Retirement to Marriage is this correct?

Have had 7 retirement extensions since 2006 went to Mae Sai today to change for marriage extension they refused on the non O converted by them oct 2006 said Chiang Mai would knock it back and i have to go to Vientiane for a new non O .

• Like 1

But this is uncharted waters. Suspect because you obtained in Thailand as a conversion for a specific purpose they are using this to prevent the change even though they do not have any problem doing this for consulate issued visas. Suspect if you were on Thai wife and asking for retirement the answer might be different. Can you perhaps make the retirement financials using both income and bank deposit? If not suspect you will need a trip to Vientiane to apply for a single entry visa (or you might want to visit Savannakhet for a multi entry for a year of such entries and just cross border every 90 days rather than worry about extensions for a year.

But this is uncharted waters. Suspect because you obtained in Thailand as a conversion for a specific purpose they are using this to prevent the change even though they do not have any problem doing this for consulate issued visas. Suspect if you were on Thai wife and asking for retirement the answer might be different. Can you perhaps make the retirement financials using both income and bank deposit? If not suspect you will need a trip to Vientiane to apply for a single entry visa (or you might want to visit Savannakhet for a multi entry for a year of such entries and just cross border every 90 days rather than worry about extensions for a year.

OK thanks just wanted to clear my head before the long drive thats what they said about the conversion although i did ask calmly and firmly why they could not tell me 1hour previous when the paper work started and they had my passport details .......blank expressions all round.

I changed from retirement to marriage last year - no problems just had to jump thru' the loops to meet the criteria set out by immigration. Actually heading to immigration tomorrow for the 1st marriage extension. Don't expect any problems - provided I have all the necessary paper work etc.

I changed from retirement to marriage last year - no problems just had to jump thru' the loops to meet the criteria set out by immigration. Actually heading to immigration tomorrow for the 1st marriage extension. Don't expect any problems - provided I have all the necessary paper work etc.

Which office was that?and was your visa converted in Thailand, Mae Sai were adamant despite 10 minutes of hopeful argument that they would not do it.

Which office was that?and was your visa converted in Thailand, Mae Sai were adamant despite 10 minutes of hopeful argument that they would not do it.

He did not change his visa, he changed his reason for an extension of stay. There is a big difference.

He did not change his visa, he changed his reason for an extension of stay. There is a big difference.

That is what i wanted to do please explain difference.

That is what i wanted to do please explain difference.

It would seem that the debate centers on the reason associated with the original conversion from a visa exempt entry/ tourist visa to a non "o" visa .

It would appear that immigration are saying that because that conversion was permitted for the purpose of retirement it is not now possible to simply choose to change the reason for extension from retirement to marriage.

It all seems a little pedantic and have never heard of a similar case.

The likely difference is that you say you converted to a non immigrant entry specifically for retirement inside Thailand. Most people do not go through that step and arrive with the required non immigrant entry which is not tied to a specific reason until extended.

Per above. Immigration allows you to convert from a tourist visa or a visa exempt entry to a non-immigrant visa, but only for a reason. Apparently when you convert you have to stick with that reason and are not allowed to change the reason for your extension of stay. (This is the second case I heard of in recent time)

If you enter Thailand on a regular non-immigrant visa you do have the option to change your reason for an extension of stay.