Prostheses for pets - anywhere in Thailand?

• 2 months later...

Update:

The leg has healed, and little Amnat (AKA "Little Lemur cat" for his wide-eyed resemblance to a ring-tailed lemur) is now 2 kg and bursting with energy. And as sweet and loving a cat as I have ever encountered.

However the stump gets red and inflamed when he walks on it as I was warned would occur. As he is still growing I am temporally making do with jerry-rigged neoprene slipper-type devices to cushion it. I have found a place in the US that will make a proper custom made "stump slipper" for him and working on that, as well as long-term solutions: I ultimately found quite a number of places that will do prosthesis for cats, in the US , Canada and Europe, but given cost need to let him finish growing first. I am also investigating possible surgical options including grafts/transplants of paw pads. As it is really the lack of paw pad that is the problem, there is enough foot left for him to otherwise walk just fine. Have some leads in the US though this will of course require bringing him there when I go back in the summer. If it proves feasible and there seems a reasonable chance if success I am inclined to do that as putting things on and off his leg is a bit of a tussle and he would much rather I didn't. Stay tuned.

post-14639-0-84896400-1388840443_thumb.j

As I predicted many moons ago it looks like the little fella has found a new home for good! How's he getting along with your avatar? Glad he is getting better.

Alas, a huge problem. She has made several serious attempts to kill him and I have to keep them separated at all times. When one is inside, the other must be outside and so forth. Doors to rooms always shut. It has complicated life considerably. Plus, she is very, very unhappy...it has really changed her personality. She is in a perpetual sulk and very angry with me.

I adore him but were it not for the leg issue would have homed him elsewhere by now. However even if someone else would take him as he is, I wouldn't trust that a new owner would go through the trouble and expense of getting stump covers and prosthesis or surgery. So I have to keep him until all that is settled.

Just heard back from Vet in Boston who is quoting a success rate of 90% for a paw pad graft and a cost of USD $3K. Ouch, but likely will do it if I can sort out the travel logistics....

• 1 year later...

Update:

This is Amnat Lemur now, 2 years old and almost 4 kg. I did take him to the vet in Boston, who was fabulous and did a stump revision levelling it out and pulling an extra layer of skin over it with a tad of paw pad tissue.

He is now just fine walking on it, no inflammation or irritation at all, though if he is going slow there is a slight limp evident due to that leg being shorter than the other 3. He can really make tracks when he wants to, though, and even manages to climb trees. So much for the many Vets who were sure amputation was the only option (and not just Thai Vets either...)

post-14639-0-11191400-1447159104_thumb.j

post-14639-0-20330900-1447159171_thumb.j

Archived