What's your opinion of Thai's wearing gold?

Chittychangchang

Thai gold is cheaper and worst quality than westerner gold, I don't like it, it look cheap. Showing gold in Thailand meaning you are not poor or letting suppose it ! It a big shame to show your poverty.

Wearing a Buddha (most in gold colour) with a gold chain it look better than a simple silver or another cheap metal.

Personally when I am in Thailand I like wearing my buddhas with my european gold chain. It's nice and thoughtful !

Too much gold is bling-bling but only one chain is just enough to don't look farang khi nok (supposing you're well clothed that you should be if you wear gold) !

Edited by Westaurel

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai chavs, the poorer they are the more gold they wear.

What he said.

Go to the UK, take a look at the market stall holders with their industrial-sized gold curb chains - same thing. I haven't noticed more refined Thai people wearing tacky gold jewellery.

Over the last couple of years I have noticed a hell of a lot of UK guys wearing those big chains around their neck I believe they are all fake gold. They look stupid, showin off. I think with a lot of Thais they think it is impressive to them makes them feel high class

What he said.

Go to the UK, take a look at the market stall holders with their industrial-sized gold curb chains - same thing. I haven't noticed more refined Thai people wearing tacky gold jewellery.

Over the last couple of years I have noticed a hell of a lot of UK guys wearing those big chains around their neck I believe they are all fake gold. They look stupid, showin off. I think with a lot of Thais they think it is impressive to them makes them feel high class

Excellent stuff, when in Rome etc etc.

Walk into most shopping malls/centres and they will have a stall selling fake gold, usually about 200-300 baht per pop.

The biggest customers are Thai, costume jewellery is I believe what farang call it.

The (certain class) Thais will buy it and wear it as a one off to try and gain face/status.

Nice to know Dagenham Dave from Billericay market has rocked up here and integrated, hope he was wearing full sov rings for maximun face, those half sovs dont cut it.

What he said.

Walk into most shopping malls/centres and they will have a stall selling fake gold, usually about 200-300 baht per pop.

The biggest customers are Thai, costume jewellery is I believe what farang call it.

The (certain class) Thais will buy it and wear it as a one off to try and gain face/status.

Nice to know Dagenham Dave from Billericay market has rocked up here and integrated, hope he was wearing full sov rings for maximun face, those half sovs dont cut it.

Locals can spot ''BigC''....''gold'..........at a 100 yards..............laugh.png

Settle I was on a wind up, his pic has nothing to do with the OP, to be fair if it was me I'd not be best pleased my pic was posted unless of course you or the guy who posted it is him.

I never posted it and yeah I would not be happy having a picture of me posted without my permission which i thought was against TV rules because the guy who posted it aint him

The guy that is on that pic is supposed to be famous in Pattaya and not someone to mess with. But hey keyboard warriors that are anonymous will do things to make fun of him. Not that I know the guy or care that much (live in BKK)

Famous in who's eyes, definately not mine

Gold prices for 99% pure gold is worth the same price if it in a pure gold Thai necklace or in a Gold brick out of Ft. Knox,

an incorrect assumption Kikoman. the purchase price for 24k gold jewelry is higher than a 24k gold bar and the selling price for that piece of jewelry is lower.

Let me put it this way your statement is more correct then mine, Thai gold is (96.5%) 23 K as a gold bar is 24 K so based on that information. your statement is more correct.

My statement to the poster was also correct, He stated that the only way one could buy gold as an investment is incorrect, in the context that I stated Thai's purchase gold for an investment. He is talking about purchasing bars of 24 K gold, as Carlos Slim or Bill Gates would do. Thai buy gold in one satang or one baht at a time and when they get more they update it to 2 satang and or 2 baht. Not any different that someone buying US saving bonds in the US,

My wife has gold that Thai women in the village wear on Buddhist holidays to the wat maybe 4 times a year, then it goes back in to the safe, until the next holiday. I would say it is worn for less than 24 hours in a year.

Cheers:wai2.gif

What he said.

Actually Thais (and also a lot of Cambodians) know full well that it's not real gold and they also know full well that everyone else can tell that it's not real gold. They don't care. They wear it because they think it looks good.

I know a goldsmith (apprenticed in real gold) in Cambodia who is a millionaire again every single month. He started off making the cheap 'costume jewellery" and selling it in the markets. Now he has a factory making nothing but that; 'costume jewellery'.

If they could afford real gold no doubt they would go for that instead.

Edited by Trembly

Asked my wife, and she confirmed what I thought.

She used to wear it only to show off.

These days, she see no need in showing off, and also she is aware she makes herself a target by flashing the gold everywhere.

She only wears it to parties to look nice.

You mean to show off biggrin.png

Pretty presumptuous of you my lad. You don't even know them.

• Like 1

Gold signifies status, such as married or not. It can be worn on special occasions, or to display position within the social hierarchy. Calling the wearer a Thai chav is neat but judgmental. Tells you more about the name-caller's social resentments or fears.

