Surin warns of grave impact on country and region if Thailand fails to tackle corruption

Lite Beer

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree !

As Thailand works towards entering fully into ASEAN, corruption MUST be tackled. It has to start at the top.

If people , particularly the younger generation, see political corruption all around them, and they are the establishment, and those who should set an example, how can one expect people to react?

• Like 1

corruption is built into the system,every time you neen another form or another sgniture it creates the oportuntiy for a bribe,is keeps people working and as citizens we get to enjoy the bennifits sometimes,i say the real problem here is anytime you need to use a taxi a scooter taxi a speed boat ,those are the lowest scum inthailand,i have been robbed beatup,stolen from over bribed on and on,and i still feel the worst experinces for me is,and will always be the the taxi driver...end that and the tourists will at least have a chance to have a good holiday....

Whiter than though.... Always the same rubbish here. Corruption is bad bla bla bla. And institutional corruption back home ? Alright is it? It's human nature, and will never be completely eradicated . How many of you are happy to somchai policeman a quick bung for traffic infringements. Rather than go to the station and pay a fine? All of you right? To say Dr Pit isn't part of the problem suggests to me you have not been round here long. His past isn't all roses and smiles. As far as him being a PM candidate, very little chance. Why? Because the Dems don't like him much. And exactly what has he accomplished in recent years ? Not a lot. Corruption is here to stay, and most foreigners do and will take advantage when they can.

Pointing out that there is corruption elsewhere in the world, when elsewhere maybe ranked 5 on a list and Thailand ranked 95, isn't much of a comparison.

Yes it happens everywhere. YAWN.......

• Like 1

I disagree with the negativity of the posts here thus far.

Firstly I like to know who we are dealing with:

He attended Thammasat University for two years before winning a scholarship from Claremont Mens College, Claremont, California, to complete his B.A. in Political Science (cum laude) in 1972. He then went on to Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A., where he received his M.A. and Ph.D. in 1974 and 1982 respectively, in the field of Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies.

He is a western educated Democrat and could well be posturing for a place in future government. After 5 years as the ASEAN Sec Gen I could not think of a more able candidate to lead this country from the current quagmire. He also has the credentials to broker tangible agreements for the southern provinces.

There is no easy fix, and it will take time, but those of us who are living here for the rest of our lives will no doubt draw comfort in the knowledge that Thailand does have well qualified and highly respected politicians ready to step into the breech.

Well said.

As to more jails, this will not be necessary. The best way to punish corrupt rich people is by taking their money.

However, I am skeptical that anything will change. It will have to get worse before it gets better.

I agree with both of you. He is an educated, experienced and smart man who knows what he talks about but his good intentions are against the fact that the system is corrupt and it is maintained by powerful people who insist to keep it that way.

Dacore. However, I believe the key to any form of change is the WILL to change and frankly there seems very little evidence of that at the moment, on the contrary there seems to be an abundance of Tax Payer's money being thrown about with, I suspect the goal of further proliferation of corruption. But Thailand is not the only Country suffering from professional thieves.whistling.gif

Edited by robertson468

The problem in my opinion is that even though people want to change it, the opposition is a bit strong. There are the average people who suffer from it so they want to change it. Against them, there are those with all the money and all the power that makes it possible to call the shots. So at the end, who is going to win?

• Like 1

Well at least , as i feel it, the small man can have his advantage of bribary and corruption here too. Unlike in the Northern European countries and the U.S.A. where this is specifically kept for the wealthy. A 1000 bath bribe can get you something here. Let's see this work with say 100 euro bribeback home. that won't work at all. Back home they just break your company and effort if you are not one of the íncrowd , it has happened many times that companies go down just because it's taking forever to get lincences or permits, if the regarding officilas don't want you to succeed.

Edited by myluckythai

Whiter than though.... Always the same rubbish here. Corruption is bad bla bla bla. And institutional corruption back home ? Alright is it? It's human nature, and will never be completely eradicated . How many of you are happy to somchai policeman a quick bung for traffic infringements. Rather than go to the station and pay a fine? All of you right? To say Dr Pit isn't part of the problem suggests to me you have not been round here long. His past isn't all roses and smiles. As far as him being a PM candidate, very little chance. Why? Because the Dems don't like him much. And exactly what has he accomplished in recent years ? Not a lot. Corruption is here to stay, and most foreigners do and will take advantage when they can.

