Regular Football in Bangkok?

deathshore

I am American, and prefer world football over US style. Love to bug my friends back in states: "Why call it "football"? There are only 4 instances in a game where ball is actually kicked: kick offs, punts, field goals and point after touchdown attempts. Besides being boring... smash mouth would be more appropriate."

• Like 1

American football is real football. A hard played physical game, not the same as soccer that the little girls play in elememtery school!!!!

Thanks for the responses.

As no one outside of the America plays "American football" or refers to football as soccer I thought it would be safe to assume people new what I was talking about.......!!!!!

American football is rugby for school girls.............

:0

Plus 1

In Canada we do have Canadian Football which is different from American Football and is based on Rugby but I've never been a fan at all - some of my relatives call it "gridiron football" and football is football (soccer to some)

It's always fun to distinguish sport - like the World Series involves how many nations ? vs say the World Cup :)

Oh and for the record basketball was created by a Canadian.

• Like 1

Football is football and known as such the world over.

Then there is American 'football' which appears to be loosely based on Rugby League except here the same guy throws an odd shaped leather 'ball' (sic) forwards to another guy whilst the rest of his team mates proceed to 'take out' the opposition every which way to enable him to score a touchdown without actually touching the ball down on the ground at all. Then another guy comes onto the filed and actually kicks the ball for a conversion... just like rugby.. And they do all this whilst dressed like gay bikers in helmets and leggings.

The half time entertainment is better though.

smile.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

American football is real football. A hard played physical game, not the same as soccer that the little girls play in elememtery school!!!!

If it is played by 'real hard men' as the second half of your sentence implies, why do they have to wear half a ton on Kevlar body armour to play it?

• Like 2

Things I like about world football: people of average stature can be exceptional, not genetic freaks like gridiron. Rules might fill up one page of notebook paper, as compared to a book that looks like was written by lawyers. I don't know the incidence in brain damage in soccer, but it must be far less than gridiron. And that brain damage can happen at all levels, not just pros. You can actually see a human out on the pitch, not a reject from Ironman IV. I would love to see any NFL player try to keep up the endurance of a pro soccer player. NFL etc is mostly standing around waiting for a play. The "action" in US football lasts as long as an advert jingle, whereas soccer is more like an extended jazz piece. My favorite sport is Aussie Rules footy. Those guys are nuts! Run 15-20 km per game, whack each other without pads, and high scoring like basketball.

Things I like about world football: people of average stature can be exceptional, not genetic freaks like gridiron. Rules might fill up one page of notebook paper, as compared to a book that looks like was written by lawyers. I don't know the incidence in brain damage in soccer, but it must be far less than gridiron. And that brain damage can happen at all levels, not just pros. You can actually see a human out on the pitch, not a reject from Ironman IV. I would love to see any NFL player try to keep up the endurance of a pro soccer player. NFL etc is mostly standing around waiting for a play. The "action" in US football lasts as long as an advert jingle, whereas soccer is more like an extended jazz piece. My favorite sport is Aussie Rules footy. Those guys are nuts! Run 15-20 km per game, whack each other without pads, and high scoring like basketball.

That master of international diplomacy, Prince Philip, once described Aussie Rules as a cross between football, rugby and a bar brawl. smile.png

Have to admit I quite like it myself though.

I got into watching Aussie Rules when I had my pub. It's a fast and open game and enjoyable to watch, though the variety of plays seems to me quite limited. Gridiron is a massive yawnathon - they need all the cheerleaders and razzamatazz, to take spectators minds off the fact that for 90% of the time there's bugger all happening on the pitch. A bit like watching Millwall, come to think about it!