Proposed Zoning For Chiang Mai

chanchao

Oh, come on SBK, surely you realize it's a chance for the boys to discuss BGs and Loi Kroh?

Hubby and I live within walking distance of said thanon. We go down there every so often for a big night out, to eat in one of the good restaurants (anyone tried La Terrasse, it's great!), drink some beer (we always see people we know at the Olde Bell), enjoy the energy of the street and marvel at the marketing skills of the young Thai women who work the street. It's a great night out.

Oh, come on SBK, surely you realize it's a chance for the boys to discuss BGs and Loi Kroh?

Hubby and I live within walking distance of said thanon. We go down there every so often for a big night out, to eat in one of the good restaurants (anyone tried La Terrasse, it's great!), drink some beer (we always see people we know at the Olde Bell), enjoy the energy of the street and marvel at the marketing skills of the young Thai women who work the street. It's a great night out.

Absolutely. I was there with my wife last night. Some very nice places, and after warming her up a bit with a cocktail or two, just about any bar there is game. MANY bars there where the total focus is not on dispatching as many girls as possible.

but I must say I am also confused as to the need to dig up a 7 year old thread.

When people start a new topic then people yell at them telling to 'do a search! it's been discussed before!'. If they do and find an existing topic then they get yelled at for digging it up. Can't win. But I can do a new topic if that's better. (It would cover more than just one road; 7 years ago the scene in Santitham for example was rather different than it is now. )

Absolutely. I was there with my wife last night. Some very nice places, and after warming her up a bit with a cocktail or two, just about any bar there is game. MANY bars there where the total focus is not on dispatching as many girls as possible.

When people start a new topic then people yell at them telling to 'do a search! it's been discussed before!'. If they do and find an existing topic then they get yelled at for digging it up. Can't win. But I can do a new topic if that's better. (It would cover more than just one road; 7 years ago the scene in Santitham for example was rather different than it is now. )

I hardly think SBK is "yelling" at anyone Winnie ;)

I hardly think SBK is "yelling" at anyone Winnie ;)

Speaking in general; it's regular posters too (or maybe more so) who blame people either way, especially if it's a newbie who does it, or just anyone not in the 'in' crowd. It looks less than welcoming when the first response is that they should either have searched and dug up a topic, or shouldn't have done that same thing. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I like wandering down there - if people don't like it please don't preach just stay away in your 'sanitized' places and feel superior to the rest of us unfortunates who will be happy to continue to enjoy the beer and company cool.gif

(It would cover more than just one road; 7 years ago the scene in Santitham for example was rather different than it is now. )

:rolleyes: Ain't that the truth! Even 2-3 years ago the scene in Santitham was quite different.

No zoning, indeed no concept of any kind of city planning whatsoever :realangry: Build, build, build...... For every new 50 room dorm building that goes up, that's maybe another fifty motorbikes and a handful of pickups trying to negotiate already drastically overcrowded narrow streets designed when buffalo carts and samlors were the in thing. And don't even think about trying to park! Public utilities are also stuggling to keep up with demand.

Of course, among the major property speculators are the very politicians, and their cronies who are meant to be responsible for the city's development. No suprises there then.

Back on topic..... it would however seem that Santitham's ladies of the night have not changed in 7 years, some look like they've been around considerably longer :crazy:

Santitham? am I missing something? there are bar girls there? pray tell more (for research purposes)

Santitham? am I missing something? there are bar girls there? pray tell more (for research purposes)

:rolleyes: Oh Yes!

As I understand it Santitham was the original Red Light District for Thais long before sex-pats and tourists ever showed up here. Some remnants of that business still exist, along with a plethora of short time hotels.

More recently, Santitham has become student party central with new bars springing up everywhere, especially in and around Santitham Plaza. Most are staffed by young girls in skimpy dresses serving drinks, but I'm sure they can be more enterprising when the rent and tution fees are due ;) There are also several Karaoke type places where the business model is fairly obvious. These places are mainly Thai only clientelle and you won't find much English spoken.

Mostly beer girls, but YES. And many do drink like fish, without having to pay 'lady drink' prices for some stale cola. Instead you just share whatever tipple you have in front of you. ;) Good times.

You'd have to enjoy chatting with younger women though; for a more mature conversation Loi Kroh is a better place.

Mostly beer girls, but YES. And many do drink like fish, without having to pay 'lady drink' prices for some stale cola. Instead you just share whatever tipple you have in front of you. ;) Good times.

You'd have to enjoy chatting with younger women though; for a more mature conversation Loi Kroh is a better place.

Now it's been many years since I've had such conversations, so I could be wrong. But I think that for conversation any less mature than a drunk one with a beer bar lady, I'd have to visit a kindergarden!

Edited by Thakkar

"Intelligent conversation". HUH??? !!!! You'd do better stricking up a conversation with one of the CMU graduates who are clerks at HomePro.

Zoning is an interesting and vital issue for Chiang Mai so I hope this thread sticks to that rather than to where to find bargirls.

"Intelligent conversation". HUH??? !!!! You'd do better stricking up a conversation with one of the CMU graduates who are clerks at HomePro.

Meh; no life experience. Same goes to the very young beer chicks in the more Thai oriented places. I don't mind it some of the time, youth after all is refreshing, but quite often I enjoy talking to someone closer to my own age, with kids in similar ages, etc. And life stories tend to be closer to what the majority of Thailand experiences; can get pretty bluesy.

the best thing they can do is close all the girly bars down move them to an area on the outskirts of town

then normal decent people can enjoy a night out with out hello sexy man i go with you the kind of tourist we get in cm are less and less inclined

to be after that kind of thing in resent years

the scum mostly goes down south thank god as they are the kind of unwanted trash that spoil it for the rest of us

then the few we do get can go to the new areas and drink them selfs into a gutter and get a hooker

they are the ones that course all the problem of noise and fighting so let them do it in there own little hog heaven

loi kroa road is a boil on the backside of c/m and needs cleaning up anyway so lets start with that

walking down it is like being in a cheep zombie movie with a clp of lady boy extras ready to pounce on you do people on holiday

that have saved up all year to come to thailand really want to see that ?

