PM Yingluck vague on details of new farm produce deal with China

webfact

RICE DEAL
PM vague on details of new farm produce deal with China

Business Desk
The Nation

30217177-01_big.gif

Orders in addition to rice purchase signed by visiting Chinese premier

BANGKOK: - China is reported to have agreed to buy another large amount of farm produce from Thailand - a million tonnes of rice and 200,000 tonnes of rubber annually for an unspecified period - under a special deal.

The orders are in addition to the first million tonnes of rice over a five-year period agreed under a memorandum of understanding signed by Chinese Premier Li Keqiang during his official visit over the past weekend, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

She was quoted by Government Spokesman Teerat Ratanasevi as telling Cabinet before yesterday's weekly meeting that the extra deal resulted from "good relations" between Thailand and China, enhanced by Li's visit to Thailand from Friday to Sunday.

Yingluck has assigned three ministries and the Council of State to study future crops and more legal deals that may encourage further opportunities in coming harvest seasons.

The PM appeared lacking in details to back up her statement about the special deal with China when asked by reporters to elaborate after the Cabinet meeting was over. She said she did not know at what price the rice and rubber would be sold to China under the deal, and that the Commerce Ministry would hold a press conference to explain it.

Yingluck was asked also about a seminar on the government's controversial rice-pledging programme, which brought heavy criticism from prominent panel speakers. Former finance minister Pridiyathorn Devakula had said the two-year scheme had seen a loss of Bt425 billion. Yingluck replied that she did not have enough information to comment on Pridiyathorn's figure but the Commerce Ministry would supply details at a future press conference.

She said the Cabinet yesterday had not discussed a plan to obtain Bt270 billion to fund the rice-pledging scheme for future crops.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-16

YL is vague, vacant at the best of times but when it comes to rice sales vagueness, lack of detail etc. is most definitely deliberate so they can play " there's good news and we will tell you how good it is later when we've got a ridiculous story arranged ".

Vague as in Vouge?

YL is vague, vacant at the best of times but when it comes to rice sales vagueness, lack of detail etc. is most definitely deliberate so they can play " there's good news and we will tell you how good it is later when we've got a ridiculous story arranged ".

Vague as in Vouge?

Vogue ?

I don't actually get the impression she's got her hands on the steering wheel. Doesn't have details, other ministries will provide answers - does she know anything?

Sounds like my wife driving. Looks straight ahead and hasn't a clue what's going on around her.

Edited by Noistar
  • Like 2

Vague as in Vouge?

Vogue ?

I'm Vague on Vogue... You got me there! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Vague as in Vouge?

Vogue ?

Victory ! Would rush out to do a lap of honour but it's pissing down outside.

"The Pm seemed to be lacking in details to back up her statement about the special deal China"

For crying out loud, she signed the papers and now she is admitting to not understand, what she has actually signed??whistling.gif

Looking forward to the defenders of the PT-government here on Thaivisa to explain that one!!

Thailands new currency: Ricecoin!

I repeat: A government of airheads elected by mushrooms!!sad.png

And it is getting worse by the day.

Says it all, doesn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9f1TYyvEx8

Vague as in Vouge?

Vogue ?

Strike a pose.

Yep, adds about as much value to Thailand as Madonna.

• Like 2

Perhaps the faux-PM might issue a statement of clarification, once the real-PM tells her, what deal he has negotiated ? wink.png

The key is of course the selling-price, no more fudging about the deal being off if the Chinese don't like the price they are being asked-to-pay, there needs to be clarity for both the taxpayers and Moody's, about how much of a loss these deals have incurred.

But it would be foolish to hold one's breath ...

I don't actually get the impression she's got her hands on the steering wheel. Doesn't have details, other ministries will provide answers - does she know anything? Sounds like my wife driving. Looks straight ahead and hasn't a clue what's going on around her.

....exactly.......

Here are the details

China +4 units

Direct Shinawatra family interests + 2 units

PTP + 2 units

PTP cronies including large businesses in the know + 2 units

Coalition partners + 1 unit

Specific areas of the Thai agriculture industry yet to be announced -4 units

Benefit/Cost to the Thai taxpayer -7 units

A unit is an undefined monetary amount.

