Teaching contract as an intern (international school) TEFL course chiang mai

Muzza5

Hello everyone,

I am new here and next year I am going to Chonburi on a one year contract at an international school.

After my contract is over I plan on heading to Chiang Mai to do a TEFL course,at the moment I have my sights set on SEE TEFL to do it at. Anyone heard good things from there?

I actually spent a year in Thailand straight out of college on a gap student program. I managed to make my way to Chiang Mai for a few days and then to Pai for around 4 days and absolutely loved it. Does Pai still have its unique Rasta culture? I plan on heading back there again.

I'm from NZ and am in my second year at university so I won't be able to look for a teaching job straight after my Tefl course because I have to come back home and finish off a few university papers but when that is done I plan on coming back to Chiang Mai to teach if I can get a job.

do any of you know what the job market is like in chiang mai?

Thanks

rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif

Hi Puyai, I forgot to mention its just an internship and I am working mainly with the sports department. My degree is in health and physical education and coaching. I still need to do a one year teaching diploma. Plan is to teach English in a few different countries then work at an international school or school in my country as a PE and health teacher or a primary school teacher.

Same thread running in CM forums. Unless you just want to talk about the job market. Remove the TEFL questions because you got enough answers already.

As for the job market. CM is absolutely the worst in Thailand. Without a degree it will be hard but I a assume that you will go back and finish a 3 year degree. I am not sure if Thailand accepts the 3 year NZ degree or if you need a 4 year degree. You should check into that.

You can easily find part time work but pay is usually around 200-250 baht an hour. There are quite a few schools overall but people tend to stay in jobs for many years rather than just a few months like Bangkok. As stated in other thread if your goal is to be a professional teacher in your home country, any EFL teaching experience you get in Thailand will not help you. Some places will even be judgemental of it. If want to be a subject teacher, then teach that subject.

IF you work in bangkok, you could find work as a PE teaching in EP schools. Those jobs are more rare but you would be better suited for them.

Unless it is a Bachelor's Degree, it does not meet the criteria.

Before too many people come out of the woodwork with contradictory remarks, we have teachers in 3 different provinces and have been told 'no' to an Associate degree and anything other than a Bachelor's.

We had a guy who went for his non-Immigrant B and had his degree and transcript for his Master's Degree and was told he needed the Bachelor's Degree, not the Master's Degree. He did get the non-Immigrant, but only after we faxed a copy of the degree to Immigration.

Be careful about continuing your education if what you are going to get isn't something that actually works for you.

You should learn more in one year of teaching than the TEFL. Seems like a waste of time and money, unless you really want the certificate.

Puyai, a lot of places require you to have a face-to-face TEFL certificate of some sort. I would not employ a teacher without one, and not someone with an internet based one either, so the OP should get his TEFL certificate.

"Puyai, a lot of places require you to have a face-to-face TEFL certificate of some sort. I would not employ a teacher without one, and not someone with an internet based one either, so the OP should get his TEFL certificate."

and Who exactly are you?

Anyone who makes blanket statements like that about hiring people, have no business hiring people. Someone with 10+years teaching expereince a degree in education, and excellent recommendations would be passed over for some fresh off the boat newb with a TEFL from flavor of the month? Glad that most schools aren't so ridiculous.

FYI learning EFL teaching strategies isn't that hard. Simply if teacher's utilize best teaching practices, they will be capable in any environment with little adaptation.

• 2 weeks later...