There is some corruption everywhere of course, the same way that burglary exists everywhere but in Thailand corruption is ingrained into society at every level. That is certainly not the same as every other country and to suggest otherwise is nonsense. not sure where you are from but when was the last time you could pay off a policeman back home for a traffic violation rather then getting a ticket or even being arrested? For me never, it would never happen,, you would be arrested for trying to bribe an officer of the law.

I don't bung policeman money because I don't break the law. if you do run a red light you should be fined in accordance with the law and that's that. if you are drunk behind the wheel you should not have an option to drive off after bunging the police some cash, primarily because you drive off up the road and could end up killing someone.. So for me they should enforce, simple as that and i wont miss the corruption of paying off a copper because i dont give them a cause to hassle me in the first place.

• Like 2

Only one way to tackle corruption here... A very severe bout of The Black Plague.. and start again. Thank God we are westerners and can just sit back and watch them choke this country to death.. we can leave whenever we want.. A mighty good time was had by all.... w00t.gif We welcome the Grim Reaper and Dr Doom...

Or whenever they say........

He attended Thammasat University for two years before winning a scholarship from Claremont Mens College, Claremont, California, to complete his B.A. in Political Science (cum laude) in 1972. He then went on to Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, U.S.A., where he received his M.A. and Ph.D. in 1974 and 1982 respectively, in the field of Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies.

He is a western educated Democrat and could well be posturing for a place in future government. After 5 years as the ASEAN Sec Gen I could not think of a more able candidate to lead this country from the current quagmire. He also has the credentials to broker tangible agreements for the southern provinces.

There is no easy fix, and it will take time, but those of us who are living here for the rest of our lives will no doubt draw comfort in the knowledge that Thailand does have well qualified and highly respected politicians ready to step into the breech.

Well said.

As to more jails, this will not be necessary. The best way to punish corrupt rich people is by taking their money.

However, I am skeptical that anything will change. It will have to get worse before it gets better.

The best way to punish corrupt rich people is by taking their ill gotten money.

A bold statement chock full of unpleasant and inconvenient truths. So everyone in the room raises his glass, mutters "here here", and goes right back to filling his plate and stuffing his piehole... Just a brief interlude for public consumption. Oh, please pass the roast pork.

I am all in favour of stamping out corruption so long as it does not affect me! I did not realize that Thailand had a problem with corruption anyway! It would make a good game show on TV, make a note of that and sell the idea to the networks and as for tackling, I was never very good at football.

Next.

Edited by nong38

I think people are being too negative. Corruption is rife yes, and has been for as long as I can remember, but corruption also ensures that Thailand continues to be a third world country which has a lot of benefits such as no law enforcement, relatively cheap labour and a steady supply of bargirls :-)

negative maybe...but if the thai people could see past their noses or beyond tomorrow they would wish for something different.

• Like 1

Thailand's corruption is not the number one issue that has been holding the country back. The real problem with Thailand in the recent past has been the lack of political stability.

What ever we think of the present government we are experiencing a period of moderate stability. If the political parties that lost the last election parties would honor their vows made when becoming MP's and behave like a credible opposition the nation would stabilise and get on with the much needed development projects on hand.

You don't need much more than a single working brain cell to be able to see that what this gentleman says is correct, if something is not done to tackle corruption then Thailand may fall into financial collapse. Of course those who benefit the most from corruption would simply be able to flee to another country like rats deserting a sinking ship, and I am afraid that so long as those who benefit the most from corruption are allowed to remain in a position to benefit, nothing will change. Lets hope the media take up his challenge and start reporting on corruption.

Well said.

No problem with Thaksin at the controls it is full speed ahead. It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

I think people are being too negative. Corruption is rife yes, and has been for as long as I can remember, but corruption also ensures that Thailand continues to be a third world country which has a lot of benefits such as no law enforcement, relatively cheap labour and a steady supply of bargirls :-)

What a sad and yet profound. Statement , think only of yourself and if that is limited to a supply of bar girls I would suggest you could do well in politics here.

• Like 1

We all know there's corruption. A ten year old could have said the same, though perhaps less eloquently. In general, Thais just accept it as a fact of life, like they accept dogs barking all night, or loud noise and smoggy streets.

Next step: Name and Shame. ....and then possibly lawsuits, though it's tough to convict anyone, if neither party tells any truth, and the justice system is as firm in its resolve, as a sheet of wet newspaper. Social status is also a giant factor - re; whether particular classes of people get prosecuted.

