Can Eco cars last 10 years ?

thairookie

I can't think of a single car that has components designed to last 10+ years. Even the door locks on a top-spec S Class Benz are only designed for an 8-year lifetime.

Most series production engines are designed with an 8,000 hour lifetime target.

Yes, you can keep a car running for 10 years, if you're willing to fix it when it breaks, but no, they're not designed to last that long.

What the heck?

Every car I ever owned back in the USA was more than 10 years old (usually more than 20 years old), and all were tip-top functional. My car here is 30 years old, and still runs and drives fine.

Assuming you've been here in TH at least 5 years, and you were driving cars for say at least one decade back in the USA, that makes these old beaters you're citing things from 70's, maybe 60's maybe even 50s or 40s. Technology, business savvy, raw material pricing, engineering processes, design & test tools and techniques, etc etc have changed somewhat since then :)

The OP is asking about how ling their *new* car is going to last. I'm responding to that, I'm not talking about something that was designed 30-60 years ago ;)

Farang sure are funny sometimes :D

Assumption is the mother of all F*** ups ;)

From an engineering perspective, manufacturers could easily built a car that lasted easily 20-25 years and from personal experience I know that the good old Toyota Starlet 1.5 diesel that I had over 15 years with about 400.000 km's on the odometer was still in perfect condition when I sold it. Maintenance obviously plays a big role but from an economical perspective it doesn't make sense see your car dealer only twice in your life unless they charge THB 2 Million for a Vios.

I believe the planned obsolescence for eco-cars is around 130.000 - 160.000 km max (about 8-10 years in city use) , these little engines need to work hard and all the other components literally feel like they have a certain short-life-time built into them, like for instance the Mirage.

In this respect I'm sure certain brands, allow me to speak freely, like Honda and Toyota do have a longer built-in lifetime into than other brands (no names ;) At least this is what I can see daily with my own eyes on the Thai roads. The question from the OP is difficult to answer as "years" not say so much and we'd better stick to mileage.

6qgq.jpg

duqy.jpg

• Like 2

Assumption is the mother of all F*** ups wink.png

From an engineering perspective, manufacturers could easily built a car that lasted easily 20-25 years and from personal experience I know that the good old Toyota Starlet 1.5 diesel that I had over 15 years with about 400.000 km's on the odometer was still in perfect condition when I sold it. Maintenance obviously plays a big role but from an economical perspective it doesn't make sense see your car dealer only twice in your life unless they charge THB 2 Million for a Vios.

I believe the planned obsolescence for eco-cars is around 130.000 - 160.000 km max (about 8-10 years in city use) , these little engines need to work hard and all the other components literally feel like they have a certain short-life-time built into them, like for instance the Mirage.

In this respect I'm sure certain brands, allow me to speak freely, like Honda and Toyota do have a longer built-in lifetime into than other brands (no names wink.png At least this is what I can see daily with my own eyes on the Thai roads. The question from the OP is difficult to answer as "years" not say so much and we'd better stick to mileage.

6qgq.jpg

duqy.jpg

Engines are always designed on the basis of hours - and consumers also think this way even though they might not realize it, that's why "highway miles" are better than "city miles".

Other parts like hinges, locks, buttons, starter motors etc are designed the last a number of activations/cycles, then there's other parts that are purely based on time (paint, body pressings, chassis etc). Tires are generally designed around mileage though :)

When it comes to engines, there are some Chinese companies that only target 4000 hours, but if you buy Jap, Euro or American you can be pretty sure the design life is 8000 hours. Most other non-maintenance-item components have a design life of 7-10 years. In some cases, designing something to last at least 7-10 years means it lasts practically forever anyway, in other cases it means that's exactly when it fails ;)

The question of the OP is if eco cars can last 10 years. The fact that engines are engineered to last about 8000 hours doesn't say much to the average joe as the odometer still shows km's and not hours. If you buy a second hand car you not ask how many hours it has run but instead look at the mileage. I bet those old Corolla Altis Taxis with 700.000 km on the clock did run a little more than 8000 hours.. Give a taxi driver a Mirage and guaranteed he will not make it to 8000 hours (250 km a day, 8 hours a day, 1000 days = 250.000 km's)

New studies in Europe also show that the reliability of cars, yes even the Germans, with their small displacement forced induction engines are prone to premature failure compared to their 2.0 L NA Japanese counterparts.

Assumption is the mother of all F*** ups wink.png

In this respect I'm sure certain brands, allow me to speak freely, like Honda and Toyota do have a longer built-in lifetime into than other brands (no names wink.png At least this is what I can see daily with my own eyes on the Thai roads. The question from the OP is difficult to answer as "years" not say so much and we'd better stick to mileage.

6qgq.jpg

duqy.jpg

Engines are always designed on the basis of hours - and consumers also think this way even though they might not realize it, that's why "highway miles" are better than "city miles".

