Ah Sir khun mai Thai its Farang price for you!

DerekMc

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

rip off here rip off there.....same same

Yes and wasn't it also an Austrian who through his sick discrimination caused the death of six million innocent people,there again history teaches us that some people will never learn.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We in Austria also charge the Germans and Japanese double, triple than the locals.

If my parents ordering a schnaps (some high alcohol drink) they pay less than foreigner and the waiter takes the other bottle which is not watered down.

Yes and wasn't it also an Austrian who through his sick discrimination caused the death of six million innocent people,there again history teaches us that some people will never learn.

blink.png

yes rip off here,rip off there and RIP to the poor six million and that's from a christian.

Nope, we all show our Thai DL, and get in for the Thai price.

3 days ago, we were heading home after a day of sightseeing, wife, daughter, and her visiting cousin, nephew and sister, who all decided they want to see a waterfall as we were coming up on the turn in. I had left my yellow book and passport at home, showing I have lived here over 5 yrs. It seems most places will smile and wave you through if you show you are retired, and have lived here 5 or more years. Same scenario you described, Derek, 20b for locals, 100b for farang. I told the wife to take the car and go see it. I would wait at the bottom of the road, sit on a stump and watch traffic go by. To understand my way of thinking, I don't care about the 100b, but it is the principle of the thing. Even the UN called Thailand on this, referring to it as racial discrimination. While waiting for them, 7 tourists on rented motorbikes came up, stopped to inquire about me sitting there. I informed them as to why and of the price difference and told them it was up to them. They talked among themselves and all chose to turn around and leave. 800b the tourist police didn't get while I was there. Did my heart good. Incidently, they were watching.
  • Like 1

Also when those Germans are married to an Australian wife and have Australian children ?

Austria not Australia. Australia is a small island just off the coast.

Australia is the worlds largest Island... Its not small.. :/

No h90...that's far from being the same--- What you are doing is ripping off a customer, & as an Australian I can say that if you--or your employer were found out, then action would be taken. So please do not talk about we in Australia when all your talking about is some hole in the wall joint taking advantage of some tourist that wanders in there for a drink---- What the OP is complaining about, is a state ordered policy to charge another fee because of Race / origin ---No we don't have that in Australia, if you get into a line to enter sea world , go to dive the great barrier reef, you would pay the same amount that a Japanese person next to you pays.

As someone that has worked in the Australian Tourist industry ---the place you are talking about.....If it ever existed...... would be a disgrace to Australia and to any fair minded person that worked there.

I think you better re-read his post...

I always thought Tonga was slightly bigger? No?

Also when those Germans are married to an Australian wife and have Australian children ?

Austria != Australia.

Austria, Australia whats the difference? There are still people that think I live in Taiwan, and there those that think I live in Thailand, an island. Isn't geography fun?!?

I am glad to see that some people can understand that it is not about the amount in difference that Farangs are charged from Thai's its the fact that there is a different price..

Why do you guys keep repeating the same, tired nonsense? There are plenty of places all over this world that charges non-locals a higher price. In the US, you can bet your ass that non-locals will be paying more for any number of things, including golf, hotels, theme parks, national parks, college tuition....heck, the list goes on and on. So how can you be so "shocked" that there are different prices for non-locals in Thailand? The fact that you didn't even know that proof of residency can get you the Thai price just demonstrates that you are pretty clueless.

As a matter of fact, after 50 yrs living in 5 states, and going to countless attractions, I have never seen higher pricing for international tourists. Everyone pays the same. Sorry to hear about your country.

• Like 1

3 days ago, we were heading home after a day of sightseeing, wife, daughter, and her visiting cousin, nephew and sister, who all decided they want to see a waterfall as we were coming up on the turn in. I had left my yellow book and passport at home, showing I have lived here over 5 yrs. It seems most places will smile and wave you through if you show you are retired, and have lived here 5 or more years. Same scenario you described, Derek, 20b for locals, 100b for farang. I told the wife to take the car and go see it. I would wait at the bottom of the road, sit on a stump and watch traffic go by. To understand my way of thinking, I don't care about the 100b, but it is the principle of the thing. Even the UN called Thailand on this, referring to it as racial discrimination. While waiting for them, 7 tourists on rented motorbikes came up, stopped to inquire about me sitting there. I informed them as to why and of the price difference and told them it was up to them. They talked among themselves and all chose to turn around and leave. 800b the tourist police didn't get while I was there. Did my heart good. Incidently, they were watching.

If you want to make a point, you should have gone to see the waterfall @100bht

and left the family sitting at the gate.

"Sorry, I only have 100bht, as I'm the one with the 100bht the rest of you have to sit outside."

Now that's making a point!

emoticons are not working. If they were I would post 3 on the floor rolling laughter emoticons. That was a great comeback, fiftyTwo. I am looking forward to the next opportunity to try that one, with camera in hand to capture the facial expression on the wife's face.

Actually most ppl don't consider that guy austrian but german and all his deeds are attributed to the country of germany also many thais love wearing their uniforms as a fashion statement.

Welcome to Thailand.

Don't know who told you every thing was perfect here but they misinformed you.