• Like 2

Gold signifies status, such as married or not. It can be worn on special occasions, or to display position within the social hierarchy. Calling the wearer a Thai chav is neat but judgmental. Tells you more about the name-caller's social resentments or fears.

I know many Hi-So Thai folk that never wear gold at events.

I know many Hi-So Thai folk that never wear gold at events.

And I know many that do in fact usually its accompanied by additional Diamonds that require me to wear an extra dark pair of sunglasses biggrin.png

Whether you like it or not Thailand is no different to any other country some flash the cash while others dont and the only people who know a persons real net worth is the person wearing the gold.

My guess is its a combo of people wearing their entire net worth, to people wearing gold that have millions in the bank, and everyone in between

Edited by DiamondKing
  • Like 1

Settle I was on a wind up, his pic has nothing to do with the OP, to be fair if it was me I'd not be best pleased my pic was posted unless of course you or the guy who posted it is him.

The guy that is on that pic is supposed to be famous in Pattaya and not someone to mess with. But hey keyboard warriors that are anonymous will do things to make fun of him. Not that I know the guy or care that much (live in BKK)

He is infamous in Pattaya I DO know him and believe me you don't want to know him.

He is infamous in Pattaya I DO know him and believe me you don't want to know him.

Why, does he talk your ear off?

Gold prices for 99% pure gold is worth the same price if it in a pure gold Thai necklace or in a Gold brick out of Ft. Knox,

an incorrect assumption Kikoman. the purchase price for 24k gold jewelry is higher than a 24k gold bar and the selling price for that piece of jewelry is lower.

Let me put it this way your statement is more correct then mine, Thai gold is (96.5%) 23 K as a gold bar is 24 K so based on that information. your statement is more correct.

My statement to the poster was also correct, He stated that the only way one could buy gold as an investment is incorrect, in the context that I stated Thai's purchase gold for an investment. He is talking about purchasing bars of 24 K gold, as Carlos Slim or Bill Gates would do. Thai buy gold in one satang or one baht at a time and when they get more they update it to 2 satang and or 2 baht. Not any different that someone buying US saving bonds in the US,

My wife has gold that Thai women in the village wear on Buddhist holidays to the wat maybe 4 times a year, then it goes back in to the safe, until the next holiday. I would say it is worn for less than 24 hours in a year.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Naam and Kikoman, you may be both right from some perspective. Have no reasons not to believe you. But my personal limited to Australia experience is keeping me away from wasting money on jewelry.

Recently a good lady friend of mine was going to marry a bloke. They both selected a diamond ring for her and he paid $12,000. The things didn't work out. Wedding was cancelled and she returned the ring to him. So far nothing odd.

But before she returned him the ring she went to a couple of shops to check how much it would have been if she has sold it. One of the shops was the one they bought it from. Offers? - not over $4,500!!!

Before I came to Thailand, I bought a brand new Pulsar IQ for $26,000. Then change of plans and I am moving out to Thailand. The car was in mint condition, still under 10,000 km on odometer, still under warranty etc.

Sold for $18,000 privately. Not even the bloody Dealer I bought it from wold give me that! He offered $17,500.

This is why, if I wanted to invest free money lying around - it wouldn't be cars or jewelry. Than again, it depends on the level of operations. Buying a Merc, a BMW or a SAAB - isn't a good investment. Buying jewelry - isn't a good investment in my personal view, but buying shares of companies - might be! Problem is, though I am comfy, I am in no way a BIG fellow. The big guys seem to gain whatever they do... So, we have no disputes here... it's personal experiences that may be different.

Cheers. And thanks for your responses.

As to the question of wearing excessive jewelry - in my opinion it is bad taste stemming from bad education. Really RICH Thais wouldn't do it either. The ones who do - IMHO are vulgar people, both men and women...

Edited by ABCer

Wearing gold - fake designer clothes/bags - harrods bags - cheap designer clothes - c-class Mercedes - 'Hi-so' event attendees. It's all the same. People trying to look richer than they are , all living off credit. due to this horrible money = respect culture.

While people with real money know this, hide their wealth and think " sighhhhhhhh you're not worming your way into mine" and don't do and don't go to none of the above.

• Like 1

in china we call those big belly, gold covered guys "tu hao", like cashy mafia member like the early movies but in a corny way.

I do see proportionately more Thai's covered in gold than any other population in the world, Is it a fashion statement?

Over to you.

What's your opinion?......back to you.

I think it's a fashion statement as in a lot of Asia.

CCC

I was in a Gold shop in Yaowarat today and a Thai-Chinese guy was buying a HUGE twisted rope chain. It hung to his stomach when he was trying it on and was at least 10mm thick. 20Baht at least I'd guesstimate. He didn't look short of a few bob but wonder where or when he'd ever wear such a thing. It was certainly a custom piece so must be for a specific purpose.