Flood Conditions for Driving from Korat to Chong Chom in Surin, for Initiating 2nd Entry of TR Visa?

wml22

Hello everyone,

I recently posted in the Visa and Immigration forums asking for advice about the feasibility of driving from Korat to Cambodia to start the 2nd tourist visa entry.

Ubonjoe suggested that I go to the border crossing at Chong Chom in Surin, and said I could try asking for an update about driving conditions in the Isaan Forum.

My girlfriend is claiming that the drive from Korat to Chong Chom is impossible because of flooding.

I'm not sure where she's getting that information, and I'm anxious to avoid traveling all the way to Laos and paying for a Laotian visa just to cross and come back in.

So, I'm hoping that someone here can clarify whether any route from Korat to Chong Chom is driveable (e.g. Routes 224, 24, and 214 as suggested by Google).

Has anyone made this drive since the flooding started, or seen a current weather / traffic report?

Thank you for your time, and any information that you may have to share would be much appreciated.

I drove from Bangkok to Sangkha (1, 2, 24) on Wednesday last week, and apart from a bit of a puddle on 24 in Buriram, there were absolutely no flood problems. After that, I drove back and forth from Muang Surin and Sangkha on 2077 several times, and made a trip to the Chong Chom market (2077, 24, 2283 and 214) and back on Saturday. No problem with flooding anywhere, although bits of 2283 are pretty potholed as usual. On the trip back from Sangkha to Bangkok on Sunday, there was still a puddle in Buriram, but it was no longer covering the road - dry all the way.

While I can't speak for the other end of 214, or for 224, I suspect your girlfriend has the same exaggerated view of the extent of flooding in Korat/Buriram/Surin as the Thai TV news; you'll be fine.

Thank you pwm, that is extremely helpful. We'll do the crossing at Chong Chom then. My mind is at ease that the trip will be fine.

Yesterday I drove car from Nonki to Kap Choeng Migration, and visited the Chong Chom bordermarket.

On my way back there was water in the street just before the cross in Prasat, about 20 cm,

and just before the cross in Nang Rong about 20 cm.

But no problems to pass, only slow down little.

Thank you pwm, that is extremely helpful. We'll do the crossing at Chong Chom then. My mind is at ease that the trip will be fine.

Yesterday I drove car from Nonki to Kap Choeng Migration, and visited the Chong Chom bordermarket.

On my way back there was water in the street just before the cross in Prasat, about 20 cm,

I did a chunk of it on the 8th (yesterday) one day after you - from Bangkok to Sisaket, along the part of 24 OP will be using. No water anywhere on the road on 24. Cant speak for Prasat to Chong Jom.

I did a chunk of it on the 8th (yesterday) one day after you - from Bangkok to Sisaket, along the part of 24 OP will be using. No water anywhere on the road on 24. Cant speak for Prasat to Chong Jom.

That part was OK a week ago!

Prasat to Chong Chom.. Drier than the Sahara Desert

Prasat to Chong Chom.. Drier than the Sahara Desert

and about as interesting! cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

24 thru' Korat province is even more boring!

Edit: but at least its quick

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1