Water repellent for car windows and side mirrors

johnnok

Hi,

Been driving and poor visibility on the sides with all that rain those last few days.

Any idea where I can get some water repellent (spray or else) for my car's windows and side mirrors? How much does it cost?

Hope to hear back from you.

Cheers :)

I have used a brand called 'rain x'. It works out on the highway at speed extremely good. In town driving at lower speeds still a good improvement.

There is a water repellant for aircraft windscreen that gives the best results, but hard to find, some bright chemist can probably give a solution mixture, for the do it your self group.

• Like 1

Just bought some from Tesco Lotus.

90baht. Spray on, leave to dry, spray on, wipe. Seems to work.

Also, remember that new wiper blades are cheap and often people are surprised when they replace them by how their old ones had degraded.

There's not many cars that have wipers on the side windows.

I have used a brand called 'rain x'. It works out on the highway at speed extremely good. In town driving at lower speeds still a good improvement.

There is a water repellant for aircraft windscreen that gives the best results, but hard to find, some bright chemist can probably give a solution mixture, for the do it your self group.

Is 'Rain-X' available in Thailand? I bought and used that in the US, brought it over here and it's excellent. However, the bottle is almost empty and I was thinking on having my buddies bring a refill when the come over next month.

Is 'Rain-X' available in Thailand? I bought and used that in the US, brought it over here and it's excellent. However, the bottle is almost empty and I was thinking on having my buddies bring a refill when the come over next month.

I know I'm late into this but short answer is yes.. Many places like TESCO, Autobachs, etc..

WD40 works as well

NO way!! It not only smears something terrible but it collects debris not repels it... Bad advice... OP just get the proper repellent, RainX, it's available... I've used it exclusively on the race track, most times I don't use my wipers as they smear the grease and other debris. I even use it when it's not raining as it repels other debris such as rubber and bugs and when they do hit the windshield they come off easier later and oft times in a race another car loses an engine or overheats and that debris also ends up on your glass and if you use your wipers it's greasy, oily and at times mixed with antifreeze so you're SOL if you use them.. It's saved my backside on more than a few occasions.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

WD40 works as well

NO way!! It not only smears something terrible but it collects debris not repels it... Bad advice... OP just get the proper repellent, RainX, it's available... I've used it exclusively on the race track, most times I don't use my wipers as they smear the grease and other debris. I even use it when it's not raining as it repels other debris such as rubber and bugs and when they do hit the windshield they come off easier later and oft times in a race another car loses an engine or overheats and that debris also ends up on your glass and if you use your wipers it's greasy, oily and at times mixed with antifreeze so you're SOL if you use them.. It's saved my backside on more than a few occasions.

Its an Old Irish Cure for Squeaky Wiper Blades.!!.coffee1.gif

Before you apply anything to your windows (and I agree rain-X is probably the best), you have to make sure the glass is totally free from contaminants or it won't do the job properly.

You can use methylated spirits or white spirit to thoroughly clean the glass. Alternatively, cut a spud in half and smear this all over the windows and leave overnight, then polish off.

Then apply the rain-X as per instructions.

If You rub it with a Potato the rain disperses. It being the Glass.thumbsup.gif .

true, an old trick here in Ozz, just cut a spud in half and rub it on the windows, the old fellas used it when the wipers were vacume driven and not worth 2bob.

WD40 works as well

Maybe applied conservatively to the blade itself but not on the glass directly..

Rain - x is the stuff to use. Get the windows spotless first. Do not get on the wiper blades. My son is a truck driver and all his trucks use it standard. At 60k the rain just runs off - no need to turn the wipers on. Two coats are better than one.

WD40 works as well

Maybe applied conservatively to the blade itself but not on the glass directly..

BTW WD 40 attacks rubber (petroleum products) so if they're rubber blades it's going to hasten their demise not extend it..