Do you know ?

srn89

This thread is initially for the Ex Pats from the U.K. now living on a full time basis here in Thailand. I am sure that Ex Pats from the U.S.A. and Europe also have similar questions which they would like the answers to.

So please start your own thread for your relevant country.

The subject is relevant to all of us and if anybody knows the factual answers and responds i am sure the article will be of great interest to all of us, If you do not know for sure please do not reply or place immature and childish comments, which would seem sometimes what people do, obviously they have nothing constructive to add to some threads.

I shall use the word ''Wife'', by that i mean anybody who is Legally Married here in Thailand and had registered their Marriage with the British Embassy or Consulate or was Married in the U.K.

Lets start with the Morbid side,

1. In the event of your death does your wife know how to claim the Death Grant which she is entitled to from the U.K. Government ?

2. Does your wife know how to claim a Widows Pension ?

or in fact her own pension when she is entitled to it. Is she aware that even if she has not contributed herself, she still has an entitlement based on her Husbands contributions over the years.

3. Have you left the relevant information with her to either compile the forms herself or for someone to assist her ?

I am sure that most wives would not know your N.I. Number or other information required to be filled in on the forms

The forms can be downloaded from the U.K. Govt Web Site.A good move would be to download and fill in as much as possible,

It will take a lot of pressure off if the need arrises.

4. Assuming that ''you own '' your property, in the event of your wifes death i believe that you have 12 Months to sell the property,

5. Assuming your/her Children are of age to be a Land/Property owner, does that still apply ? or would the property become theirs which should not affect the Ex Pat in any way ( unless they kick you out )

6. If the Children are below the age of being able to own the Land/Property are you still forced to sell, if so what is the Governments ruling in that respect.

I will use the word Visa as its shorter to use each time than Extension of stay, ( so please no corrections )

Assuming that the Ex Pat is on a Married to a Thai, ''Visa'' with the required 400,000 in the Bank or whichever way he Qualifies, in the event of his wife's death would he then have to change to a Retirement ''Visa'' or could he renew on the basis of taking care of the children ? again i suppose dependant of the age of the children and of course possibly a problem in obtaining a Retirement ''Visa' whether it would be insufficient funds or under the 50 years of age which is stipulated for a Retirement ''Visa''

Notwithstanding we are all aware of the multitude of problems some Ex Pats have experienced being Married to a Thai, i am sure that if you have a good wife you will want her to have the correct information should you depart first, speaking for myself and celebrating 28 years of Marriage this month i have tried to ensure that as many i's are dotted and t's are crossed while i am still around. ( Please no comments like'' you only get 10 years for murder'' )

Yes we have had problems over the years but nothing too serious considering the differences in culture etc, but she has taken very good care of me and when the event arises i am confident that i have done all that i can.

So Gentlemen if you can advise correctly please do so.

Please remember that this is for British Ex Pats only.

And should you find spelling mistakes or any other errors i really do not need any petty comments.

• Like 2

Please remember that this is for British Ex Pats only.

Good thing you restricted it so we didn't have crowd control issues.

If you do not know for sure please do not reply or place immature and childish comments,

Mea culpa. (Incidentally, expatriate is one word).

Edited by Suradit69

I have documents locked away so that, should I die before my wife, she will have ready access to my bank accounts, my UK lawyer, my will executors, my family and other necessary things. A friend has agreed to help her make the necessary contats