"The Laramie Project"

bhatmasterson

For those who like live English Language theater, The Gate Theater Group are back with their first show of their new season.

"The Laramie Project" is a docudrama about the murder of Mathew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student who was beaten, tortured, robbed and left to die in the Wyoming desert. This happened in 1998 and became world wide news after Matthew was discovered by a mountain biker, barely alive, almost 24 hours after the incident.

There are stories in the news recently about a new book that sheds new light on this horrific crime. Some say it wasn't a hate crime at all but a crime fueled by jealousy and drugs.

When Matthew Shepard died in a Colorado hospital 15 years ago this week, the shockwaves could be felt across America. Kidnapped by two men who had befriended him, tied up to a fence in a remote rural spot, pistol-whipped and tortured, Shepard died of his head injuries on 12 October, 1998.

The outrage that erupted from Shepard’s murder not only put his abductors – Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson – behind bars for life, but it also provoked a nationwide debate about hate crimes against gay people. Evidence presented at trial suggested that the attack had been motivated by violent antagonism towards Shepard, 21, as an openly gay man.

There will be a free preview of the show tomorrow evening at 6:30 pm at Kad Suan Kaew Shopping Mall. The studio is on the 7th floor. Take the elevator that goes to the cinemas up to 7. You will be in the lobby of the studio theater from there someone will show you to the studio.

post-62752-0-25277600-1381852624_thumb.j

Sounds a bit morbid ,as entertainment .I will pass on that .

Actually, I wouldn't consider the play morbid. It takes on an uplifting feeling by the time it's over.

On November 14, 1998, members of Tectonic Theater Project traveled to Laramie, Wyoming, and conducted interviews with the people of the town. The play is edited from those interviews, as well as from journal entries by members of the company. The play is about the town of Laramie, its citizens, and their reaction to Matthew Shepard’s murder.

Here are some shots from last nights rehearsal that I was invited to attend.

"who was beaten, tortured, robbed and left to die in the Wyoming desert. "

I really enjoyed going to the The Gate Theater Group live theater, but at the moment I think I need something on lighter subject... Work and the family life provide enough drama for me.