There are some draw backs depending on what you want.

Accept them and if they are to much do some thing about it like get a Thai drivers license.

Now if you want to buy property forget it.

Just except it for what it is and your blood pressure will stay down. Look at it this way there are a lot of things that you like about it. do they get your blood boiling?

Actually most ppl don't consider that guy austrian but german and all his deeds are attributed to the country of germany also many thais love wearing their uniforms as a fashion statement.

Also 6,000,000 were just of one ethnicity. Over all the count was way higher.

• Like 1

Well allow me to add my 3 sense on this topic.

For starters, its not the 100b that is the issue as many are so focused on, it is PRINCIPLE. (Same principle that probably was the cause of the American getting out of the taxi and walking away on a 51b fare before being murdered)

Yes, by all means it gets my blood boiling. It is not discrimination by any means as it is everywhere and even on our home-front yet we just don't notice it. We refer to it as "resident discounts", "ladies night drink free", student-disabled-military-aarp discounts or even discounted prices at the supermarket where you must have a member card yet membership is free.

In Peru, going from Cusco to Machu Picchu by train you buy train tickets $60-$125 yet unbeknownst to traveling tourists there is a train that locals use for a few dollars.

Here in Thaland I did encounter that at the Palace and also IMAX aquarium in Paragon. The Palace, I just started to walk towards the turnstyle and say "I'm Thai" and got a laugh out of them and paid entrance but in IMAX the cashier asked me if I lived here and I said Yes but didn't have any proof other than my FUJI card to somewhat show I'm established. She accepted that and gave me the local price saving me 300b-400b I think.

In the end it all works out. The only stickler is the method here is so blatant and obvious, in your face kind of.

• Like 1

Exactly Fetography that is the way I felt about it...As you can see all the nana plaza and Pattaya barfly's are trying to get they're 2 cents in and say its about the money etc etc... b**s**t talk when in reality its only about the principle of being out with your family,living in thailand for 8 years now and being singled out for your skin colour...I'm not sure if I would describe it as racism but its goddam bloody annoying....!

@ sustento reply to Post No 41

Did I say Eton was a University? (but it is considered amongst the finest and the epitomy of education,which was my point,as you well know) and as for rants,the last Labour Party brought in students having to pay for their own University Education,which was unfair on that generation,small wonder there was riots.You also chose to ignore the following,considering the Topic.

And finally do you really expect this tiny Island of ours to foot the bill to Educate the World? you are comparing entry fees of Universities to entry costs to Tourist attractions, apples and pears!

The point you miss is Thailand doesn't give equality on entrance fees,the UK does! that's what the Topic is about!

So there's another chance for you to answer!
And also some facts to support your claims and figures would be welcome,although why you think British and EU Students should be compared with Foreign Students in the UK,and prices for entrance fees to Tourist attractions and Events is beyond me!

This thread is about dual pricing with the usual 'Oh it's only the Thais who dual price' guff...

UK and EU students maximum fees per year in 2013 £9000

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/going-to-university-in-england/

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2010/dec/09/tuition-fees-vote-government-wins-narrow-victory

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/index.aspx

International versus UK/EU fees at Nottingham University - one of the Russell Group (i.e. posh) universities...

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/fees/tuitionfees/201314/ugcourses201314.aspx

Students are not forced to come to the UK for Studying,and the Universities are not obliged to give Foreign Students the same costs for their studies,as Indiginous Students,(we also don't know if Foreign Students require extra tuition,or other reasons, that may justify the extra fees) and of course the Universities are expecting to make profits,which is purely Business, and a different point than paying dual prices at Tourist Venues,which is controlled in the UK,and gives the same prices at the Ticket admission booths,and that is all.

It would take another Topic to discuss the rights and wrongs of Student rates for overseas students.

I am glad to see that some people can understand that it is not about the amount in difference that Farangs are charged from Thai's its the fact that there is a different price..

Why do you guys keep repeating the same, tired nonsense? There are plenty of places all over this world that charges non-locals a higher price. In the US, you can bet your ass that non-locals will be paying more for any number of things, including golf, hotels, theme parks, national parks, college tuition....heck, the list goes on and on. So how can you be so "shocked" that there are different prices for non-locals in Thailand? The fact that you didn't even know that proof of residency can get you the Thai price just demonstrates that you are pretty clueless.

As a matter of fact, after 50 yrs living in 5 states, and going to countless attractions, I have never seen higher pricing for international tourists. Everyone pays the same. Sorry to hear about your country.

If you are American (and even if you are not), you surely have seen dual pricing. Non-resident tuition in public schools, community colleges, and universities, hunting and fishing licenses, hotel taxes, sales tax rebates, veterans discounts, pricing for theater rental, there are countless other examples. It's not at all uncommon for admission prices at attractions to be different for locals and non-locals. I can't think of a time when I saw this reflected on the sign at the box office, but it still happens in a slightly different way. When schools arrange field trips in which busloads of kids go to the symphony, schools from within the symphony's municipality might get free tickets, and schools from outside the municipality will be charged. A publicly owned zoo might have a retail price that non-locals pay, and distribute coupons in local newspapers that only locals would be able to take advantage of. When the University of Washington plays football at the University of Oregon, the same tickets will cost more at the UW ticket office than at the U of O ticket office. As I said in my other comment, sometimes dual pricing is reprehensible, but this is not one of those times.

