Authentic Indian Curry Spices.

worgeordie

Thank you Fellow-Indian Curry Enthusiasts.

Matter of fact, I bought some of the "Mothers Recipe" brand today and was going to mention it here but you beat me to it. Will be trying it tomorrow with some , dare I say it???? PORK! Also noticed Packs of a Pakistani Mix, which I used to use in Oz and it was pretty good as well. This was at Makro, Hang Dong Road. You're right about stocking-up while available. All too often these things seem to be a "one Hit Wonder" just like Birds Eye brand Baby Garden Peas from Australia. They had them at Rimping (Airport) they sold like crazy and I've been asking for over a year as to when the next lot will arrive. (Might as well ask the brick wall of course!)

Note to: Iamemjay, I'll also try Wororot (haven't heard of it before, can you let me know where it is????)

Cheers,

Torrens54.

Edited by Torrens54

Mama's Kitchen serves up brilliant Indian food. The Thai lady boss moved to Pakistan with her husband, learning from her mother-in-law. You can also order through Meals on Wheels. After you have eaten her fine cooking, you will no doubt wish to order her spice mixes.

8 Charoenprathet Lane 1

Off Changklan Rd, near Galare GH.

Google them for their Facebook page

Mama's Kitchen serves up brilliant Indian food. The Thai lady boss moved to Pakistan with her husband, learning from her mother-in-law. You can also order through Meals on Wheels. After you have eaten her fine cooking, you will no doubt wish to order her spice mixes.

8 Charoenprathet Lane 1

At the moment Mamas kitchen is temporally closed,according to Meals on Wheels,

regards Worgeordie

I've been totally blown away by the packet sauces made by Pataks in my local tesco/lotus.I've been able to buy chicken tikka massala,madras,korma,butter chicken and bombay potatoes.These sauces make 4 curries and about are 69 baht a packet.Just add,Chicken,beef or goat,potato's onion and fresh or tinned tomatoes, garlic and ginger if you like and depending how hot you like it chilli powder.

They've also started doing natural yoghurt not just the sweet one, but also the unsweetened type to which I add onion and cucumber to make a cracking raitha.

I've also just found out that Tops supermarket are doing these sauces about 10 baht cheaper than lotus 59baht and they also sell lime pickle or mango pickle at 119 a jar.

These curries are the nearest to a UK indian takeaway i've ever had but without a ton of oil.I can totally recommend them.Writing this review has made me hungry i'm off to make one now,they only take about 10 minutes to cook but I like to simmer them very low for about a further 30 minutes.

Jing Jing aroy muk muk.

Actually my wife does a japanese curry that is brilliant, makes up a big pot using the two cubes that come in the pack and just throws pork, onion and chunky potato and carrot pieces into it, mate its bloody brilliant and there is plenty left for the next day. Found the local muslim yellow curry paste is pretty good too, havent found any other Indian ones yet will have to loook especially for the pataks, used it in aussie a lot.

Matter of fact, I bought some of the "Mothers Recipe" brand today and was going to mention it here but you beat me to it. Will be trying it tomorrow with some , dare I say it???? PORK! Also noticed Packs of a Pakistani Mix, which I used to use in Oz and it was pretty good as well. This was at Makro, Hang Dong Road. You're right about stocking-up while available. All too often these things seem to be a "one Hit Wonder" just like Birds Eye brand Baby Garden Peas from Australia. They had them at Rimping (Airport) they sold like crazy and I've been asking for over a year as to when the next lot will arrive. (Might as well ask the brick wall of course!)

Note to: Iamemjay, I'll also try Wororot (haven't heard of it before, can you let me know where it is????)

Cheers,

Torrens54.

Worowot is the Chinese Market down by the ping, also known locally as Kad Luang - excuse my spelling if I'm wrong. There is a stall in the covered market called Bombay ran by an Indian family that has a big selection of Indian spices, it's not overly cheap but they do have a good range and you can buy in the quantities that you need.

Edited by anonymouse

Cheers,

Torrens54.

Worowot is the Chinese Market down by the ping, also known locally as Kad Luang - excuse my spelling if I'm wrong. There is a stall in the covered market called Bombay ran by an Indian family that has a big selection of Indian spices, it's not overly cheap but they do have a good range and you can buy in the quantities that you need.

Here are the GPS coordinates for Waroros Market: 18.79011,99.000932

The Indian Spice shop is located in the southeast corner of the market. Actually,there are 2 markets. One building sells stuff like preserved fish. It's the other building you want. There, all kinds of delicacies and teas are sold as well as some fresh fruit and vegetables.

...Just add,Chicken,beef or goat,potato's onion and fresh or tinned tomatoes, garlic and ginger if you like ....

They've also started doing natural yoghurt ...

I've also just found out that Tops supermarket are doing these sauces about 10 baht cheaper than lotus 59baht and they also sell lime pickle or mango pickle at 119 a jar.

Thanks for that info.

Queries: where do you get the goat's meat? surely garlic and ginger is essential and where do you get that in a paste and without any added sugar? finally did you find the unsweetened yoghurt at Tops?

8 Charoenprathet Lane 1

regards Worgeordie

I hope it is no more than temporary because this place seems promising and I for one am impatient to try it.

While not Indian curry,I also make up a big batch of Chinese chip shop curry

(UK style), you can find out how to with Google, anyway I make a big pan full,

then freeze portions in zip lock bags,snap a piece off and make a Chinese

style curry,bit like Thai yellow curry, its also nice with a plate of chips as a

snack.

Indian curry is my favorite,especially Rogan Josh,but i will eat and enjoy

any kind of curry, Indian,Japanese,Thai,Chinese,Malay,bring it on.

regards Worgeordie

8 Charoenprathet Lane 1

regards Worgeordie

I hope it is no more than temporary because this place seems promising and I for one am impatient to try it.

Mamas Kitchen has gone from Meals on Wheels, so it may have closed ?, regards Worgeordie

I stocked up recently at Macro and found them to be a fair bit cheaper than Bombay stall, but only the very common spices. I had to go to Bombay to get Amcoo (powdered mango) and hing (aseofida). The young fella speaks excellent English and is very helpful.

The question is:

Where to get the Green Cardamom?

Where do they grow it? What is Indian anything without Cardamom?

I got my green cardamom pods and powdered cardamom (for when I'm being lazy) from either Tops or Tesco. Rimping also has a good selection of spices. Had to bring black cardamom pods back from Australia as I couldn't get them anywhere here. Ditto ajwain and sumac. My suitcase smells lovely, even though they were well sealed.

Here are the GPS coordinates for Waroros Market: 18.79011,99.000932

The Indian Spice shop is located in the southeast corner of the market. Actually,there are 2 markets. One building sells stuff like preserved fish. It's the other building you want. There, all kinds of delicacies and teas are sold as well as some fresh fruit and vegetables.

^ You mention teas. Do they have Chai tea?? Or does anyone else have?

Does anyone have Tea Tea? Chai is the word for tea in many countries. So what is Chai Tea?

This is simply tea, made with tea.

The good "chai tea" is simmered with herbs, spice and sweet, with milk .... also a generic word for tea sure.

• Like 1