Chulalongkorn University says this year's floods less severe than in 2011

webfact

Knowing the risk and severe disruption that can be caused every year at this time, coupled with the misery to all families within its path, I fail to understand how successive governments fail to tackle the problem so regularly? Is it only corruption, or are they too proud to call in experts from countries such as Holland, where they really do know what they are doing?

Does Holland have the experience to deal with reservoirs that have three functions, providing power, irrigation and flood control?

Personally speaking the last people I'd ask for advice would be those who decided to build their city on water in the first place and I don't mean the Bangkokians.............wai2.gif

I am sure most teenager programmers could write logic code to cover those 3 requirement so that somchai wouldn't need to decide anything.

Knowing the risk and severe disruption that can be caused every year at this time, coupled with the misery to all families within its path, I fail to understand how successive governments fail to tackle the problem so regularly? Is it only corruption, or are they too proud to call in experts from countries such as Holland, where they really do know what they are doing?

Does Holland have the experience to deal with reservoirs that have three functions, providing power, irrigation and flood control?

Personally speaking the last people I'd ask for advice would be those who decided to build their city on water in the first place and I don't mean the Bangkokians.............wai2.gif

Wow smart remark... guess facts and history are not your strong suit. First off we did not build a city on water. Second, the Dutch that live now are not the same as the one who decided to live here. That was 1000 of years ago. But hey don't let the facts come in the way of a bit of bashing.

The Dutch have experience in all these things, remember we don't only build dams in our own country we are world renowned for our knowledge and we don't just study the Dutch problems. Our engineers study also about the problems in other countries.

http://doc.utwente.nl/77885/1/Vinke-deKruijf09applying.pdf

something we did in Romania.

As for rainfall.. today 100mm fell in some places (in one day) Thailand gets 300mm on average in the month (whole month) september, there was only minor flooding some cellars and stuff. Shows that we have it mostly under control.

Interesting report. I worked there under EU PHARE and SAPARD funding for the Ministry of Development from 2002 to 2004. The main problem with Romania is due to melting snow. Half the year Romania is freezing and there is often a sudden rise in temperature that causes a rapid thaw leading to flooding. Whereas in Thailand the problem is the monsoon rains not snow. I cannot remember any frequent torrential rain when I was in Romania, but the snow came down thick and fast. Your figures for rainfall in September, are more than likely for snow. In September there have been typical falls recorded of 500mm with drifts of up to 4.5metres.

Wow smart remark... guess facts and history are not your strong suit. First off we did not build a city on water. Second, the Dutch that live now are not the same as the one who decided to live here. That was 1000 of years ago. But hey don't let the facts come in the way of a bit of bashing.

The Dutch have experience in all these things, remember we don't only build dams in our own country we are world renowned for our knowledge and we don't just study the Dutch problems. Our engineers study also about the problems in other countries.

http://doc.utwente.nl/77885/1/Vinke-deKruijf09applying.pdf

something we did in Romania.

As for rainfall.. today 100mm fell in some places (in one day) Thailand gets 300mm on average in the month (whole month) september, there was only minor flooding some cellars and stuff. Shows that we have it mostly under control.

Interesting report. I worked there under EU PHARE and SAPARD funding for the Ministry of Development from 2002 to 2004. The main problem with Romania is due to melting snow. Half the year Romania is freezing and there is often a sudden rise in temperature that causes a rapid thaw leading to flooding. Whereas in Thailand the problem is the monsoon rains not snow. I cannot remember any frequent torrential rain when I was in Romania, but the snow came down thick and fast. Your figures for rainfall in September, are more than likely for snow. In September there have been typical falls recorded of 500mm with drifts of up to 4.5metres.

Not saying here the Dutch can fix everything, I was just countering the belief that they were only good at water management as it happens in the Netherlands and not in other countries. I am sure I can find more projects in other countries where the expertise was used.

This was something that came up quickly, as I have stated so many times the government here does not care if something works, they want the projects that nets them the most cash in the pocket. They are not doing it for Thailand but to line their pocket, this way you always get sub standard stuff. I would have been good if real experts.. not necessarily Dutch would make the plans and check them.