Can Eco cars last 10 years ?

thairookie

I have been waiting for Thailand to release the new Yaris. It's been confirmed that the Thai Yaris will adopt the China Yaris blueprint. However, the engine capacity, being eco, will be lowered to 1.2L. The new Yaris looks good, almost as big bas Jazz, if not, bigger. Though bigger, it has only 85 bhp, 6 or so less than the eco Swift.

What are the likely problems with eco cars ?

2014-Toyota-Yaris-Left-Rear-Angle-Shangh

I don't have much knowledge concerning the longevity of ECO cars but did buy a three cylinder (I did not know anyone made three cylinder cars before this purchase) Nissan Altera last year and so far, so good.

Pros - It has a huge back seat for the family, is small enough for the narrow in-city roads, and has plenty of power for city driving. Of course with only three cylinders, the gas mileage seems to be excellent.

Cons - as one would expect with a three cylinder, when making those U-turns or entering busy roads with the highway traffic blasting along, I must give myself plenty of room to pick up speed, flooring the gas pedal does little except make me feel better - especially with a back seat full of people.

It has a feature where when the car is stopped at a light or stop sign the engine shuts off, then when I hit the gas it starts back up again. I really dislike that feature and luckily there is a disable rocker button on the dash, so each time I start the car I automatically hit that button. It just seems to me, at least, that causing the starter to crank over at each stop sign and stop light is cutting down the life span of that piece of equipment, and with only three cylinders the savings in gas is negligible.

Other than that, while it is a bit utilitarian, each time I get in, it starts up and the a/c works just fine. It is comfortable and with airbags, provides a modicum of safety, and so far, it meets my needs.

IMHO it takes a certain amount of power to move x amount of mass against x amount of wind resistance. The power is derived from burning the gas.

At speeds more than 40 kmh wind resistance increases almost logarithmically every additional 10 kmp.

Whether you floorboard the smaller engine or loaf the bigger engine, the gas mileage won't vary much. The only way to save the gas with

either engine is to accelerate slowly and drive slowly, and reduce weight and wind drag where possible.

I think I'd run the guts out of that little engine, burning just as much gas, and assuring its early demise.

Edited by NeverSure

I can't think of a single car that has components designed to last 10+ years. Even the door locks on a top-spec S Class Benz are only designed for an 8-year lifetime.

Most series production engines are designed with an 8,000 hour lifetime target.

Yes, you can keep a car running for 10 years, if you're willing to fix it when it breaks, but no, they're not designed to last that long.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

I can't think of a single car that has components designed to last 10+ years. Even the door locks on a top-spec S Class Benz are only designed for an 8-year lifetime.

Yes, you can keep a car running for 10 years, if you're willing to fix it when it breaks, but no, they're not designed to last that long.

I must disagree. The last four or five cars I have owned have lasted at least 10 years each. I just sold a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser which was the finest vehicle I have ever owned. 13 years and still going strong with no mechanical issues and not even a squeak. We just did the normal maintenance and have had the same experience with virtually all of our cars.

We have been diehard Toyota owners during that period because of the quality in each of our vehicle purchases. We drive each off the dealer's lot and that is the last time they see us unless they are offering some great deal on scheduled maintenance.

I expect any new car I own to last at least 10 years with no mechanical issues as a basic requirement for ownership.

I think there was a mention somewhere that cars over 5 yrs are not offered 1st class insurance any longer. So, for me, that would be a serious drawback to keeping a car that long in Thailand. Not to mention that repairs will be costlier after the warranty is expired.

I think there was a mention somewhere that cars over 5 yrs are not offered 1st class insurance any longer. So, for me, that would be a serious drawback to keeping a car that long in Thailand. Not to mention that repairs will be costlier after the warranty is expired.

Why? The value has gotten far less, so also the financial risk has reduced significantly, hence far less use for 1st class insurance.

• Like 1

Why? The value has gotten far less, so also the financial risk has reduced significantly, hence far less use for 1st class insurance.

