Student visa type

Hey everyone...Yes I feel stupid for asking. My new company is asking what kind of visa I currently have. They have a full copy as required, but they are asking me if I have an O or B. The only thing I can tell obviously is the NON IMMIGRANT and ED for education. Is there something I'm missing?

I have just done the change from ED to Non-IMM B visa. You will need to leave the country and apply for the NON-IMM outside Thailand. You cannot switch within Thailand. First ED must be cancel by traveling out. Then they will issue you an 90day single entry non-IMM b visa. With this you can then apply for the non-IMM b multiple entry visa in Thailand. Afterwards you are able to apply for your work permit. This was my experience .

Regarding ED you are not allowed to work at any circumstances. At Least this is what I have been told before they issued it to me.

" With this you can then apply for the non-IMM b multiple entry visa in Thailand. Afterwards you are able to apply for your work permit."

You cannot get a multiple entry visa from immigration. An extension and re-entry permit, perhaps?

You can apply for a work permit with any kind of visa, even with a visa exempt entry.

You just won't get it in hand until you've obtained the proper visa or extension.

• Like 1

Unless the labor department will accept the work permit application with your ED visa you will need to go out for a tourist visa to apply for it. And then go out again for the B visa with work permit approval letter and company documents.

actually to my understanding you are allowed to work on a student visa. At least this is what the international students at Mahidol were told (and are doing). Might be limited to part-time work.

I understand this is not true. You are not able to work at all. What you can do is a limited amount of unpaid work experience directly related to your course.

actually to my understanding you are allowed to work on a student visa. At least this is what the international students at Mahidol were told (and are doing). Might be limited to part-time work.

If the labour office allows it and issues a WP it is allowed. But never heard of them allowing it and issuing a WP, than again Mahidol is big enough to have some special considerations for its students.

What a student is allowed to do is work as an intern as part of his/her study, with proper permission.

OK thanks to everyone. I knew I had to change visa and leave, then come back....I just thought it was strange for the Thai boss to ask if I have an O or B when they have a copy of my passport with ED visa in it.....

Perhaps not so strange. An employer is not necessarily familiar with all the abbreviations for visa types used by consulates and he may not know where to look it up. With a printout of the corresponding web page on the site of the MFA or the consulate that issued the visa you could have provided him this information.