BMA: Bangkok will be flood-free for rest of the year

webfact

BMA: Bangkok will be flood-free for rest of the year

BANGKOK, 15 October 2013 (NNT) - The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration’s Flood Control Center has speculated that the capital will be free from floods this year.

The center said the Gulf-bound northern streams passed through Ayutthaya province on Tuesday at the rate of 2,340 cubic meters per second, which was considerably lower than the volume measured in the past week.

It forecasted that as tropical storm Nari is not sending any impact on Bangkok and the amount of the northern streams entering the capital zone is also decreasing, Bangkok is expected to be safe from flooding for the rest of the year.

A high pressure cell from China is prevailing over the upper parts of the country, bringing cold spells and weakening rain-inducing low pressure cells.

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi said some areas in the East remain flooded but the situation is generally improving.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has earlier visited flood-hit areas in Prachinburi and Chacheongsao to offer relief packages.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-15 footer_n.gif

Fearless prediction, rain season is over, high season is nigh, no more flooding until next year. I also do lottery numbers, get them while they're hot.

The rain season isn't over. There is a storm coming over the NE over the next few days.

In 2011, the biggest threat to Bangkok didn't really occur until November. Don Muang didn't flood until then.

It won't be like 2011, but I wouldn't be saying that it won't be flood free yet.

On a side note, I do remember a government MP saying in 2011 that the worst had passed, a couple of weeks before the government suggested people get out of Bangkok.

It appears to be raining heavily all over Thailand, and according to the weather forecasts, this will continue for at least a week. Most of the rice fields on the central plains seem to be flooded already, Ayuttaya is totally covered with water, and they dare tell people that Bangkok will be flood free this year.

My guess is that parts of Bangkok will be flooded this week, and if the rain doesn't stop soon, there's more to come. But Bangkok can take it. I feel much. much more sorry for the people in those provinces that have been flooded for weeks already.

It appears to be raining heavily all over Thailand, and according to the weather forecasts, this will continue for at least a week. Most of the rice fields on the central plains seem to be flooded already, Ayuttaya is totally covered with water, and they dare tell people that Bangkok will be flood free this year.

My guess is that parts of Bangkok will be flooded this week, and if the rain doesn't stop soon, there's more to come. But Bangkok can take it. I feel much. much more sorry for the people in those provinces that have been flooded for weeks already.

Gee whiz zakk9, I don't know where you got your information from. I live in a flood area near Ayutthaya. In 2010, there was a metre under our house. In 2011 there was 3 metres of water in our area. This year we had 5-6 inches across our front yard and that has receded. To say "Ayutthaya is totally covered with water" is a bit dramatic . Those that are flooded, flood every year. Common sense, not exaggerations are needed in these situations.

I talked with someone who are worse off than you, so assumed that this was the general situation. Sorry for exaggerating if that is not the case. It's important to remember though, that central Ayuttaya was mostly dry at least as late as 5 October in 2011, although the level of the river was already high. This is still unpredictable. Other provinces have been much worse flooded this time than 2 years ago, and I don't think I would like to live in Sa Kaeo or Prachinburi now, with more rain pouring down.

Gee whiz zakk9, I don't know where you got your information from. I live in a flood area near Ayutthaya. In 2010, there was a metre under our house. In 2011 there was 3 metres of water in our area. This year we had 5-6 inches across our front yard and that has receded. To say "Ayutthaya is totally covered with water" is a bit dramatic . Those that are flooded, flood every year. Common sense, not exaggerations are needed in these situations.

I talked with someone who are worse off than you, so assumed that this was the general situation. Sorry for exaggerating if that is not the case. It's important to remember though, that central Ayuttaya was mostly dry at least as late as 5 October in 2011, although the level of the river was already high. This is still unpredictable. Other provinces have been much worse flooded this time than 2 years ago, and I don't think I would like to live in Sa Kaeo or Prachinburi now, with more rain pouring down.

Yeah, the eastern provinces have really copped it this year. My wife and I are saddened my what they are going through. It can be heartbreaking, especially when you notice that a lot of their homes are not highset. On a lighter, but silly note, there is a local council election here tomorrow, and a candidate turned up with a flood relief package. Yep, same as always; heaps of mama and only two 700ml bottles of water. Sure, my wife I plan for extra water deliverys at this time of the year, But I can't figure out their logic. Every flood year...packets and packets of salty, spicy, msg mama but so little water.

Edited by newatthis

Fearless prediction, rain season is over, high season is nigh, no more flooding until next year. I also do lottery numbers, get them while they're hot.

The rain season isn't over. There is a storm coming over the NE over the next few days.

In 2011, the biggest threat to Bangkok didn't really occur until November. Don Muang didn't flood until then.

It won't be like 2011, but I wouldn't be saying that it won't be flood free yet.

On a side note, I do remember a government MP saying in 2011 that the worst had passed, a couple of weeks before the government suggested people get out of Bangkok.

Yes i remember that too.

But in 2011 i was flooded I am above BKK we escaped it here so i really doubt Bangkok gets flooded. (around this time last year we were starting to get flooded and other parts of Bang Bua Thong were flooded already) Maybe from the east a bit but not from our side. I do believe parts of BKK will flood they flood almost every year but that is normal. Parts of Rangsit always flood.

About a week ago the Chao Praya reached it's highest level so far this year. It has since dropped considerably but may come up again with the high tide starting Monday 21st. However it is nowhere near the level it reached in 2010, let alone 2011. I know this because my house is on the riverbank and I see it every day.

It's true that we can't rely at all on media reporting of politician's or bureaucrat's predictions the same as we couldn't in 2011. But I don't see any reason to believe that Bangkok is at any risk this year, apart from a few areas that as Robblok said above, flood almost every year.