28 Degrees MasterCard - A Heads Up

G'day gang

I have one of these cards (Australia) and found it quite good as there was no

international transaction, currency or annual fees.

Received an email today advising me that as of Jan 01 2014, there will be a

cash advance fee of $4 or 3%, whichever is greater, even if the card is in credit.

So if withdrawing 20 000 Baht, you will be slugged approx 600 Baht for a cash advance.

I think I'll be exploring other options as I think it's a bit rude.

I also have a 28 degrees card which i use a fair bit. I have yet to receive that notification . There is quite a bit of competition in travel cards now with a Virgin/ velocity just emailing me with their offers of frequent flyer points etc so i view that new charge with 28 degrees with some scepticism. . I certainly hope it is not true with 28 degrees as i will have to rethink my usage of that card.

I also have used one of these cards as an ATM debit card, and probably too many other people have, too - to the point where its costing GE Finance serious money.

On purchases, even though GE don't charge for the currency conversion, they at least get a percentage. But people like me using it as a debit card result in a loss on every transaction to GE, because they don't pass on the Mastercard currency conversion fee.

I always thought it was too good to be true.

My next trip to CM will be next month, so I can still use my card as a debit card, but next year I'll bring cash and use the card for purchases only. It's still a good deal.

I also have a 28 degrees card which i use a fair bit. I have yet to receive that notification . There is quite a bit of competition in travel cards now with a Virgin/ velocity just emailing me with their offers of frequent flyer points etc so i view that new charge with 28 degrees with some scepticism. . I certainly hope it is not true with 28 degrees as i will have to rethink my usage of that card.

It's true alright. After receiving the email from them I phoned for clarification/conformation.

It's true alright. After receiving the email from them I phoned for clarification/conformation.

It's also on their website. Link