MPH to scrutinize a private Thai hospital refusing to take pregnant lady in labor

webfact

MPH to scrutinize a private hospital refusing to take pregnant lady in labor

BANGKOK, 15 Oct 2013 (NNT) – The Ministry of Public Health will scrutinize a private hospital that allegedly refused to treat a pregnant woman in labor as she could not afford the operation. The event has led to her failed attempt to deliver the baby by herself at home resulting in her baby's death.

The Metropolitan Police stated that the case can escalate into a law suit if the woman in question decides to press charges against the hospital, as the latter’s negligence to treat a life threatening emergency patient counts as a crime. Offenders in such a case are subjected to a 3-year jail term or 6,000 baht fine or both. However, the lady has not yet come forward to officially make a case, the police added, saying the complaint can also be made at the Medical Council of Thailand.

Meanwhile, Deputy Permanent Secretary for Public Health Dr. Wachira Pengjan said the Ramathibodi Hospital is currently conducting an autopsy on the baby, adding the physical health of the unfortunate mother is well although she is undergoing the post pregnancy recovering process.

He stated the Department of Health Service Support will conduct a thorough investigation into the case, ensuring that the department will give fairness to all sides.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-15 footer_n.gif

SSO to cut red tape after newborn baby dies
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Social Security Office (SSO) will soon pay childbirth costs directly to the hospitals where the delivery is performed, following the recent death of a newborn baby whose mother was denied service by staff at two hospitals due to SSO-related red tape.

Once the relevant SSO regulations are amended, beneficiaries will be able to have their babies delivered, in both normal and emergency cases, at any hospital, which will later be reimbursed the standard cost of Bt13,000 by the SSO, said acting SSO secretary-general Jirasuk Sugandhajati. He said an investigation into the death of the baby was under way and expected to be complete this week.

The amendment is expected to solve disputes over cross-hospital SSO payment conditions, making childbirth a standard procedure in all cases, whether the birth is timely or premature, he said.

Cholthicha Wanthip, 31, was turned away by a hospital at which she had SSO coverage after staff said childbirth was not a covered procedure. She was told she would need to advance Bt18,000 to have medical staff deliver her child. After going into labour prematurely, the woman returned to her small rented room and was delivered of a boy there, who later died.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-15

SSO to cut red tape after newborn baby dies

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Social Security Office (SSO) will soon pay childbirth costs directly to the hospitals where the delivery is performed, following the recent death of a newborn baby whose mother was denied service by staff at two hospitals due to SSO-related red tape.

Once the relevant SSO regulations are amended, beneficiaries will be able to have their babies delivered, in both normal and emergency cases, at any hospital, which will later be reimbursed the standard cost of Bt13,000 by the SSO, said acting SSO secretary-general Jirasuk Sugandhajati. He said an investigation into the death of the baby was under way and expected to be complete this week.

The amendment is expected to solve disputes over cross-hospital SSO payment conditions, making childbirth a standard procedure in all cases, whether the birth is timely or premature, he said.

Cholthicha Wanthip, 31, was turned away by a hospital at which she had SSO coverage after staff said childbirth was not a covered procedure. She was told she would need to advance Bt18,000 to have medical staff deliver her child. After going into labour prematurely, the woman returned to her small rented room and was delivered of a boy there, who later died.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-15

I wonder how the Government can cut red tape. It is one of there tools used in covering up corruption.

In the other article they said

"He stated the Department of Health Service Support will conduct a thorough investigation into the case, ensuring that the department will give fairness to all sides."

Political talk for cover there ass. How can a service take a free service and charge 30 baht that cost them 50 baht in paper work be expected to do any thing intelligent?

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

My mrs tried to get a taxi to take a heavily pregnant woman to Hospital a couple of years ago outside Amari Watergate. The woman had already tried and my mrs stopped another 7 taxis, none of the bastards would take her, meter or not. In the end she walked off round the corner. Don't know what hospital she wanted but says something about this Thai love Thai nonsense.

The Hypocratic Oath starts " First Do No Harm " but here it seems to be " do nothing until you get a deposit or are sure the patient is good for it ".

The Hippocratic Oath (named after Hippocrates) is an oath traditionally sworn by physicians and others in the medical field to protect the lives and rights of patients. Obviously not followed in this case by the hospital.

It would appear that in this story the hospital was following the Hypocritic Oath.

(A hypocrite preaches one thing, and does another. Rather like many people in government and other responsible positions)

Sorry about spelling mistake, I got my Hypo and Hippos wrong and the hospital certainly did. Great Post from you, right on the nose.

• Like 2

"...a private hospital that allegedly refused to treat a pregnant woman in labor as she could not afford the operation."

I suppose none of the hospital staff involved asked themselves: "What would Buddha do?"

Most Buddhist practices I see (making merit, house blessing, car blessing, amulets etc), are aimed at improving one's own luck and wealth.

However, lets not make the choices of a few people at 2 hospitals count for the attitude of all Buddhists.