Other parts like hinges, locks, buttons, starter motors etc are designed the last a number of activations/cycles, then there's other parts that are purely based on time (paint, body pressings, chassis etc). Tires are generally designed around mileage though smile.png

When it comes to engines, there are some Chinese companies that only target 4000 hours, but if you buy Jap, Euro or American you can be pretty sure the design life is 8000 hours. Most other non-maintenance-item components have a design life of 7-10 years. In some cases, designing something to last at least 7-10 years means it lasts practically forever anyway, in other cases it means that's exactly when it fails wink.png

I know of a Thai who has a BMW series 5, bought 13 years ago. It is back in garage about every 2 weeks.

Comparatively, the CRV bought at the same time is still pretty worry-free even though maintenance is only carried out irregularly.

I would not vouch for the same reliability of a current-day CRV, though, seeing how their panels fold with a single finger...

I can't think of a single car that has components designed to last 10+ years. Even the door locks on a top-spec S Class Benz are only designed for an 8-year lifetime.

Most series production engines are designed with an 8,000 hour lifetime target.

Yes, you can keep a car running for 10 years, if you're willing to fix it when it breaks, but no, they're not designed to last that long.

I must disagree. The last four or five cars I have owned have lasted at least 10 years each. I just sold a 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser which was the finest vehicle I have ever owned. 13 years and still going strong with no mechanical issues and not even a squeak. We just did the normal maintenance and have had the same experience with virtually all of our cars.

We have been diehard Toyota owners during that period because of the quality in each of our vehicle purchases. We drive each off the dealer's lot and that is the last time they see us unless they are offering some great deal on scheduled maintenance.

I expect any new car I own to last at least 10 years with no mechanical issues as a basic requirement for ownership.

I think there was a mention somewhere that cars over 5 yrs are not offered 1st class insurance any longer. So, for me, that would be a serious drawback to keeping a car that long in Thailand. Not to mention that repairs will be costlier after the warranty is expired.

My car is now 8 years old and in great condition ,i have yet again been offered 1st class insurance this year. and with a value the same as last year.

as for an eco car ,well you can put it where the sun don't shine.bah.gif

Edited by i claudius
  • Like 1

..these old beaters you're citing things from 70's, maybe 60's maybe even 50s or 40s. Technology, business savvy, raw material pricing, engineering processes, design & test tools and techniques, etc etc have changed somewhat since then smile.png

The OP is asking about how ling their *new* car is going to last. I'm responding to that, I'm not talking about something that was designed 30-60 years ago wink.png

Farang sure are funny sometimes biggrin.png

My beaters were all from the 1969-1993 range. Mostly seventies and eighties. So, yes, much better technology and build quality than now, I agree.

• Like 1

I know of a Thai who has a BMW series 5, bought 13 years ago. It is back in garage about every 2 weeks.

Comparatively, the CRV bought at the same time is still pretty worry-free even though maintenance is only carried out irregularly.

I would not vouch for the same reliability of a current-day CRV, though, seeing how their panels fold with a single finger...

I love my 2001 CRV...109k and still going strong...just change the oil twice a year and its indestructible.

There are still some T-Model Fords in mint condition on the road, does that mean the design life was 100 Years? I think some here are confusing anecdotal data with design life. Were cars designed to last 10 years, 95% of cars 10 years old would still be on the road.

• Like 1

There are still some T-Model Fords in mint condition on the road, does that mean the design life was 100 Years? I think some here are confusing anecdotal data with design life. Were cars designed to last 10 years, 95% of cars 10 years old would still be on the road.

Yay, at least one person gets it :)

And to think, some farang have the gaul to criticize Thai common sense :P

Define "design life" in this context, I think we are talking about planned obsolescence. Mainly due to aesthetic changes and new safety features the majority of cars are replaced within 8-10 years (a 2003 CR-V looks "old" compared to a 2013 model) but not because they're at the end of their technical life-cycle.

We live in a throw-away society where for all economic reasons, most products become unfashionable and therefore obsolete, consumers feel obliged to replace them because newer is better right? This is the marketeer's ultimate wet-dream and indeed 95% of the population happily follows this concept.

To give an example of T-Ford that is kept in mint condition and is out on the roads 2 hours per year is comparing apples with oranges.

Define "design life" in this context, I think we are talking about planned obsolescence. Mainly due to aesthetic changes and new safety features the majority of cars are replaced within 8-10 years (a 2003 CR-V looks "old" compared to a 2013 model) but not because they're at the end of their technical life-cycle.

We live in a throw-away society where for all economic reasons, most products become unfashionable and therefore obsolete, consumers feel obliged to replace them because newer is better right? This is the marketeer's ultimate wet-dream and indeed 95% of the population happily follows this concept.

To give an example of T-Ford that is kept in mint condition and is out on the roads 2 hours per year is comparing apples with oranges.

I think my old 2000 era CRV looks loads better than any of the subsequent redesigns. Also, as the redesigns have been so radical there is no family resemblance so they actually appear to be different makes.

My old model, with its boxy design and windows has heaps better visibility than any if the newer models as well.