This is the standard method of negotiating deals with foreigners under, certainly Shinawatra, administrations.

But RichTeacher, one of the ardent TV PTP defenders to re-emerge, posted earlier in the week that this deal is all because YL is a fantastic negotiator. Really?

So good, she forgot all the details of what she negotiated and how incredible it will be in benefiting the Thai people.

Strange the Chinese have not mentioned this at all?

The Commerce Ministry - always seem to produce their own, flexible and rapidly changing figures, that never seem to agree with the Finance Minister's. And neither can ever account for the changes in the figures or explain where they come from. So we'll no doubt be hearing some wonderful news, supported by more figures very soon. I keep predicting that in a few more months this scheme will be hailed as a financial profit as well as a social success.

• Like 1

Its about time for another onset of stomach problems, so she will retire to a undisclosed location for a session of R&R.

The PM's expression/posture on the local television interview, which aired her response to various reporters questions, regarding the rice scam, reminded me of someone with the urgent need to hit the head after a very bad meal.

Vogue ?

A high fashion magazine..

There are many a similarities twixt Yigluck and a fashion model.

Fashion models strut about posturing on catwalks in clothes all cleverly fitted to them with assorted cuts and tucks and pins, nothing actually fits in reality.

Those models like Yingluck are no more than puppet mannequins, for display purpose only, no thought process required just blind obedience to their employer

It is a total optical illusion designed to lure gullible fashion buyers to purchase at great cost unique one offs which will be bougt by those who decide they are the trend setters who are normally very well off too. Then those designs can be and are cloned and sold off cheaply to the gullible general public so as to convince them they part of the in crowd and are thus able to dictate the current fashion trends.

It's exactly the same modus operandi used by Thaksin and his puppet government to con the Thai people which we yet again so clearly see in the vague details of the current vogue of assorted puppet government scams schemes.

But RichTeacher, one of the ardent TV PTP defenders to re-emerge, posted earlier in the week that this deal is all because YL is a fantastic negotiator. Really?

So good, she forgot all the details of what she negotiated and how incredible it will be in benefiting the Thai people.

Strange the Chinese have not mentioned this at all?

The Commerce Ministry - always seem to produce their own, flexible and rapidly changing figures, that never seem to agree with the Finance Minister's. And neither can ever account for the changes in the figures or explain where they come from. So we'll no doubt be hearing some wonderful news, supported by more figures very soon. I keep predicting that in a few more months this scheme will be hailed as a financial profit as well as a social success.

Are you comparing it to her statement on the Reconciliation Bill? Wasn't it something like "I don't know the details of the Bill but I recommend that the country supports it"

Vogue ?

A high fashion magazine..

There are many a similarities twixt Yigluck and a fashion model.

Fashion models strut about posturing on catwalks in clothes all cleverly fitted to them with assorted cuts and tucks and pins, nothing actually fits in reality.

Those models like Yingluck are no more than puppet mannequins, for display purpose only, no thought process required just blind obedience to their employer

It is a total optical illusion designed to lure gullible fashion buyers to purchase at great cost unique one offs which will be bougt by those who decide they are the trend setters who are normally very well off too. Then those designs can be and are cloned and sold off cheaply to the gullible general public so as to convince them they part of the in crowd and are thus able to dictate the current fashion trends.

It's exactly the same modus operandi used by Thaksin and his puppet government to con the Thai people which we yet again so clearly see in the vague details of the current vogue of assorted puppet government scams schemes.

One could stray a little and highlight your "no thought process required just blind obedience to their employer"

Isn't that the aim of the Thai education system anyway?

• Like 1

If I recall the last FTA with China, Thai garlic farmers were informed after the event when massive dumping of Chinese garlic imported along the Mae Khong through Chiang Saen wiped them out financially.

I would imagine that this agreement will hit another industry. By not releasing any details until after the imports begin, they will cleverly prevent any counter-measures.

Come to think of it, the government should restrict all information from the people. Government knows best. "Just trust us to look after the country's interests."

Vague as in Vouge?

Vogue ?

So where the hell are you? Do you mean Prague?

Edited by Bagwan