A Lesson In Thainess........

theblether

Sometimes i wonder how much of it is made up and how much is real.. its entertaining either way.

I know you won't believe this but I don't make it up. I tend to get insulted on a regular basis biggrin.png

I'm sure there's a subliminal message buried in your saga, especially the bit about running to TV to tell all and sundry about your experience so that the unwashed masses can go into a Thai bashing frenzy.

alligator-feeding-frenzy.jpg

The problem with sarcasm and subliminal messages, however, is pretty well summed up with this thought

that-awkward-moment-when-your-sarcasm-is

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes i wonder how much of it is made up and how much is real.. its entertaining either way.

I know you won't believe this but I don't make it up. I tend to get insulted on a regular basis biggrin.png

I'm sure there's a subliminal message buried in your saga, especially the bit about running to TV to tell all and sundry about your experience so that the unwashed masses can go into a Thai bashing frenzy.

alligator-feeding-frenzy.jpg

The problem with sarcasm and subliminal messages, however, is pretty well summed up with this thought

that-awkward-moment-when-your-sarcasm-is

Did you think it was advanced Suradit ?

And I used to think Finnegans Wake was unreadable. smile.png

As for me, as soon as I see a poster refer to himself in the 3rd person, not to mention his own self-imposed nickname, i stop reading before I spend time I will never get back...

He said, while replying to the topic. coffee1.gif

Well Blether. Your squeeze is away and you've just recovered from dengue fever and a motor bike crash. Now it appears you take out one Thai lady who orders a feast, and then and American who does lunch with you Western style, then in the evening back to a Thai lady who you spook out of eating anything.

Now it's oft too the temple to cleanse your soul and body.

Hmmm - your're a sort of modern day cross between to the two Robs - Burns and MacGregor !!

Still, entertaining. Let's see what mischief you get up to at the temple.

Well Blether. Your squeeze is away and you've just recovered from dengue fever and a motor bike crash. Now it appears you take out one Thai lady who orders a feast, and then and American who does lunch with you Western style, then in the evening back to a Thai lady who you spook out of eating anything.

Now it's oft too the temple to cleanse your soul and body.

Hmmm - your're a sort of modern day cross between to the two Robs - Burns and MacGregor !!

Still, entertaining. Let's see what mischief you get up to at the temple.

Yeah, bring it on.

So... a dinner with a Western Lady is so dull Blether only manages to mention the Salad....

The following evening Blether entertains a cacophony of insults from what appears to be a rather passive aggressive woman...

I wonder how desperate some people are for company that they tolerate such behaviour.

Beggars can't be choosers!rolleyes.gif

Well, maybe I should explain that the lady I was with last night works for my company. She doesn't work for me, she works for my company . She was selected as she has a great grasp of English, she's a qualified accountant and internet savvy. She makes my company a fortune.

I'm not bothered how much she insults me with with her humorous asides, just keep the money rolling. She earns 15,000 baht a month for 2 hours work per day 24 days a month, trust me when I say my company earns far more.

That's one reason why I can swan about the place pleasing myself. Annoying that huh? smile.png

Ah... the bigger picture... You are trapped into tolerating her insults because she's good at her job... Well, swanning around with a certain freedom surely is one of the benefits of thicker skin.. enjoy...

It has been my experience that the locals promise anything just to make you feel good and have no qualms about honouring their promises :)

My friend and I, who have both lived here for well over 10 years each, have discussed this topic at length and he as adopted the locals policy.

I am still on the fence but leaning towards the locals Sanuk...

"promise short, deliver long",

Well, I see the logic in it, though I skip past the spiritual bit. Over-promising drives me up the wall, and i can't stand it when someone agrees to or commits to something they know full well they may not be able to do [i'm sure some cynical people around here would also consider this 'Thai-ness']. I would much rather someone commit to something they know they will do than promise something they are uncertain of. Karma and sin, I don't know... but it's frustrating and often inconsiderate.

Personally I enjoyed the banter of the post.....I also enjoy the uniqueness of "Thai" lessons and of the deferential politeness along with underlying intelligence that makes you sort thing out at a different prespective.....being from the US where it's all in your face I'll take this - and the lessons - any day.....

It has been my experience that the locals promise anything just to make you feel good and have no qualms about honouring their promises smile.png

My friend and I, who have both lived here for well over 10 years each, have discussed this topic at length and he as adopted the locals policy.

I am still on the fence but leaning towards the locals Sanuk...

"promise short, deliver long",

In your experience, would they be as casual about making promises to Buddha?

@Docno......I hear you. wai.gif

Please give us a break!!coffee1.gif

I believe that visiting TVF and reading the contents is voluntary. The power button on our computers will only work if we press them slightly.

Edited by Benmart
  • Like 1

I just don't understand why OP doesn't have his own blog. I didn't think this was offensive to Thais at all...it was pointing out a difference in perspectives. Friends and friends of friends who visit here often find it hard to believe things I tell them about Thailand that are basic (and not negative, either). It is a different place. Anyway, BletherBlog...when is it happening?

There is a blog in place at the moment but I haven't had time to set it up correctly and populate it. I'll do that when I go back to Scotland but to be honest it's not a priority, I've got plenty of other things that are a call on my time.

When you say you are busy I believe you. I assume you have a lunch and a dinner coming up shortly :-)

I read your other post about some dinner, the ladys after-dinner dinner and paying for it all 10 minutes ago, and I now understand you. If you have lunch/dinner with ladies 24/7 it obviously adds up :-)

It also explains the bumbui part, which I only mention as you mentioned it yourself :-)

And yes, one can go for lunch/dinner with various ladies without it leading to sex - but why?? According to you all they do is spend your money and make fun of you :-)

I just don't understand why OP doesn't have his own blog. I didn't think this was offensive to Thais at all...it was pointing out a difference in perspectives. Friends and friends of friends who visit here often find it hard to believe things I tell them about Thailand that are basic (and not negative, either). It is a different place. Anyway, BletherBlog...when is it happening?

