UPS vs Surge protector desktop PC

damole

IMO in practice both 1 bar of outlets containing a surge protector (relative cheap) and 1 UPS of approx. 1.700 BHT are required for each desktop in use to protect a desktop as locally as possible against the possible consequences of all kinds of electrical in-house problems elsewhere.

I bought the Belkin 8-way adapter from ITCity, on special offer at 690Bt. They are not running mission critical apps so I think for now this will suffice.

I used to work on the trading floor of a big Swiss bank and even with generators, people still lost work because computers crashed, so our mantra was always 'save often'. Most office suites have an autosave feature which will prevent big losses. Web based email might be a different case but as when I am in India I suggest if you're going to write a big email, write it in notepad or Word and save it often.

As I said before the Director uses her Mac Book so power outages are not a problem. If cost was no object I would definitely buy UPSs and maybe in the future that might happen but in a small NGO operating on a tight budget you have to make do with what you can afford. Of course if anyone would like to donate a UPS I'm sure they would be very grateful. ;-)

My main point was hardware protection more than anything. so small spike and surges which might damage equipment are what I want to protect against. I did my first day in the office yesterday and the wall sockets are 2 pin types so no earth/ground. The building has no garden or anyway an earth rod could be installed so I think they are stuck with that.

Thanks again for all the input.

cheers

damole

-----------------------

A surge protector usually will NOT provide them a battery option that will give them time to save critical files in case of a power failure.

An UPS system should have that capability.

An UPS system should provide a built-in surge protection feature too.

So, depending on what they can afford.... trying to save money" could be a case of "penny wise, pound foolish" here.

If they can afford it, the UPS system would probably be a wiser long term choice.

I also agree a UPS is the best way to go. You can get an APC for less then 2000 Baht with surge protection built in. http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/ups/apc/be500r-as-back-ups-es-500va-230v-for-ase-p001375/ A good surge arrester power strip can cost over 1000 Baht. Power strips with surge protection

Be careful however when your order APC units as this is listed as having below plug and know for fact the next higher prices unit uses this type of plug for both input and output so can not be used out of box by most home users.

iec_320_c14_plug.jpg

ITCity are giving a small discount on the Leonics Blue 850v in their current promotion booklet, 1790bt. I think one of the reasons I bought Leonics for my home PC was that I was told there is service in Chiang Mai although not 100% sure now.

I've bought a lot of those APC 500s for the NGO I help at in India but as I'm in Dharamsala in the mountains there is no local service which means a trip to Delhi so now I go with an Indian brand.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 2 months later...