Helping the DIsabled and the Infirm at the Chiang Mai Immigration Office

Mapguy

Because of the advanced age or disability, many foreigners who must visit the Chiang Mai Immigration Office are at a disadvantage. This has been noted recently on two indirectly-related threads. I believe that the problem deserves more focused attention. Here are some observations to get things rolling.

General reading of Immigration office threads reveals a problem with physical access to the crowded facilities. Access for the disabled to government facilities generally is lacking. There do not seem to be too many other special provisions made by Immigration for assisting disabled persons. (I do not mean to bash the office on this point; it is only relatively recently that much richer countries have begun improving access generally for the disabled.

General reading also reveals that the conduct of able-bodied foreigners (especially in the early morning waiting line) can be disgraceful, even physically dangerous for infirm foreigners waiting to enter the building. It can sometimes resemble a pop concert mosh pit!

An additional problem is that some aged persons with declining mental acuity to deal with the detail required attempt to do their business come unassisted and poorly prepared. Where are their friends? Are some of these people, who have limited resources, getting any agency assistance? After all, the situation at the Immigration office certainly is profitable to agencies like Thai Visa Assist, but not all can pay the TVA (or other agency) price of assistance.

Over to you!

• Like 1

I have a friend who is wheelchair bound. Each year I go to Immigration to renew his Visa for him. In addition to the regular procedure, there are 3 additional steps to follow: i have never had a problem and the disabled person did not have to go to Immigration. Of course everything goes faster if you use their online queue and make an appointment.

Renew visa for disabled person:

If you are going to Immigration to renew a VISA for someone who is disabled
and cannot go themselves, there are three (3) additional steps:

1. You need a letter from the disabled person's Doctor (Addressed to
immigration) stating why he cannot go to Immigration himself.

2. You need a photo of Passport holder showing why he/she cannot go to
Immigration. Example: Photo of him sitting in a wheel chair

3. I went to Immigration today (10 July 2013) to renew Visa for disabled
person. The Immigration Officer has a worksheet (in Thai) that they use. It
has to be signed in 2 places. In past years they let me sign it. Now, I had to
bring it back to the disabled person and have him sign it. Had to return to
Immigration the next day to complete renewing Visa. Did not need to get a
number. I got Immigration Officer's attention and she took care of me right
away.

• Like 1

I have a friend who is wheelchair bound. Each year I go to Immigration to renew his Visa for him. In addition to the regular procedure, there are 3 additional steps to follow: i have never had a problem and the disabled person did not have to go to Immigration. Of course everything goes faster if you use their online queue and make an appointment.

Renew visa for disabled person:

If you are going to Immigration to renew a VISA for someone who is disabled

and cannot go themselves, there are three (3) additional steps:

1. You need a letter from the disabled person's Doctor (Addressed to

immigration) stating why he cannot go to Immigration himself.

2. You need a photo of Passport holder showing why he/she cannot go to

Immigration. Example: Photo of him sitting in a wheel chair

3. I went to Immigration today (10 July 2013) to renew Visa for disabled

person. The Immigration Officer has a worksheet (in Thai) that they use. It

has to be signed in 2 places. In past years they let me sign it. Now, I had to

bring it back to the disabled person and have him sign it. Had to return to

Immigration the next day to complete renewing Visa. Did not need to get a

number. I got Immigration Officer's attention and she took care of me right

away.

When you say you are "renewing a visa," presumably you mean you are doing an annual extension of stay. It may seem pedantic, but using the incorrect term then creates the impression that visas are renewable, which they aren't, and which seems to cause an unending source of questions from people who are here on a limited stay based solely on a visa that cannot be renewed at Immigrations.

On a related note, although this does not apply to Chiang Mai, there are some concessions made for the elderly, pregnant women, those in poor health at the office at Jomtien as well, and this too seems to bring out the worst in some farang who can't accept that someone might go ahead of them in the queue, for any reason. I would expect most offices have some way to deal with those with health and mobility issues. Despite the impression that some people hold dear, Thai people, even Thai Immigration officers, are not without sensitivity to the problems of those they deal with.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Very good to read that Immigration is helpful in accommodating a lot of the needs. Seems to me that sitting in a car and having the Immigration Officer come to you is much better service than having to get up some ramp clutching a handrail.

Appears that Immigration is providing much better service than the OP implied but the OP does have an Immigration fixation.