I read elsewhere (BP) that this 31 year old woman lives alone in Bangkok (not far from me actually) and this child would have been her fifth child.

She was 6 months pregnant and apparently went into premature labor.

I'm not sure if the hospital should bear the full brunt of the baby's death.

What about the father of the baby ? Where was he when the baby and the mother needed him most ?

We are in Thailand now, remember? The father is probably with another woman, having another 30 seconds of fun.

What about the father of the baby ? Where was he when the baby and the mother needed him most ?

We are in Thailand now, remember? The father is probably with another woman, having another 30 seconds of fun.

Well, then the decision to compel hospitals to treat pregnant women in labor, whether or not the bills are to be picked up by the hospitals or social security, will certainly encourage more such men to sow their seeds recklessly.

I really don't know what any government has to do with this?!

Every doctor, every nurse has a CHOICE!

In fact EVERYBODY has!

You see a person in need and you have a CHOICE to help or to close your eyes and hope the problem just goes away!

It is despicable to turn this pregnant woman away, who was obviously in pain, just because she might not have the money!

This is also not about the father (although he is a scumbag as well).

This is simply about doctors, not doing what doctors should do: help the sick!

The hospital would not let her in. How were the doctors to know? Do you think they wander the streets looking for sick people?facepalm.gif

Wasn't this the same hospital where patients and visitors were drugged and robbed a few days ago?

Never mind Hippocrates, patients should look to Dante...... "Abandon all hope, all who enter here"

"Wasn't this the same hospital where patients and visitors were drugged and robbed a few days ago?"

I don't know you tell us. the article did not name the hospital You apparently are privy to information on the case care to tell it all?

Well, then the decision to compel hospitals to treat pregnant women in labor, whether or not the bills are to be picked up by the hospitals or social security, will certainly encourage more such men to sow their seeds recklessly.

I don't think that is a concern of theirs26.gif

And the name of the hospital where the relevant staff should hanging their heads in shame for a very long time ?

Agreed - it should be posted, as there is already a hospital mentioned which might be assumed by some (correctly or otherwise) to be the culprit.

Needs to be clarified.

First of all, Thai doctors are not required to sign to oath of Hippocrates (sorry if I spell the name wrong).

My physician in Thailand, a Cardiologist, never signed the oath in Thailand.

Second, Thai justice is big joke when it comes to cases like this.

Quoted from the original text: "Offenders in such a case are subjected to a 3-year jail term or 6,000 baht fine or both."

What are the odd's that there will never be a case and, if there is a case, the hospital will get a 6,000 baht fine?

Place your bet's.

Third, in such cases, where a wrongdoing (causing the death of a person) is made, a Court case should be opened by the Court/State against that person, and that person shall take be prosecuted to the fullest for his wrongdoings..

And the name of the hospital where the relevant staff should hanging their heads in shame for a very long time ?

Agreed - it should be posted, as there is already a hospital mentioned which might be assumed by some (correctly or otherwise) to be the culprit.

Needs to be clarified.

Yes indeed. The hospital mentioned as carrying out the autopsy is the same one where the drugging and robbing incidents occurred a few days ago but it appears I may have misread that they were also involved here.sad.png

Edited by bigbamboo

Lots of blame to go around. The hospital should have taken her in. The government health care system that dose not pay the

hospitals enough or at all. The choice of the lady to go to a private facility where there was a chance of being turned away instead

of a public one. The only blameless person was the poor baby. RIP

• Like 1

Not any different from hospitals in the US. They turn away patients DAILY.

Not true. All U S hospitals will admit you to the ER of their facility.

They may transfer you to a county hospital once you are stable, but they

are required under the law to provide treatment with or

insurance or money, even if you are not a US Citizen

This is what determines whether a country is third world or not. And Thailand wants to promote itself as a hub for medical tourism! It is a totally shameful incident.

A nice woman near us started contractions at home, her waters broke with a bit of a flood walking in to hospital, the Doc's rushed her in to labour ward and her Doctor came. 45 anxious minutes later the Father and two other lovely children are sat outside the delivery room along with Mum and Dad. The Doctor comes out to say the baby is alive but the mother died on the table. The reason he gave to the family, and this is no word of a lie was 'Because her waters broke while she was walking and she was not lying down in hospital under medical care, some of the water got in to her blood stream and killed her'. !!! Young really close and loving family whose Father is a real role model absolutely destroyed, and they accepted what the Doctor said. Nothing happened, to the Doc

Bit of an assumption to jump to. Premature birth by 3 months, he could be away working, he could be in another part of the country, he could be dead, he could be in jail. The baby wasn't due for 3 months.

• Like 1

Bit of an assumption to jump to. Premature birth by 3 months, he could be away working, he could be in another part of the country, he could be dead, he could be in jail. The baby wasn't due for 3 months.

You meant presumption? No, I didn't presume where the father might have been, just as I was quoted correctly.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app