If you are American (and even if you are not), you surely have seen dual pricing. Non-resident tuition in public schools, community colleges, and universities, hunting and fishing licenses, hotel taxes, sales tax rebates, veterans discounts, pricing for theater rental, there are countless other examples. It's not at all uncommon for admission prices at attractions to be different for locals and non-locals. I can't think of a time when I saw this reflected on the sign at the box office, but it still happens in a slightly different way. When schools arrange field trips in which busloads of kids go to the symphony, schools from within the symphony's municipality might get free tickets, and schools from outside the municipality will be charged. A publicly owned zoo might have a retail price that non-locals pay, and distribute coupons in local newspapers that only locals would be able to take advantage of. When the University of Washington plays football at the University of Oregon, the same tickets will cost more at the UW ticket office than at the U of O ticket office. As I said in my other comment, sometimes dual pricing is reprehensible, but this is not one of those times.

Clearly Mr. Featography is wrong. Either he's completely blind to the ways of the world, or he's flatout lying.

Posted 2013-10-08 19:52:27

I drove to Phaeng Waterfall today with the Wife her young sister and 2 of her nieces,nice drive 300k plus round trip,

After a nice peaceful drive we get there and lo and behold 10 baht each for the children 20 baht for my wife and 100 baht for me because I am

Farang...wow this one really gets my back up I just really feel the Thai government makes foreigners unwelcome in Thailand,

Not all foreigners are rich and ok make double the price for someplace like Chiangmai zoo but <deleted> about a waterfall that needs no taking care of

and is generally seen my mostly Thais anyway....wow it really boils my blood and makes me feel unwelcome and when I said to the wife about how I felt she just shrugged it off and said tax for foreigners....grrr...does this Farang pay more for everything get up anybody else's nose?

Venting...!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a thing that many falang react to, me as well. But when thinking about it..... You live here, normally you do not pay any taxes and you do not participate in contributing to the society at all moneywise more than buying stuff for your pension.
So 20 baht is for normal taxpayers that are actually thai´s..... You are NOT a taxpayer and you are a foreigner.... So forget about this stupid thing
about justice in some form.... I think that justice is that we actually pay more than the thai´s-....
Glegolo
  • Like 1

Oh yes it sucks cos you get charged 100b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just for being a farang.

Are you a real thai born and bred in thailand?

No of course not. Just like a thai person wouldn't be considered an american or european person in farang places.

I truly truly feel for your predicament in which you get charged more but somehow you don't mind showing off your differences when it comes to dating thai girls.

Life sucks,

I won't go if I have to pay more for being a farang, but I don't care much about waterfalls or zoos anyway.

You don't pay more. Thais get a discount. Speak Thai to them and tell them you are a Thai citizen but waiting your ID

Thats how i see it too, yes it seems unfair to see a higher price on the window but we need to consider the much lower earnings of most thais.............I always thought of their price as a discounted price, and soon as i usually pay for all then really it is a discount for me too wai2.gif

I can say though from experience i have been to some places with my gf and paid the different price but have also been to some with the gf and her 2 kids and been charged as a thai family, had that in Rayong, when i pulled up to the pay booth on my bike with the gf behind the guy said 120 but when the kids followed on the second bike and he realized we were all together he then smiled politely and only asked for the thai price for all.

I do though find it quite annoying when they do in certain restaurants...........

Edited by pacman32

Not quite same same everywhere, in The UK all visitors are charged the same as UK Citizens,it's against the law to discriminate in this manner!

Unless you're a foreign student where you'll be expected to pay up to £16,000 a year for an undergraduate degree rather than the £9000 that UK and EU students pay.

Ridiculous comparison. Even though our Uni prices seem high they are still subsidized by the government, why should the government subsidize non UK/EU students?

It gets even better if you go to Oxford - £9000 a year if you're a UK/EU student. £27000 a year if you aren't. Dual pricing? What's that then?

I don't get why so many people are angry about it. These parks and monuments need to be maintained, and it does cost money to do that, so which would you prefer? You pay 100b for admission, or the price gets changed to say 40b for everyone, which then excludes some / many of the poorer Thais from being able to visit their own national parks and monuments?

100b is absolutely nothing to us, but for say a rural family of 6, that extra 120b they'd be charged if the prices were changed means alot more to them than me.

Edited by Nautilus05
  • Like 1

I don't get why so many people are angry about it. These parks and monuments need to be maintained, and it does cost money to do that, so which would you prefer? You pay 100b for admission, or the price gets changed to say 40b for everyone, which then excludes some / many of the poorer Thais from being able to visit their own national parks and monuments?

100b is absolutely nothing to us, but for say a rural family of 6, that extra 120b they'd be charged if the prices were changed means alot more to them than me.

I'm with you on this. It really is nothing to get even mildly bothered about, yet alone angry. I guess some people who live here have a lot of time on their hands!