Have you noticed....the difference between the Chinese tourists and the Japanese?

Bri19000

Being of exemplary platitudes, politeness, and culture, and that I don’t want to make an enormous spectacle out of this topic, I have limited it down to n of the easier level, for people around to read.

Anyway, I’ve been consumed by a fiery passion since last week, I used to play pool on a regular basis, 4 x 5 times per week. If I’m lucky I’ll now get twice per fortnight.

So, anyway I’ve been trying to improve my game again.Last night I played a couple of Japanese guys and they were very good. This slightly confused me, because the last time I played any northern Asian peoples, they were all crap at pool (generally).

My question follows… is the idea of trying to play pool in a bar to dominate others about to be dominated by our Asian cousins dominating the pool bars?

INB4 this is an examination of intellect.

Aye ‘right!

Do you like to play pool in Chiang Mai bars???

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Japanese do not generally ride around in large groups on bicycles ignoring the laws of self preservation and common sense.

But they do not wear white shirts and thais (ooopa freudian slip) ties and have a little rectangular black badge atached to the shirt in case they forget who they are.

Edited by harrry

I m amazed there are not more of them being peeled off the pavement ... They drive without looking stop where ever when ever ..... I was sitting in a coffee shop the other day across from the gate . The tour guides were ignoring the Chinese ... I asked them why , they said they dont like taking them farrang better .... Oh well

This is one major difference.

From CityNews

Oct 4, 2013 Lifestyle

CityNews – The Chinese government is cracking down on bad behavior abroad. Deputy Vice Premier Wang Yang announced yesterday that Chinese tourist behavior is affecting the image of China.

1380883794.jpg

The 64 page manifesto published this year on how to act politely the minister said should be read by anyone going abroad.

This booklet offers such advice as:

do not pick your nose in public, do not steal safety vests from airplanes, do not mingle outside public toilets in foreign lands for lengthy amounts of time, do not urinate in swimming pools, do not steal hand towels in Italy as souvenirs to take home, do not use feet to step on things in Nepal, do not order pork when in Muslim countries, do not use the left hand to touch people in India, do not eat bread with one greedy bite or use loud noises when eating noodles on airplanes.

<snip>

More here - Source City News

Edited by Tywais
Edited for fair use and link to source added
  • Like 1

Give me a nose picking Chinese over a loud mouth ethnocentric farang any day.

As long as they don't flick it at me or try to shake my hand.

Had two Chinese lesbians ask me the other day - " Where is curry crab, we want eat curry crab" pointed them in the right direction and they just walked off. blink.png

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

do not pick your nose in public, do not steal safety vests from airplanes, do not mingle outside public toilets in foreign lands for lengthy amounts of time, do not urinate in swimming pools, do not steal hand towels in Italy as souvenirs to take home, do not use feet to step on things in Nepal, do not order pork when in Muslim countries, do not use the left hand to touch people in India, do not eat bread with one greedy bite or use loud noises when eating noodles on airplanes.

No wonder I have been getting funny looks when traveling, I have been doing all the things listed above. And when I was in Nepal in 2007 I did use my feet to step on things, I could not think of a better way of doing it.

But after three trips to China I would find it hard to embarrass myself there, especially when eating. whistling.gif

Just listen to them. Chinese people tend to speak Chinese, whilst Japanese people speak Japanese. tongue.png

If you don't speak either, then try at least to listen to the pronunciation, it's a dead giveaway: Japanese is pretty harsh and with sharp consonants, Chinese soft and slushy. Almost all the S come out as Shh.

To test this, go to Google Translate, enter any text (the longer the better), then translate it to both Chinese and Japanese, and press the loudspeaker icon to listen to it.

The Japanese are generally a lot more worldly, they have been travelling a lot more, usually more educated and from what i have seen - quite polite in comparison to the loud, pushing in front of you in lines and travelling in herds and following a stick with a flag on it Chinese. But hey!

A trip to kanchanaburi a few years back made me change my tune about the Japanese, as a walked over the Death Railway respectful and remorseful at how many humans had lost their lives there, and had to endure a pack of Japanese with cameras, laughing, posing, shouting and blocking my way as they were - Very Proud! of the history that they were a part of making.... Meh!

• Like 2

Yes they speak different language ,

regards Worgeordie

I guess that's because they come from different countries---------- don't they?

You know--------- like Kiwis come from New Zealand

Until they come to Australia then we claim them Mel Gibson...the Finn brothers thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The Japanese are generally a lot more worldly, they have been travelling a lot more, usually more educated and from what i have seen - quite polite in comparison to the loud, pushing in front of you in lines and travelling in herds and following a stick with a flag on it Chinese. But hey!

A trip to kanchanaburi a few years back made me change my tune about the Japanese, as a walked over the Death Railway respectful and remorseful at how many humans had lost their lives there, and had to endure a pack of Japanese with cameras, laughing, posing, shouting and blocking my way as they were - Very Proud! of the history that they were a part of making.... Meh!

Same attitude when they visit the Arizona Memorial at Pear Harbor.

Give me a nose picking Chinese over a loud mouth ethnocentric farang any day.

As long as they don't flick it at me or try to shake my hand.

Had two Chinese lesbians ask me the other day - " Where is curry crab, we want eat curry crab" pointed them in the right direction and they just walked off. blink.png

I would have said "Down by Krabi"

But for sure the Chinese have no manners they push you and always jump the cue's in the airports to immigration the Japanese have far more manners.

• Like 1

Please do not compare Japanese and Chinese. Being Japanese I feel offended lol. We are absolutely different. We only look alike.

Even that is not true,

Japanese people look completely different from Chinese people.

Even within China the peoples of the different provinces can behave and look very different.

Whilst the mainland Chinese still lack some social etiquettes common in most other cultures, they are generally a friendly race of folks.... The Japanese tend to keep themselves to themselves, where you're likely to only meet them in 'Japanese' places.

I have good friends from both countries and choose to live in China these days, where I enjoy their hospitable attitude towards foreigners, generally. My experience of Japanese people overall is that they are not so open, have an elitist attitude about their own race.

• Like 2

Please do not compare Japanese and Chinese. Being Japanese I feel offended lol. We are absolutely different. We only look alike.

Even that is not true,

Japanese people look completely different from Chinese people.

Even within China the peoples of the different provinces can behave and look very different.

Well not entirely false either. I am occasionally mistaken as Chinese or even Korean.

I've met some Chinese people who look absolutely like Japanese.

People from different provinces look different. << This applies in Thailand as well. -*-

i just said we look similar.