There is a blog in place at the moment but I haven't had time to set it up correctly and populate it. I'll do that when I go back to Scotland but to be honest it's not a priority, I've got plenty of other things that are a call on my time.

When you say you are busy I believe you. I assume you have a lunch and a dinner coming up shortly :-)

I read your other post about some dinner, the ladys after-dinner dinner and paying for it all 10 minutes ago, and I now understand you. If you have lunch/dinner with ladies 24/7 it obviously adds up :-)

It also explains the bumbui part, which I only mention as you mentioned it yourself :-)

And yes, one can go for lunch/dinner with various ladies without it leading to sex - but why?? According to you all they do is spend your money and make fun of you :-)

I'm struggling with the "But why?" question. I a bit astounded it's even an issue. blink.png

I love it when my pals have a sense of humour. Thai or farang. In fact I love it even more when a Thai gives me a bit of humorous stick smile.png I think it's called sanuck, and rumour has it, it's an important part of life in Thailand.

Just sayin' smile.png

By the way, I often see Thai / Farang couples sitting in silence in restaurants. The guy invariably looks miserable and the female couldn't make it more obvious she doesn't want to be there. I saw it a few times last week, but the worst one I saw was a guy ( aged about 40 ) getting progressively more furious with his lady for being sullen. They were at the table next to me and the atmosphere was terrible. After a while the guy said, "that's it, eat no more, we're going home" and she replied "I'm not going with you, you're boring".

1-0 to the lady.

I'd much rather have a lady take the rip out of me than ignore me.

Just sayin' smile.png

• Like 1

"you better be careful what you order as I will be reporting back to Thaivisa, and how you conduct yourself will be highly scrutinized. In fact, your entire character will be laid bare".

stopped reading after this line....

Who says this to a girl or to anyone? is that your "FARANGNESS" or put a "ness" to which ever country you are from.

By the way, I often see Thai / Farang couples sitting in silence in restaurants. The guy invariably looks miserable and the female couldn't make it more obvious she doesn't want to be there. I saw it a few times last week, but the worst one I saw was a guy ( aged about 40 ) getting progressively more furious with his lady for being sullen. They were at the table next to me and the atmosphere was terrible. After a while the guy said, "that's it, eat no more, we're going home" and she replied "I'm not going with you, you're boring".

1-0 to the lady.

I'd much rather have a lady take the rip out of me than ignore me.

Just sayin' smile.png

^^ Age difference?

Edited by David48

"you better be careful what you order as I will be reporting back to Thaivisa, and how you conduct yourself will be highly scrutinized. In fact, your entire character will be laid bare".

stopped reading after this line....

Who says this to a girl or to anyone? is that your "FARANGNESS" or put a "ness" to which ever country you are from.

Here Boss, read the thread. She works for my company, she is also fully aware of Thaivisa, she reads it and gets repelled by some of the comments she reads, that's why she won't join. That makes TV weaker.

This forum would be a far stronger place if we could encourage more dependable Thai women to join, but as long as the neanderthal clowns are knocking about, it will never happen.

Equally we also get a great laugh together at some of the rank stupid comments that are written. thumbsup.gif

She read the "Does My Head In" thread, so she knew exactly what I was referring to.

I sometimes wonder if some of you guys have the first clue about who actually reads this forum. You would be astonished, in fact amazed. It's one of the busiest forums in the entire World. smile.png

• Like 2

So... a dinner with a Western Lady is so dull Blether only manages to mention the Salad....

The following evening Blether entertains a cacophony of insults from what appears to be a rather passive aggressive woman...

I wonder how desperate some people are for company that they tolerate such behaviour.

Interesting analysis. But it's important to remember that desperation is a convenient plot device that propels an ubiquitous literary subjectivity.

By the way, I often see Thai / Farang couples sitting in silence in restaurants. The guy invariably looks miserable and the female couldn't make it more obvious she doesn't want to be there.

Good observation! So many Thai Farang couples look like they barely tolerate each other. Maybe they are happy, but they don't look happy. The girl usually doesn't even attempt to hide her contempt, and Farang has this lifeless, resigned look about him.

• Like 2

By the way, I often see Thai / Farang couples sitting in silence in restaurants. The guy invariably looks miserable and the female couldn't make it more obvious she doesn't want to be there.

Good observation! So many Thai Farang couples look like they barely tolerate each other. Maybe they are happy, but they don't look happy. The girl usually doesn't even attempt to hide her contempt, and Farang has this lifeless, resigned look about him.

I sometimes wish I could video it and show it to the guy. It wouldn't take any kind of body language genius to work out that she's just not interested in you.

I'm not immune, I've been out with ladies both here and in farangland where we just don't click, when that happens I can't wait to excuse myself. Again, I bet there are plenty of people who have had that experience.

If your lady won't talk to you and engage with you that's a sorry place to be.

• Like 1

... but I do think that applies to many a couple, in Thailand or Toronto.

One of the solutions is to do different things rather then everything together ... conversations topics for a later time.

Though, one of things, 10 rounds with your Gik ... is probably poorly advised to be dinner plate discussion ... w00t.gif

Avoid Promises! They were created by the same cretins than invented Marriage!

i would not say its a lesson in Thainess to be honest mate.

I don't make promises i cannot keep in any country, if i know i may not be able to keep a promise i use the words MAYBE! not Definitely or i promise...

Infact i find making promises a rather irresponsible act and one that i will avoid at all costs... they are also used by Thai girls to win arguments and blackmail us...