Vios, Fiesta, or Pickup Truck?

ChrisB87

So, I'm gonna buy a car next year.

At the moment it is between the Toyota Vios, Ford Fiesta, or some kind of pickup truck.

I was at first thinking the truck because we are gonna live in Isaan, but then i though it may be pointless since the roads are excellent (we are not that far from the city and i am doubtful if we will use the big bit-at-the-back regularly).

I have driven the Vios and like it.

But now everyone is talking about the Fiesta.

Fiesta and Vios are much the same price to buy (new). Pickups usually a couple of hundred thousand more.

But i wanna know what you guys would pick? and why?

I really just want a reliable car which is cheap on consumption.

With regards to fuel: i would go for LPG or Natural Gas (CNG), where possible.

Thankswai.gif

Edited by ChrisB87

Get a new diesel pickup truck, fill it up once a month and just drive it, sturdier, high line of sight and easily repairable anywhere in Thailand.

Thanks, how much would a car like that cost to run per month (assuming i only fill up once)?

The roads are excellent in Isaan ?..............rolleyes.gif alt=rolleyes.gif> ..................facepalm.gif alt=facepalm.gif>

Hehe, yes actually. We are a half hour drive from the city on really smooth roads (a damn sight better than Scottish roads after winter, that's for sure!)

It all depends, are you going touring in it? I did in my ex honda city and I felt very small in it up in Isaan amongst all those pick-up trucks.

I fell more safe in my new ranger and other cars/trucks give me more room too.

Have you considered the new ford ecosport with the award winning 1lit 3 cyl engine, small suv, getting good reviews, see topic in motor forum about it.

If you like the viros why not try the honda city, a better ride all around than a viros, looks better too.

• Like 1

Get a new diesel pickup truck, fill it up once a month and just drive it, sturdier, high line of sight and easily repairable anywhere in Thailand.

Thanks, how much would a car like that cost to run per month (assuming i only fill up once)?

I fill up my pickup truck once a month and it costs me 1,500 baht and that's all I spend on motoring each month since I've got three years/100k miles warranty, an oil change/service every six months costs around 2.500 and a car wash every two weeks at 50, that's it. Compared to my fifteen year old Lancer that used to guzzle gas and costs around 3k every month for some kind of repair, it's all quite idyllic.

CNG in Isaan doesn't seem like the most logical choice, unless you like planning your trips around filling up, and like queuing at gas stations full of 18 wheelers ;) LPG's day as a cheap fuel are slowly coming to an end too.

A 4-door pickup is going to cost you around 73K/year to fuel.

A VIOS is going to cost around 71K/year.

A 1.0L Ecoboost Fiesta around 50K/year

Subtract up to 20% from these if you're going to make an effort to drive economically, add about 20% if you're going to pretend you're Vettel.

I reluctantly bought a double cab truck three years ago. Turns out to be the best decision ever.

Drives as good as a car.

Better vision.

Really handy for general shopping, never mind the big purchases such as a fridge etc.

Unlimited sets of golf clubs go on the deck.

Flooded roads are a breeze.

Economy is great.

Up-country roads are no problem with 4WD - I've had mine nearly vertical in low ratio on dirt roads and they just keep on chugging. OK, maybe 30 degrees, but you get the idea.

If somebody offered me a new Fiesta for my truck, I'd never swap. I don't love it, in fact I think most trucks look hideous - but practicality wins the day in Thailand.

• Like 2

CNG in Isaan doesn't seem like the most logical choice, unless you like planning your trips around filling up, and like queuing at gas stations full of 18 wheelers wink.png LPG's day as a cheap fuel are slowly coming to an end too.

Subtract up to 20% from these if you're going to make an effort to drive economically, add about 20% if you're going to pretend you're Vettel.

Am not sure about your cost of fuel estimates, my 4 door pickup costs me 2k a month at worst hence 24 per year. One tank gives me 900 kms which is ample for my monthly needs, three times that (your estimate) wuld mean a person is driving 30k plus a year.

CNG in Isaan doesn't seem like the most logical choice, unless you like planning your trips around filling up, and like queuing at gas stations full of 18 wheelers wink.png LPG's day as a cheap fuel are slowly coming to an end too.

Am not sure about your cost of fuel estimates, my 4 door pickup costs me 2k a month at worst hence 24 per year. One tank gives me 900 kms which is ample for my monthly needs, three times that (your estimate) wuld mean a person is driving 30k plus a year.

80 x 365 = 29,200 :)

Thanks guys! Some interesting responses.

Yes guzzi850m2, i would consider the EcoSport.

So it seems like most are recommending a pickup.....so which brand and model would you recommend? with efficiency and reliability in mind (i am totally clueless about this stuff blink.png )

Thanks again!biggrin.png

I have both a small car and a pick up. When I drive to Bangkok or Pattaya I drive the pick up. It bounces out of hole and uneven highways where as the small car would probably lose the tire. Personal choice. The small car Yaris is used around town and the village only where I know the roads well.

Decide whether you want a petrol or diesel model, two or four door, two or four wheel drive, manual or automatic, then buy a Toyota Vigo :), highest resale value and easily repaired anywhere at little cost, expect to spend anywhere between 600k and 1 mill., based on your spec.

• Like 1

Decide whether you want a petrol or diesel model, two or four door, two or four wheel drive, manual or automatic, then buy a Toyota Vigo smile.png, highest resale value and easily repaired anywhere at little cost, expect to spend anywhere between 600k and 1 mill., based on your spec.

Or buy an Isuzu for all the same reasons if you do not a ten year old platform.

Your Missus won't care about the model of the truck you buy, but I guarantee she'll have an opinion about the colour and when is the most auspicious day to buy it.

She'll go and consult the fortune tellers about what day to buy the truck as well as the colour. She'll come back with an answer along the lines of "if you want a black truck, must buy on a Thursday, or if you want a blue truck, must wait until after xx date. Fortune teller says must not buy a brown truck ever".

Oh, and in your budget you'd better allow a thousand baht to pay for the blessing of your new purchase at the local Wat, complete with the dots and gold sheet on the roof lining. If you can, make sure the Monk isn't too blind and manages to put them in the centre of the rooflining, otherwise looks a bit dodgy.

And NO, this is not a joke. facepalm.gif