Court dismisses weapons trafficking case against red-shirt Surachai

webfact

Court dismisses weapons trafficking case against red-shirt Surachai
Kesinee Taengkhiao
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Criminal Court yesterday dismissed a weapons trafficking case involving red-shirt defendant Surachai "Rang" Thewarat, seen as close to the late red-shirt leader Maj General Kattiya "Seh Daeng" Sawasdipol.

The court cited insufficient evidence and suspicious investigative procedures as grounds for acquittal.

Surachai was charged following a sting operation in connection with the red protests in 2010.

The court said prosecutors failed to provide witnesses to establish the connection between Surachai and the seized weapons and there were no witnesses who saw Surachai carrying the seized weapons. The court said the sting operation appeared doubtful.

Surachai has been detained at the Bangkok Remand Prison without being released on bail.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-09

Mr Tharit, accompanied by his deputy Pol Col Narat Savetnant, outlined a sting operation conducted jointly by DSI officials and navy marines to buy war weapons from Mr Surachai and four other people in Sattahip district of Chon Buri province on June 10.

The undercover agents bought war weapons including two AK47 rifles, M79 grenade launchers, hand grenades, and assorted ammunition for 60,000 baht from Mr Surachai and other members of the gang, he said http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?35054-DSI-Surachai-involved-in-arms-trade.

These people that bought these weapons must have vanished of the face of the planet then.

Mr Tharit = D.S.I.

Seems as if the worthy Mr. Tharit was or is unable to understand the due process of law. Seems as if he is the epitome of a bumbling fool

Could anyone explain just how is the worthy Mr. Tharit may be considered a suitable person to be in charge of the D.S.I. when we can clearly see the man is ignorant of the operation and due legal process of the law?

Is there a missing link somewhere, is he was he a double agent for the Red Shirts and their sponsor a Thai Sidney Reilly thus his current position is his reward for being a Thai Sidney Reilly and also a keep out of jail card as well as a get out of jail free card for services rendered?

Can some of the expats who've been here a long time, venture an opinion - are things getting worse or has it always been like this?

SSDD Same SH--T Different Day. The CT were doing this 50 years ago, but than there was not the communications ability as today. ph34r.pngph34r.png

Mr Tharit, accompanied by his deputy Pol Col Narat Savetnant, outlined a sting operation conducted jointly by DSI officials and navy marines to buy war weapons from Mr Surachai and four other people in Sattahip district of Chon Buri province on June 10.

The undercover agents bought war weapons including two AK47 rifles, M79 grenade launchers, hand grenades, and assorted ammunition for 60,000 baht from Mr Surachai and other members of the gang, he said http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?35054-DSI-Surachai-involved-in-arms-trade.

These people that bought these weapons must have vanished of the face of the planet then.

DSI Chief Tharit effectively has an entire team buying war weapons from the red shirts with its attendant pallet load of evidence...

all for it to disappear along with no witnesses now.

Nothing dodgy about that.

Insufficient evidence, indeed. bah.gif

Can some of the expats who've been here a long time, venture an opinion - are things getting worse or has it always been like this?

Have had a social and professional relationship with this country for over 30 years and am currently residing here with my family. IMO things are getting worse at an alarming rate especially over the past 4 years and there would appear to be no end in site as to this decline in both social and administrative accountability.

In just about every facet of Government and administration there is a total lack of transparency and zero credibility. Corruption ,both financial and political has become an excepted way of life and there is little recourse to this from a public that simply accept this as a function of the Thai culture existing only in isolation and ignorance. Som nam nah.

Absolutely agree.

• Like 2

15 years ago it wasn't so bad. Yeah some corruption at the top, but not like now where everybody with a badge or a title is corrupt. And then the Sin Clan decided to go from buying politicians to being politicians, and it's gotten worse every day since then, IMHO.

• Like 1

There has always been '' flexibility and creative problem solving '' within the system, however I feel that in my 22+ years here it is the worst it has even been regarding political chicanery, corruption, nepotism and outright contempt for the laws of the land and its peoples .

