Insurance For Rental Owner

My girlfriend wants to rent her motorbike out for a while to help with money. However I told her that she should get insurance. She called a couple of normal companies and they said if the bike is being rented out then the insurance doesn't cover it anymore. She couldn't figure out what company would cover this so I am posting here trying to help her figure this out.

One bike?

It will not be cost effective to do this legally with insurance that covers her liability and damage to the bike etc. for 200 Baht/day rentals.

Any company doing bike rentals nearby will not be too pleased, although probably ignore one bike with a for rent sign.

As for getting a real quote she need to talk to the commercial division of any of the major insurance companies, but they will ask her experience, company formation and size of the fleet, at that point the call will end.

If you want her to "have a go" get the best private insurance you can and wing it - then spend plenty on prayer that no one makes a claim against her you.

SCB = 02777 7777

AXA = 02679 7600

BSI (Broker) = 02660 3633

If you can't speak fluent Thai, and she can't figure it out (after only calling a few companies?), then even if someone gives you good information and you both follow up on it, then you won't understand things when you get there and she won't be able to figure it out when they tell her.

Another sad thing about Thailand customer service representatives is that you can talk to any different individual and get different information each time. Generally speaking, their knowledge of their own products, services and policies are about as helpful as talking to a 3 year old.

Go instead to a bike rental place (or a few) and say you want to rent a bike and get all the info they provide, and then ask them if the bikes are insured. If any of them are, then those insurance places are the places you want to call.

My guess is that you will not find even one place that has coverage. She is walking on thin ice if she does this.

• Like 1

It will not be cost effective to do this legally with insurance that covers her liability and damage to the bike etc.

Can you explain this more? I don't see why insuring one bike would cost that much more.

Also she already has someone lined up that wants to rent it for a few months time at a monthly rate.

Any company doing bike rentals nearby will not be too pleased, although probably ignore one bike with a for rent sign.

Why does that matter. She is a Thai citizen. Isn't she allowed to legally rent out a bike or two? Allowing intimidation to dictate how you live your life is not a good way to go through life. Also probably helps her a lot that her dad is reasonably high up in the police force though since TIT.

Go instead to a bike rental place (or a few) and say you want to rent a bike and get all the info they provide, and then ask them if the bikes are insured. If any of them are, then those insurance places are the places you want to call.

Good idea. I'll definitely have her give this a try.

Sorry but rental insurance is not available for a single bike. Only possible for a rental company with multiple bikes.

Does that mean your company or all companies in general? I've rented from small time renters in the past and they always provided insurance - I insisted...

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

Sorry but rental insurance is not available for a single bike. Only possible for a rental company with multiple bikes.

If you are going to rent the bike out, the customer is responsible for any damage or for the possible loss of your bike. You need to have a contract with the renter and they should pay you a deposit. You also need a copy of passport or drivers licence. If you are renting to a farang, then you should also check their visa status and departure date.

Alright guys please stop responding saying it isn't worth it. You should not be applying your personal circumstances to that analysis. Truth is that successfully renting one motorbike for a Thai girl is the same thing as having a part time job. Does it make you feel like big men because that isn't that much money or something?

Also please stop suggesting that I tell my girlfriend to give up without even trying. That is pathetic, defeatist attitude for a person to have. I really hope none of you have/had kids because you'd be awful parents telling them to go through life like that.

thaivisa has pretty bad reputation and most of the replies here are concrete examples of why. I know I'm dealing with adults yet the forum overall has the same level of maturity you'd expect to find in a high school. Too many guys living here have pickled their brains with alcohol. And let all of that cheap sex really boost their ego.

Really, what kind of thing is it go to around telling people to not try and/or that they will fail. Especially when you are just speculating and don't even know: yeah, turns out you guys were all wrong. I've found a suitable insurance company.

I guess it is easy to tell others to not worry about money when you are living off their dime on a flawed social security and pension design that leaves younger generations out to dry.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk
  • Like 1

...and don't even know: yeah, turns out you guys were all wrong. I've found a suitable insurance company.

The name of which will conveniently remain a secret, yes?

And please tell us what is covered under the policy.

