Parking at Robinson tip!

KanomPang

After a very short first year of being in Chiang Mai most weekends have become swallowed up by taking the GF and daughter to to Robinson's (Lobinson's or Airport Plaaza - however you wish to pronounce it).

Now out of the last three times we always seem to get there at 'peak-time' 2.00-4.00 pm which resulted in the drudgery of slowly tailing around the car park on the look out for a space but as I say the last few times after spotting 'smart thinking' locals, if you drive up to the turning circle at the main entrance (to the rear where the water fountain is, McDonalds & KFC) I have always found 1 or 2 spaces there (without fail).

Just thought it might be worth mentioning ^_^

You can just go there earlier just before opening time. Most of the time there will always be space in the outdoor parking lot.

Kad Suan Kaew can be worse at times, especially when you have to pay for 10 baht.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You can just go there earlier just before opening time. Most of the time there will always be space in the outdoor parking lot.

Kad Suan Kaew can be worse at times, especially when you have to pay for 10 baht.

KSK is another I refuse to drive to or park at. Take a Tuk Tuk..

KSK is another I refuse to drive to or park at. Take a Tuk Tuk..

I always park at that car park just up from it towards the moat - pay, but no hassle.

Airport Plaza has become more and more of a nightmare as they turn over more and more space to those car washing guys - every bloody floor. IMO they should have a VIP floor where people can pay for a parking apace if they want or go on the hunt on other floors otherwise. Thought it would get better when they stopped the building - and reopened the left hand side off the ground floor - but gave most of it over to discount clothing stalls etc. The guys paid to show spaces are next to useless - they are hidden down little cul-de-sacs instead of standing in the main path and directing cars to areas that they are spaces.

I have a few tricks myself, learned over years of driving there - bit I'll keep them to myself - otherwise they will be useless from now on (like those mentioned in the OP I guess) as is wont to do after telling everyone on a public forum :D.

While driving on the sidewalk to park in the pedestrian area by the fountain please be careful not to run over any babies in strollers like what happened to me last weekend there. It sure looked fun for those driving up the ramp like it was a drag strip especially since they got to see all the people run for thier lives to get out of the way.

Parking is great at The Promonade.............never a problem finding covered parking for now.

Do you have a time frame for now?

Reminds me of a few years ago when they first talked about the Promenada.

All the posters who were so glad it was there. Now they will never have to go to the Airport Mall with it's crowded parking.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

First of all you've just told everybody about a mere one or two spots, which isn't too smart on your part (they'll be taken next weekend!) and secondly you didn't mention that they have VIP short-time parking in the basement, on the right as you go in. It is free for 1 hour, but a trivial amount for any time after that (maybe 20 baht an hour?), which usually means 'free' to me on my get in and out trips. Don't tell everyone about that one either.

As a rule, I refuse to go to any shopping centre at the weekend or to go shopping unless I need something (it never was, and never will be, a leisure activity for me) so the idea of spending most weekends at such places is beyond me. Each to his own.

How about parking in the huge lot out back, where there is always space? It's hot as hell, and you have to walk, unless you want to risk sunstroke waiting for the jitney. Isn't that better than going round and round, breathing bad air in an enclosed bunker, dueling with strangers for scarce space?

I admit it, I have a mild phobia about parking garages. The ones here seem VERY tight. I really hate the one under the Tesco at Kamthieng. But none of you care, I know... Wah!

Plan B: Take a songtao! And, with a little bit of luck, you might catch the wrong songtao on the way out and end up on the free jitney to Promenada! A shopping twofer !! And no parking lot complaints at Promenada !!!

Plan C: (For future consideration!) Wait for the monstrosity to open on the corner of the Superhighway-Nimmnenhamen and Huay Kaeo. Leave your car in traffic with the brake released so that the car can be nudged along. Walk to Maya, shop, get something to eat, maybe take in a movie; then meet your car at the intersection a couple of hours later !! wai2.gif

• Like 1