He is not announcing there is corruption. That is not the purpose of his speech. He is saying if Thailand dosen't do some thing about it there will be bad repercussions.

It is time Thailand gives up on being the hub of every thing and starts to look towards being a corruption free center. As far as world wide goes in regards to corruption Thailand is tied for 88 out of about 180 countries.

As it sits now any other country in the AEOSN sorry if I got that wrong "senior week". all the other countries joining it know that Thailand is doing nothing to halt it or even try to slow it down. Where as several countries are trying to slow it down. The other countries are not dumb. That is a Thai fallacy that they keep telling themselves over and over again. The other countries know what is going on in Thailand..

You don't need much more than a single working brain cell to be able to see that what this gentleman says is correct, if something is not done to tackle corruption then Thailand may fall into financial collapse. Of course those who benefit the most from corruption would simply be able to flee to another country like rats deserting a sinking ship, and I am afraid that so long as those who benefit the most from corruption are allowed to remain in a position to benefit, nothing will change. Lets hope the media take up his challenge and start reporting on corruption.

...and only one cell more to realize that it would probably be easier to wipe out TB, cancer, and world hunger with a wooden spoon and duct tape than to eliminate the spider web of graft-based relationships and processes from Thailand. Do you expect police and other govt functionaries to suddenly decide to forego their "extra incomes" and start living on their, in many cases, inadequate incomes? Do you expect wealthy families to suddenly decide they will do without the privileges and preferences their money buys them? Contractors to give up the lifestyles their malfeasance pays for? Politicians to stop buying votes and dispensing "favors", and possibly abandon their careers and power? The list is endless, and all these things intertwine. A world free of all this is quite possibly a world most thais today would not know their way around in.

And for your trouble in trying to raise thai awareness, don't expect much more than outraged cries of protest over foreign interference in their "internal affairs". I'm not sure that thais who speak out and achieve any traction can even expect their own safety...

Edited by hawker9000

There is some corruption everywhere of course, the same way that burglary exists everywhere but in Thailand corruption is ingrained into society at every level. That is certainly not the same as every other country and to suggest otherwise is nonsense. not sure where you are from but when was the last time you could pay off a policeman back home for a traffic violation rather then getting a ticket or even being arrested? For me never, it would never happen,, you would be arrested for trying to bribe an officer of the law.

I don't bung policeman money because I don't break the law. if you do run a red light you should be fined in accordance with the law and that's that. if you are drunk behind the wheel you should not have an option to drive off after bunging the police some cash, primarily because you drive off up the road and could end up killing someone.. So for me they should enforce, simple as that and i wont miss the corruption of paying off a copper because i dont give them a cause to hassle me in the first place.

You do not need to give the cops a reason to extract money from you no matter how pure you are. I was stopped in sukhumvit BKK for talking on my mobile phone they wanted a 1000 baht even though I had no phone in my truck! my white face was the reason! I let the cops search my truck and then started to. Strip off in the road when they saw me start to pull down my pants they told me to F off and tried to hide me getting dressed. my answer was getting tinted windows no more problems.

• Like 1

Thailand's corruption is not the number one issue that has been holding the country back. The real problem with Thailand in the recent past has been the lack of political stability.

What ever we think of the present government we are experiencing a period of moderate stability. If the political parties that lost the last election parties would honor their vows made when becoming MP's and behave like a credible opposition the nation would stabilise and get on with the much needed development projects on hand.

O good grief try to post some thing close to the truth rather than deny it.

If the PTP who won the last election would honer there vows then Thailand would be a much better place. Instead they have made baseless speeches about ending corruption as they in fact increase it. They have proclaimed it is OK to lie if it makes the people feel good. they have devoted a terrific amount of time trying to change the constitution so the biggest corruptest of them all can not get charged with corruption because they have made it legal.

What much needed projects are they holding the PTPredshirts back from. They are doing there best to stop the government from stealing the money from the tax payers. That is what a credible opposition does while on the other side of the isle the existing government does there best to fill their personal pocket with money. They are supposed to be there to help Thailand not them selves.

If the government is so stable how come there armed thugs are allowed to hold rallies while the police act as parking attendants and at the opposition rallies the police put up barb wire to keep the people out and then physically with hold them.

Your knowledge of politcal stability would probably say Egypt and Syria are political stable.

• Like 1