Isolated Community vs. Nosy (yet friendly) Neighbors?

Nautilus05

Which communtiy would you prefer?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Moved into a new house about a month ago, and I don't really know, but I guess it'd be considered a fairly wealthy area. The previous house was in an older subdivision where I lived for about 3 years. I'd still say it was middle class, but not quite as wealthy as here.

In the old neighborhood, it was more of a townhouse setup, so all the houses were attached to each other. This means we lived fairly close to each other, and we all at least somewhat knew each other, which created a nice community vibe. By no means best friends, but more of a, "hey i'm heading to the market, do you need anything?" type of thing. Or we'd just chat each other up whenever we seen each other, sometimes share some beers, etc. Or if one of the neighbors seen me walking in town, they'd stop and ask if I wanted a lift. Most nights there were always one or two guys hanging out at the local store after working having a couple beers, and you were always welcome to join them if wanted.

I have to admit, I liked that. I remember it took quite a while to get used to, because I couldn't even take a shit without other people knowing. They'd know when I woke up, where I went, if I got a haircut, when I did laundry, what I bought at the market that day, and so on. Anytime someone would see me leaving, I'd always be questioned as to where I'm going. Nonetheless, it did grow on me.

Now in this new neighborhood, it's quite different. It's all detached houses, and quite isolated. Nobody seems to know or talk to each other, or at least nowhere close to the degree as the old neighborhood. The few mom & pop shops are nice enough, but not chatty nice. Not once have I seen anyone hanging out in front of one of the shops having a beer either. I've managed to get a couple smiles out of the next door neighbors, and they seem more than nice enough, but I highly doubt we'll be sharing plates of food together when one of us cooks a special meal, type of thing.

I have to admit, I don't like it here. I'd much prefer my old neighborhood. Anyway, so the question is, which would you prefer?:

1.) Isolation and privacy, like my new neighborhood?

2.) More of a communal atmosphere, where everyone's up in your business?

Edited by Nautilus05

Well I am the exception from the above, I love where I live, everyone knows each other and looks out for each other.

The m/c taxi guys are like your own private security, they know everyone in the soi and where they live, they also know outsiders and who shouldnt be there.

Any odd jobs you need doing, they do it, usually for no more than a bottle of beer, want bills paid, give it to the m/c driver he takes it to 7 and pays it.

Need beer from the local shop, phone them and some kid delivers it, need food to eat at home, phone the local food place, delivered free no charge.

Walking down the soi, I get stopped by car drivers, where are you going, jump in, I do the same to others.

Its not for everyone, I wouldnt have it any other way.

• Like 2

Well I am the exception from the above, I love where I live, everyone knows each other and looks out for each other.

The m/c taxi guys are like your own private security, they know everyone in the soi and where they live, they also know outsiders and who shouldnt be there.

Any odd jobs you need doing, they do it, usually for no more than a bottle of beer, want bills paid, give it to the m/c driver he takes it to 7 and pays it.

Need beer from the local shop, phone them and some kid delivers it, need food to eat at home, phone the local food place, delivered free no charge.

Walking down the soi, I get stopped by car drivers, where are you going, jump in, I do the same to others.

Its not for everyone, I wouldnt have it any other way.

weirdos and your need to be 'social'..... *shudder* 555

When I first came here 15+ years ago I was a lot more social and lived in crowded developments with maybe 25% falangs and I used to get together with them on a regular basis, but it grew old after a while and we moved to the country surrounded by rice fields and pasture with a village and a few shops with locals hanging out drinking beer and whiskey, but I just drive by. Now, my heaven is home and I am at peace with only my family to bother me.

I would love to have a nice community around me. The problem here becomes a lack of boundaries. I dont want people checking up on me, knowing everything about me, and know my schedule.

My ideal situation would be neighbors that are nice enough to invite us over and accept our invitations but at the same time mind their own business. Neighbors I can share a beer with but dont need to worry about the music going until all ends of the night. Neighbors that will keep an eye out for my house when I am away, but not when I am home.

Our current neighborhood is not far from this, more on the isolated side that middle but I will take it. If given the two options above, I choose isolated over disturbed.

Not sure if I fall into either category..maybe other?

I live in a small remote village, maybe 25 houses along a river.

Everyone knows everything about everyone and most are related to each other.

In some ways it is nice, but:

No privacy, people come over and inside any time.

Many start their day at 4:30 Am and have no thought for anyone who may still be asleep.

Banging pots, yelling cross the village to someone ( conversation)

Everything seems to belong to everyone. People will help themselves to all the fruit and vegetables you grow. Never ask to borrow a tool or anything else they think they need. You just notice it missing when you need it and then start searching the village for it.

Rather than walk quietly to your door in the morning and tapping lightly to see if anyone is up yet, they yell at you from about 10 meters away as loud as they can ( yes, you are awake then)

There is also very little to do in a small village, even a store or market run is a journey.

No social events except weddings, funerals and the men drinking Lao Kao all hours of the day and night.

No internet access unless you make that journey to a larger village.

I need to say that these are very good people.

This is just they way they live and have always lived. I am treated no differently from anyone else in the village.

Been doing the small village thing for two years now and feel like I'm ready for something bigger..

Not Bangkok, Pattaya or "that kind of Thailand".

Maybe just a larger village with people to socialize with when you want to, but privacy when you want it and a few conveniences too!

So does that put me into the isolated, communal or other category?

I think I'm in an isolated commune! HELP

Photo attached. It's pretty, but pretty boring too!

post-147745-0-41909500-1381740583_thumb.

Edited by willyumiii