Retirement extension Monthly income method

As I always try to keep up with the ever changing rules here, before my yearly visit to immigration, for my yearly extension application, I would just like to ask the following.

I have used bank statements that have been dated some 3 months prior to my application before, as i like to have them here in plenty of time, (forwarded from UK).

Has anyone here had any recent experience as to whether this is still acceptable or has this been recently changed?

Thanks.

Yes sorry Ubon I was just about to add that.

The embassy have never queried the age of the statements, and, as you rightly say Immigration dont normally ask to see the statements.

I do seem to recall reading somewhere that Immigration have started to ask to see the statements.

A better question would have included has any one been asked to show statements at immigration and had problems?

Assuming that you are talking about applying for a one-year "Extension of Stay" for retirement at an Immigration Office in Thailand;

I believe that the money has to be in a Thai bank and documented with a letter from said Thai bank.

And monthly income must be documented with a letter/affidavit from your embassy or consulate.

Edit to add: Sorry imaderbyfan. Posted this prior to seeing your last comment. I don't know the policy at your embassy/consulate.

Edited by Baloo22

Other than Phuket I don't recall any recent reports of immigration asking for additional proof of income.

I always have my Thai bank book with me though as a just in case measure though.

I knew I had seen something.

Maybe just a Phuket thing then.

I am the same as you. I try to cover every eventuality.

Maybe I am getting paranoid.........

Other than Phuket I don't recall any recent reports of immigration asking for additional proof of income.

I always have my Thai bank book with me though as a just in case measure though.

Understandable - you are a Derby fan tongue.png

You Reds!!

Understandable - you are a Derby fan tongue.png

You Reds!!

1zgarz5.gif Super Shtevies black and white army......

• Like 1

It has been my understanding that using the money in their bank method all you needed was a letter from the bank confirming that you have met the financial requirements and your bank book. Both must have the same amount of money in the bank on them.

Recently I heard of a case where a Gentleman had 950,000 baht in the bank the bank gave him a letter stating that her did. He then took out 10,000 baht leaving 940,000 baht showing on his bank book and it was not accepted as both figures have to match.

I have no doubt that is the case and believe many imagination officers would over look it but not all. I was alsp under the understanding the letter must be with in the last two days. Not clear on that.

With the money in the bank option.

The bank book must be updated on the day of the application and a letter dated the same day showing the same amount as in the book.

It is said that some Immigration offices don't insist on the same day but unless you are sure the office you are dealing with will accept a day or so earlier do it on the same day to be safe.

I had a problem in that my book had been updated previously and no transaction made so they could not update on the day of the letter.

Immigration would not accept this and I had to go back to a bank branch close to the immigration office where I deposited 10 b then got the book updated and then paid for a new letter.

The same applies with the money in the bank plus income option.

I never had a problem with the embassy letter being accepted without question however, different offices again, carry your proof of income as well as the embassy letter to be safe.

I am reading the OP question Statement - used bank statements that have been dated some 3 months prior to my application before.

It seems a little general the way it has been phrased - So just to confirm Is the question:

Is 3 months OK - Or is it too long a time to be used to get a the income letter (from the British Embassy? (and not by Thai Immigration)

If so - One of the things you might want to think about is providing online printouts of your account - I contacted British Embassy and was surprised that they did accept Internet access printouts (from a multiple accounts) - I was a little worried when I did supply the Web printouts however there was no problem.

I recently did my extension of stay it was the same as other years

1, Letter from Embassy confirming my income

2, Letter from Thai bank SCB confirming the amount of monies held in my account on that day.

3, 12 month bank statement of monies in my Thai account ( The im officer likes to see how much money I have been bringing in over the period since my last extension one year he moaned that I had only brought money in once even though it was a million baht , so I now send money over every 3 months to keep him happy ) Total charges Embassy letter 3,000 Bank Letter 200 and 2 x Extension of stay, me and wife 3,800 I always hand over 4,000 baht but never get change !!!!!

Yes.

It,s confusing, the Thai immigration rules, who change all the time.

Have lived 17 year in Thailand and even own with my Thai vife, land and houses.

Still I have to proove my income, and as a retired with a LOW SWEDISH PENSION i don,t have easy to get my O visa ( retired ) anylonger.

It,s a SHAME to handle uis, who lives in Thialand and pay our belowed family all expences and living cost.

Why cannot Thailand change this hard rules ???

What to do when not have 80 000 THB in a Thai bank ?

Immigration want to see your money banked in thailand surely. And incomes or pensions paid to you in thailand or am I wrong in that ? Maybe it's me who needs to learn. I have 65k paid monthly to my bank here but other monies paid into USA banks monthly could I show that instead ? Anybody know

• Like 1

They only want to see money in a Thai account if you use the 800,000 baht available method

If you have incomes into accounts in your home country totalling 65,000 baht per month an embassy letter confirming this has always been enough financial evidence.

I hope that this is still the case

They only want to see money in a Thai account if you use the 800,000 baht available method

If you have incomes into accounts in your home country totalling 65,000 baht per month an embassy letter confirming this has always been enough financial evidence.

Indeed. For the income method it is up to you to evidence 65k Baht p.m. (or equivalent). There were stories a few years ago of the US embassy not even looking at evidence - they were happy to provide a certificate. A recent story suggested that the British embassy was 'helpful' in applying a generous exchange rate...

Indeed. For the income method it is up to you to evidence 65k Baht p.m. (or equivalent). There were stories a few years ago of the US embassy not even looking at evidence - they were happy to provide a certificate. A recent story suggested that the British embassy was 'helpful' in applying a generous exchange rate...

Nonsense !

I cannot speak for the USA but the British Embassy certifies income in £ sterling. Always has and still does. Any conversion to Bht is undertaken by the Immigration officer using the current exchange rate.

Edit

Spelling !

Edited by thaiexpat21

I would like to ask a question if I may, just a little off topic, can you use any immigration office to get your yearly extension of stay, or do you have to use the one where you live.

You must use the office designated for your province.

I just got an Income Letter/Affidavit from the US Consulate in September. They did not ask for any evidence. They just have you swear/affirm that the amount you state on the letter is correct. Then they sign off on it and stamp it.

If I can also insert a question in here;

How long is an Income Letter/Affidavit from an embassy/consulate valid for an Extension of Stay for Retirement?

I thought I read at one time that Immigration will consider one valid for six months but I cannot find the thread now.

I went and got an Income Letter/Affidavit from the US Consulate on September 3 this year. I submitted a copy with my application when getting a Non-Immigrant O visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane on September 5. I'm hoping I can use the same one next month when I apply at Chiang Mai Immigration for a one-year Extension of Stay for Retirement.

If I can also insert a question in here;

How long is an Income Letter/Affidavit from an embassy/consulate valid for an Extension of Stay for Retirement?

I thought I read at one time that Immigration will consider one valid for six months but I cannot find the thread now.

I went and got an Income Letter/Affidavit from the US Consulate on September 3 this year. I submitted a copy with my application when getting a Non-Immigrant O visa at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane on September 5. I'm hoping I can use the same one next month when I apply at Chiang Mai Immigration for a one-year Extension of Stay for Retirement.

The American Embassy in Bangkok issued a letter with documentation that Thailand Immigration, as of May 29th, has extended the validity period for the Income Verification Letter from 15 days to 6 months.

• Like 1