About Thai-Farang child owning land In Thailand

under 20 years a child cannot own land ,, ,so a Thai trustee is required and thats usually a major risk .

<deleted>!

No Thai trustee required.

One of the parents is named as manager at the time of transfer to minor.

Manager can be any nationality, has no right to sell or do anything that will reduce value of property.

Anyone who tries to tell you different is lying/corrupt/incompetent ...... take your pick.

i would love that to be true mate , but i have been told by 4 lawyers and Bangkok land dept and prachinburi and pattaya land offices that My 15 year old thai daughtwer cannot hold the land willed to me by my wife without a Thai trustee ,, i cannot be a trustee as i am not a thai citizen ...

I will set up a USUFRUCT lease if i cant sell it within the 1 year time frame that I can hold it in my name as it was willed to me .

lying/corrupt/incompetent, possibly all true , its often the case here that one government dept does not know what its own rules are , and pattaya land office is certainly corrupt ,, many copy chanuts get issued ,,,by certain officials there who never get prosecuted ,, i lost a condo unit to one of those scams but manged to recover the money in the courts , but the dodgy officials are still in their jobs .

More likely a relative paying off the people you are speaking to.

Is there a common Thai person in all your dealings? If so, there's your problem.

The one year 'having to sell' isn't generally enforced either, you keep mum, they often don't bother.

You can also go to family court and get a judge to leave the property in your name until the daughter is 20, if there are problems with the land office.

Judges don't look kindly on people conspiring to cheat a 15 year old out of property.

Go to family court and ask for help, no dodgy lawyers needed, you can do it direct.

Thanks for the tips 52 ,, no common thai person at all , family is not even in the picture ,, actually they are very supportive my wife mother actually handed all my wifes gold and money directly to me and that is a substantial amount ,, i go to completely independant sources ,,,

My daughter was registered on land at the age of 11 on the death of my wife.I was the administrator.i waited until she was 20 before selling.

I have had to deal with the family court I found them to be very protective of the child.

A friend of mine bought condos in his daughters name. Under 10. They were allowed to sell them by the family court, this was recently, after due process and expense, the monies were transferred into a bank account to be used by the parents for their education fees- it is monitored by the courts.

52 concise post is what my understanding of this subject is.

The land department may well not like the idea of children owning land..

Lawyers were used in my case and my friends - a must.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My boy was born in Canada, and we got Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy in Ottawa. When we came here, we went to the Amphoe to get the certificate stamped, and they added him to the house book. The main drawback of the Thai citizenship is that at the age of 20 he is due for military service despite his dual citizenship.

As for the land limit, wifey confirmed that there is limit on some special land that has some special paper that can be used to borrow money

I think it has something to do with agricultural land, but she couldnt explain ...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

My boy was born in Canada, and we got Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy in Ottawa. When we came here, we went to the Amphoe to get the certificate stamped, and they added him to the house book. The main drawback of the Thai citizenship is that at the age of 20 he is due for military service despite his dual citizenship.

As for the land limit, wifey confirmed that there is limit on some special land that has some special paper that can be used to borrow money

I think it has something to do with agricultural land, but she couldnt explain ...

There is no limit on chanote land you can purchase for your child.

Land without chanote is mainly assigned to (and traded between) people who were born in the Amphur.

As your son was not born in the Amphur, he cannot legally own land there without a chanote.

There is no limit on chanote land you can purchase for your child.

Land without chanote is mainly assigned to (and traded between) people who were born in the Amphur.

As your son was not born in the Amphur, he cannot legally own land there without a chanote.

I am not talking about the land that my son can own. My father in law had to transfer some land to my wife because her mom and dad reached some limit and cannot have more under their names.

Sent via the app thingy

• 2 weeks later...

hi my daughter is half thai and half irish

From my understanding there is no such thing as half-thai nor half-irish, your daughter is fully thai, and also fully irish, she has both nationalities and has all the rights of a native thai person (and is considered as such by the thai authorities), exactly like she has all the rights of a native irish person (and is also considered as such by the irish authorities).

she doesn't get half a passport does she? she gets two!

under 20 years a child cannot own land ,, ,so a Thai trustee is required and thats usually a major risk .

<deleted>!

No Thai trustee required.

One of the parents is named as manager at the time of transfer to minor.

Manager can be any nationality, has no right to sell or do anything that will reduce value of property.

Anyone who tries to tell you different is lying/corrupt/incompetent ...... take your pick.

i would love that to be true mate , but i have been told by 4 lawyers and Bangkok land dept and prachinburi and pattaya land offices that My 15 year old thai daughtwer cannot hold the land willed to me by my wife without a Thai trustee ,, i cannot be a trustee as i am not a thai citizen ...

I will set up a USUFRUCT lease if i cant sell it within the 1 year time frame that I can hold it in my name as it was willed to me .

lying/corrupt/incompetent, possibly all true , its often the case here that one government dept does not know what its own rules are , and pattaya land office is certainly corrupt ,, many copy chanuts get issued ,,,by certain officials there who never get prosecuted ,, i lost a condo unit to one of those scams but manged to recover the money in the courts , but the dodgy officials are still in their jobs .

Query: Is it possible that you confused them by using the term "hold the land" as you have done here? This might imply that you want a nominee. A Thai minor can own land (albeit with a guardian appointed), although as has been stated different land offices come up with their own version of the law in terms of applying minimum age limits.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Probably the reason she couldn't explain was because the limits on land ownership in the still current 1954 Land Code were repealed on technical grounds of unconstitutionality after a military coup in 1959. There are no remaining limits. Funny how this old chestnut is still rolling around 60 years after the event. People just need to look at the Land Code but most people prefer passing on misinformation from others not in the know, rather than going to the source.