• Like 1

Alright guys please stop responding saying it isn't worth it. You should not be applying your personal circumstances to that analysis. Truth is that successfully renting one motorbike for a Thai girl is the same thing as having a part time job. Does it make you feel like big men because that isn't that much money or something?

Also please stop suggesting that I tell my girlfriend to give up without even trying. That is pathetic, defeatist attitude for a person to have. I really hope none of you have/had kids because you'd be awful parents telling them to go through life like that.

thaivisa has pretty bad reputation and most of the replies here are concrete examples of why. I know I'm dealing with adults yet the forum overall has the same level of maturity you'd expect to find in a high school. Too many guys living here have pickled their brains with alcohol. And let all of that cheap sex really boost their ego.

Really, what kind of thing is it go to around telling people to not try and/or that they will fail. Especially when you are just speculating and don't even know: yeah, turns out you guys were all wrong. I've found a suitable insurance company.

I guess it is easy to tell others to not worry about money when you are living off their dime on a flawed social security and pension design that leaves younger generations out to dry.

Well, really, most of the posters here have some form of experience or been around Thailand long enough to know how things work.

You made also a number of considerations on the lifestyle of the members who advised you which need not necessarily apply to any or all of them and which are extremely rude to put it politely.

You do not need to insult other members to make your own choices, but if you feel the need to come on TV for advice, it means you have no idea how it takes place by yourself. In these countries "having a business" is a big ambition of the locals, but it often fails because luck has turned (accident...) and/or because the person did not research laws and contracts or did not understand them. I hope your thai language skills are high enough to decrypt an insurance policy. As usual, devil sits in the details.

Again, despite the best advice given here, you are still free to take your own risk (or run away from your gf when she will be sued). All we can say is "best of luck"!

You made also a number of considerations on the lifestyle of the members who advised you which need not necessarily apply to any or all of them and which are extremely rude to put it politely.

Tit for tat. If other people are going to be inconsiderate jackasses then I will respond with the same. And in this case I didn't even have to try: I just spoke my mind. With lots of truth in the words I wrote. Indeed it is very rude to attack someone's character like that. I did so deliberately. Really, screw you guys.

but if you feel the need to come on TV for advice, it means you have no idea how it takes place by yourself

That or it could skip the busy working of tracking down a suitable insurance company. Asking for advice doesn't make a person completely clueless. Another ridiculous gem from Thaivisa right there, though.

All we can say is "best of luck"!

Yeah only I know you guys don't really mean it.

The name of which will conveniently remain a secret, yes?

Think about the tone of this post compared to the tone I used in my original post. If you think I (or anyone else with some self respect) will help anyone out on here after the way I got berated you are completely delusional.

Edited by drnkurmlkshk

Your attitude astounds me. If you do not like what you hear on Thai Visa, then do not come on here asking for advice. And if you are that concerned about your girlfriends financial status, why not give her 3000 baht a month and be done with it.. You seem to enjoy labeling people on Thai Visa.. So here"s a label for you, cheap charlie...

• Like 2

OP: I thought the question was fair. What can she make renting out one motorbike? You talk about 300 a day, but with additional insurance costs, wear and tear on the bike, and the fact that she will have no transportation while “her” bike is rented.

I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, but it all just seems a little suspect to me.

• Like 1

There are a few who do the same as the OP wishes to do around here, they rent to farangs, have a contract which the person who rents the bike from you has to sign, they keep their passport, I know that,s illegal but they get a copy which the person renting the bike can show to the police if needed. The contract waives all responsibility from the person who is renting the bike to the customer. If any damage is done to the bike the person is responsible for paying for the bike to be repaired until they get their passport returned, they presume the Farang has their own medical insurance to cover any fees. This process is used by people with several bikes. To get Rental Insurance as previously mention is far too expensive to make it viable doing it that way.

Good point about Rental insurance maybe the OP should note this.

I get my Versys on private insurance on No.1 insurance because big bike but can't get 2nd class insurance on it. sad.png

As a Thai Insurance company, it would be good if you could point out the dificulties the OP's girlfriend could get herself into, maybe you can maybe you can't.

My take is:-

As long as there is no serious accident or incident she will be OK.

On the other hand she must know it's her bike and she will be responsible for whatever happens to it.

Edited by Kwasaki