Very well said khun s. and I'll venture it will continue in this vein as long as this increasingly single party operation runs the show.

Downright frightening future for many.

No ethics, no morals and no conscience.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 2

"No ethics, no morals and no conscience........."

And of course, precious little evidence for this assertion.

In this case Philw there seemed to be plenty of evidence(link post #3), at one time. Not unlike the case with the Red Shirt terroist firing an RPG was dismissed because of an issue about a hat he was wearing or not.

It is amazing how you defend this load of dung government.

• Like 2

Obviously posters can post from a viewpoint, as well as a stack of 'facts'.

Mind you, if the facts originated in Thailand, I personally would be wary about staking my life on them.

Without being confrontational I would like to ask if you are in a position to give any input regarding my question? Are you an expat who's been living here for a long time? I am honestly trying to get a feel for how Thailand is developing.

At the moment there SEEMS to be an attempt to mould the legal process to benefit the party in power and their supporters.

Is Thailand getting worse?

Could the main reason they were released be that they are members of the Red Shirt Brigade, and part of the ruling Dynasty?

How could you think such a thing, that would never happen.Posted Image

Indeed.

A country standing on the foundation of morality.

A government with their prime objective of doing everything they can to improve the lives of the Thai people - especially those in the poorer regions who gave their votes to elect their saviour.

Held on remand since 2010 and then found not guilty?

How the hell did this even get to court? Meanwhile clearly guilty murderers run to Singapore... .

This got to court because at a time, there were military and and DSI agents that directly bought weapons from this guy. Apparently now, these law enforcement people are no longer available to be witnesses in this case.

It really wouldn't matter to you if I listed the evidence (ad infinitum)

supporting my assertion. I figure I will waste my time and you will

maintain your perspective anyway. Pointless.

Please do.

It does matter to me that you list your evidence.

Go ahead, show us.

It really wouldn't matter to you if I listed the evidence (ad infinitum)

supporting my assertion. I figure I will waste my time and you will

maintain your perspective anyway. Pointless.

Please do.

It does matter to me that you list your evidence.

Go ahead, show us.

Is this not good enough?

The undercover agents bought war weapons including two AK47 rifles, M79 grenade launchers, hand grenades, and assorted ammunition for 60,000 baht from Mr Surachai and other members of the gang, he said

http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?35054-DSI-Surachai-involved-in-arms-trade

Edited by dcutman

There are many reasons that people may not want to stick by evidence that was produced during a time when a dubiously installed government was being kept in place by the army and the only policy was discredit those demonstrating against them unsuccessful as that policy was. At that time undercover agents said...

It seems anyway that there is in fact no real evidence and hence the case has collapsed. I wonder if the dude can sue for all the time he was kept locked up for no reason.

Have had a social and professional relationship with this country for over 30 years and am currently residing here with my family. IMO things are getting worse at an alarming rate especially over the past 4 years and there would appear to be no end in site as to this decline in both social and administrative accountability.

In just about every facet of Government and administration there is a total lack of transparency and zero credibility. Corruption ,both financial and political has become an excepted way of life and there is little recourse to this from a public that simply accept this as a function of the Thai culture existing only in isolation and ignorance. Som nam nah.

In the 3 years I have been here I would have to say worse. Today it is in your face with no attempt to conceal it.

Held on remand since 2010 and then found not guilty?

How the hell did this even get to court? Meanwhile clearly guilty murderers run to Singapore... .

No he has run to Dubai

Edited by northernjohn

There are many reasons that people may not want to stick by evidence that was produced during a time when a dubiously installed government was being kept in place by the army and the only policy was discredit those demonstrating against them unsuccessful as that policy was. At that time undercover agents said...

It seems anyway that there is in fact no real evidence and hence the case has collapsed. I wonder if the dude can sue for all the time he was kept locked up for no reason.

So you are saying the DSI director Tharit, the same man now as then is/was lying and fabricated this event?