Somebody once said , be very careful because the things that originally attract you to Thailand all to quickly become the things you hate !:thumbsup:

the best thing they can do is close all the girly bars down move them to an area on the outskirts of town

then normal decent people can enjoy a night out with out hello sexy man i go with you the kind of tourist we get in cm are less and less inclined

the scum mostly goes down south thank god as they are the kind of unwanted trash that spoil it for the rest of us

then the few we do get can go to the new areas and drink them selfs into a gutter and get a hooker

they are the ones that course all the problem of noise and fighting so let them do it in there own little hog heaven

loi kroa road is a boil on the backside of c/m and needs cleaning up anyway so lets start with that

walking down it is like being in a cheep zombie movie with a clp of lady boy extras ready to pounce on you do people on holiday

Somebody once said , be very careful because the things that originally attract you to Thailand all to quickly become the things you hate !:thumbsup:

Why on earth would anybody say that?

All the things that attracted me to Thailand keep me here.

Just goes to show that we contributors range from the puritanical to the libertarian or anarchist.

Somewhere in the middle of the muddle (us) are the "live and let live" types.

Still, if there are 454 side streets, soi streets, and roads that lead away from the moat, why go down Loi Kroh at all? My guess is that those headed for Mario's, La Terrace, or Olde Bell etc. don't mind observing what one can find in most cities, world-wide, for we've balance.

Why on earth would anybody say that?

All the things that attracted me to Thailand keep me here.

There's some truth in it I think, especially for people who get here while still a bit younger, and then move on in life. When younger it's great to have all the freedom and the feeling that you can get away with anything. This freedom however applies to everyone, meaning there's not many 'rules' at all in Thailand and everyone is free (relatively speaking, bear with me) to sell unhealthy foods, build or operate unsafe buildings, pollute the air, play noisy karaoke in residential areas until very late and drive drunk. Then when you move on in life and have children, those freedoms quickly become threats, risks and impediments.

(The one step that I personally then don't make is blame Thailand for these; I realize the attraction, it's me who has changed fundamentally, not Thailand.)

but I'm sure they can be more enterprising when the rent and tution fees are due

ohmy.gif what dooooo you mean? I'll go find out...

You'd have to enjoy chatting with younger women though

unsure.gif dam_n that could be a challenge - but I'll try...

Edit: BTW where exactly is this place? the Plaza referred to? are the bars all in one place or scattered off soi's?

Edited by ChiangMaiFun

BTW where exactly is this place? the Plaza referred to? are the bars all in one place or scattered off soi's?

Santitham Plaza is a large, low cost condo development in the center of Santitham. Unusually, the developer has a social conscience and tried to make a nicer place to live than the normal "battery chicken farm" style dormitories around town. They added plenty of parking, a swimming pool, gym, large A/C food court, massage centre, a nice coffee shop with garden and lots of small shops. Real nice :thumbsup:. The shops never made it and gradually the bars crept in to occupy the space. Now virtually everything there apart from the swimming pool and gym is wall to wall bars catering to the student trade :o

If you don't know the area, come from the superhighway and take the road immediately after and alongside the Chiang Mai Grand View hotel. Keep going straight and you'll end up in Santitham Plaza. Or if you come north on Santitham Road from the traffic circle (Haa Yak Santitham) take the first or second left after Lotus Express.

It's shown on this Google Map just ignore the other stuff if not your thing :rolleyes:

BTW where exactly is this place? the Plaza referred to? are the bars all in one place or scattered off soi's?

Santitham Plaza is a large, low cost condo development in the center of Santitham. Unusually, the developer has a social conscience and tried to make a nicer place to live than the normal "battery chicken farm" style dormitories around town. They added plenty of parking, a swimming pool, gym, large A/C food court, massage centre, a nice coffee shop with garden and lots of small shops. Real nice :thumbsup:. The shops never made it and gradually the bars crept in to occupy the space. Now virtually everything there apart from the swimming pool and gym is wall to wall bars catering to the student trade :o

If you don't know the area, come from the superhighway and take the road immediately after and alongside the Chiang Mai Grand View hotel. Keep going straight and you'll end up in Santitham Plaza. Or if you come north on Santitham Road from the traffic circle (Haa Yak Santitham) take the first or second left after Lotus Express.

It's shown on this Google Map just ignore the other stuff if not your thing :rolleyes:

ok thanks (yes the other not my thing but each to their 'own') thanks again

Still the Thai Red-Light district. Try coming in from the other direction. Come from the moat(Icon/Huay Kaew) and goto the traffic light. If you turn left, there are a few of the drive-in motels. Turn to the right, Bann Sow's all along the left upto the TOPS supermarket, creepy short-time hotel on the right.

If you go straight from that light, you enter into the "University" area Thats the up and coming area you are referring to. Lots of energy, good prices, and becoming more "farang-freindly".<-- Don't know if this is a good thing.

:rolleyes: Oh Yes!

As I understand it Santitham was the original Red Light District for Thais long before sex-pats and tourists ever showed up here. Some remnants of that business still exist, along with a plethora of short time hotels.

More recently, Santitham has become student party central with new bars springing up everywhere, especially in and around Santitham Plaza. Most are staffed by young girls in skimpy dresses serving drinks, but I'm sure they can be more enterprising when the rent and tution fees are due ;) There are also several Karaoke type places where the business model is fairly obvious. These places are mainly Thai only clientelle and you won't find much English spoken.