I may be wrong, but you seem keen on buying a place without knowing much about the area. May I suggest that you go and stay there for at least a week and familiarise yourself with the area. Speak to a few expats that live in and around places you like and get some knowledge.

There are a lot of pitfalls for the unwary when it comes to property in Pattaya.

Good luck.

I may be wrong, but you seem keen on buying a place without knowing much about the area. May I suggest that you go and stay there for at least a week and familiarise yourself with the area. Speak to a few expats that live in and around places you like and get some knowledge.

There are a lot of pitfalls for the unwary when it comes to property in Pattaya.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take note.wai2.gif

Not sure if you're looking for a house or an apartment, but either way, I'd recommend you spend time here looking without your agent. Agents certainly direct you a particular way & lack showing you all available options.

Anyways, to answer you're particular answer, it really depends on your experience driving a motorbike. If you live in BKK & don't drive a bike there--don't drive a bike here. Foreigners (and thais) get into a lot of accidents here, mostly due to inexperience (and thinking their invisible). If you are experienced, then you should be okay, but only if you honestly take precautions and know to drive safe without your ego getting to you.

Don't use taxis here as they're ridiculously expensive. If you're going from point A to point B, and don't feel comfortable driving a bike--I'd recommend a baht bus (most of them will all go off their course to make more money with you) or a motorcy taxi.

If you decide to rent a bike or a car, you'd be able to drive around yourself and inquire about place as most of them advertise outside the building and the rental price will be cheaper than going through an agent.

Good luck.

BTW, do you bring your personal helmet when you rent a scooter from them ?

They have for you to use--but if you prefer your own, bring it.

Scams -- they ask for a copy of your passport & security deposit. Make sure you get it in writing. All of it.

Also, if you can (to be extra safe), take some quick photos of the bike before you leave with it. Just in case you go to a bad shop, you'll have "proof" of the condition when you got it. Also, if anything does happen to the bike while you have it, take it to the repair shop yourself. The repairs are usually inexpensive (especially compared to what the rental shop will charge you).

Thanks, KelCastro. Very useful pointers on estate agents' advice being skewed and some common scams practised by motorbikes loan shops.

I would like to start with Pratumnak Hill. I believe the 10 baht buses are not available in Pratumnak Hill.

Maybe I should hire one to bring me to the top of the hill, and walk my way down.

Thanks, KelCastro. Very useful pointers on estate agents' advice being skewed and some common scams practised by motorbikes loan shops.

I would like to start with Pratumnak Hill. I believe the 10 baht buses are not available in Pratumnak Hill.

Maybe I should hire one to bring me to the top of the hill, and walk my way down.

That area is hilly so be careful if you end up with a rental.

That is a good idea. If you want, it may be cheaper to take a motorcy taxi. Either way you choose, you can say "Big Buddha" and they should take you to the top.

Good luck!

There are reputable places to rent scooters. Not all are scammers. And much easier for getting around. Unless it is raining!

As mentioned before, find a building you like and go into the office. Units for sale should be advertised there. Our village manager knows all the details on the houses for sale and even has the keys for some.

Good luck!

There are reputable places to rent scooters. Not all are scammers. And much easier for getting around. Unless it is raining!

As mentioned before, find a building you like and go into the office. Units for sale should be advertised there. Our village manager knows all the details on the houses for sale and even has the keys for some.

Good luck!

Try to meet some of the neighbors around the pool, lobby or parking lot.

They love to talk.

How to identify the reputable ones ?

A guest house would be a better bet than the beach Rd. rentals.

I mentioned the Richman-Poorman Guest House in Jomtien Beach Rd., Soi 9. American guy. No BS. You might say he is brutally honest. You'll know what I mean when you meet him.

Avoid the guys along the beach.

I rented once on the beach and when I returned the lady began to try me on but the fellow working there had seen me around for a few years and called her off. I have seen arguments and a bunch of arm waving and pointing at damage..

Same same as the jet skis guys. Avoid.

Edited by UncleJ
  • Like 1

A guest house would be a better bet than the beach Rd. rentals.

I mentioned the Richman-Poorman Guest House in Jomtien Beach Rd., Soi 9. American guy. No BS. You might say he is brutally honest. You'll know what I mean when you meet him.

Avoid the guys along the beach.

I rented once on the beach and when I returned the lady began to try me on but the fellow working there had seen me around for a few years and called her off. I have seen arguments and a bunch of arm waving and pointing at damage..

Same same as the jet skis guys. Avoid.

Wow...point noted !wai.gif