Parts availability and price, more chance the vehicle will be unroadworthy, more chance of fraud.

Parts availability and price, more chance the vehicle will be unroadworthy, more chance of fraud.

Yes, that is from an insurers perspective.

But my question was to freemindxs, who said that lack of 1st class insurance options would be a reason to sell a car after 5 years.

Doesn't the word "eco" suggest that it is not made to last ?

As for the resale value of eco cars, I wonder how the 100,000 baht subsidy would impact on the resale value. Especially so if the car is not an "eco", as in Ford Fiesta and Mazda 3.

What would be the resale value of two similar models in 5 years' time - Fiesta vs Fiesta - one bought with subsidy, and the other without ?

Doesn't the word "eco" suggest that it is not made to last ?

As for the resale value of eco cars, I wonder how the 100,000 baht subsidy would impact on the resale value. Especially so if the car is not an "eco", as in Ford Fiesta and Mazda 3.

What would be the resale value of two similar models in 5 years' time - Fiesta vs Fiesta - one bought with subsidy, and the other without ?

Resale value for bought with/without subsidy will be the same, why would it be any different? The buyer will not even know which car had the tax rebate (maximum 100.000 Baht, quite often less) and which did not.

Eco suggests it is economical in use.

• Like 1

Yes, that is from an insurers perspective.

But my question was to freemindxs, who said that lack of 1st class insurance options would be a reason to sell a car after 5 years.

The real risk (and the reason to go with a 1st class) is more the risk to third parties and the coverage you get with 1st class.

I would not want to be caught out in TH with a 3rd class or 2nd class insurance, even though I have a liability insurance provided by my company (but horribly complicated to put to work in TH, considering it is a French company).

I must disagree. The last four or five cars I have owned have lasted at least 10 years each. I just sold a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser which was the finest vehicle I have ever owned. 13 years and still going strong with no mechanical issues and not even a squeak. We just did the normal maintenance and have had the same experience with virtually all of our cars.

We have been diehard Toyota owners during that period because of the quality in each of our vehicle purchases. We drive each off the dealer's lot and that is the last time they see us unless they are offering some great deal on scheduled maintenance.

I expect any new car I own to last at least 10 years with no mechanical issues as a basic requirement for ownership.

So you're saying that Toyota designed your car to last 13 years, and all component manufacturers were also given that spec? :D

A lot of cars are designed to provide 7 years of reliable service if maintained properly.

Be honest, do you really think the car companies want your car to last indefinitely? They make money on supplying spare parts but they certainly don't carry parts indefinitely!

All those buzzy little shopping trolleys doing low annual mileage should last 10 years. The high mileage ones..........

A lot of cars are designed to provide 7 years of reliable service if maintained properly.

Be honest, do you really think the car companies want your car to last indefinitely? They make money on supplying spare parts but they certainly don't carry parts indefinitely!

All those buzzy little shopping trolleys doing low annual mileage should last 10 years. The high mileage ones..........

Yep. Every part of a car is designed with a specific service life in mind - from routine maintenance items like air filters, brake pads and tires, to full-service-life components like piston rings, door locks, dash plastics and paint. Over engineering any part serves no purpose, and would just increase production costs and consequently retail prices.

This doesn't mean that you car that was designed with a 8-10 year or 8000 hour service life will all the sudden just fall apart, and it also doesn't mean you can't replace or repair failed parts to keep it on the road, but you sure can't expect a component to keep working flawlessly beyond it's engineered service life either ;)

Just get a Volvo. whistling.gif

attachicon.gifEco Volvo.jpg Eco Volvo.

attachicon.gifVolvo for life.jpg Volvo for Life.

Made in China. laugh.pngbiggrin.png

Don't you mean Geely! 55555

That is what I said. biggrin.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geely

I urge all motoring enthusiasts to NOT open that link. It could lead to a premature death....that is if the old saying "Laugh till you die" has any semblance of truth in it!